Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Quest Revamped version 1.1  (Read 171036 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: 16-bit style Simon's Quest Remake ready for release on Friday 5-20!!
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2011, 03:19:14 PM »
The palette you have is a bit contrasting in style. It's trying to be too much Rondo and SCV4 at the same time, notably the skin versus the gold trim. Examples attached.

I'm retooling the palette to be in the same general style as metroidquest chose to use; more like Rondo. I found that the Adventure Rebirth whips actually accompany the sprites quite well too. I'd recommend using them, fit to the sizes needed. Speaking of which, metroidquest, can you please post the sheets of all the whips you currently have in use? I can format the Adventure Rebirth ones to match the size required.

In addition, I'm removing the added frame in your whip animation, X. It's only an arm change and looks odd because of that. With the Adventure Rebirth whips it also not necessary. I have also added a frame at the end to go along with Adventure Rebirth's last whip frame (where it returns). It doesn't have to be used but I think it adds a little flow to it all. Attached is an animated example of all of this.

If you like where this is going, I'll continue to go ahead with this and post a full sheet when done.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2011, 06:03:09 PM »
That does look pretty good! I never did test the sprites for whip animations so if it does come off as a little wonky then you can go ahead and apply your science  ;) I also checked out the colorations too. The gold out-line for the rondo colors are superb, however I think the candy-apple red might be a bit tacky for the armor itself. The red I chose was based on an appeal for something more iron-like in terms of rust but not looking rusted. Almost like the armor was colored in blood. The SCV4 coloration is a nice in-between of the two; a dull red color the suits a dark environment and not as overpowering to the eyes as the one I made or Rondo's coloration.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2011, 06:39:25 AM »
metroidquest, can you please post the sheets of all the whips you currently have in use? I can format the Adventure Rebirth ones to match the size required.

All I need is Simon whipping (no whip). I can make my whips fit over him. Just leave it as is.

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »
All I need is Simon whipping (no whip). I can make my whips fit over him. Just leave it as is.

That sprite needs some serious touching up.... the hair and his thighs don't look right, and something about the armor just seems off.

Personally, I think the Richter one looks WAY better than it.... and this is coming from a guy who didn't want to see Richter in the game, lol.

Nice job for a fan work, but the ones made by Konami just look so much better. It would have been nice if someone took the Simon Belmont from the POR dual crash and expanded on that. That sprite would have looked perfect.
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2011, 11:29:28 AM »
It would have been nice if someone took the Simon Belmont from the POR dual crash and expanded on that. That sprite would have looked perfect.
I'd take a serious look at that one. Anyone have a sample?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2011, 11:33:12 AM »
CV4 Simon IS a konami sprite. I only just recolored it. The Simon from PoR, though an interesting take on his oldschool cover art, was kind of hit & miss. He's in the exact pose of the cover art but his whip attack doesn't conform to the rest of his body. His stance is extremely vertical with no attack action implemented through the rest of him. Only his outstretched arm and whip show that he is attacking. It's just to stiff and unrealistic. If they had shown his other arm towards his back it would help give the illusion that he is attacking. But as it stands it's not a very professional job even for a single sprite.

-X
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »
Yes, it's basically just a recolor of SCV4's set.

Attached is the Rondo style coloring sheet. I did remove the one custom whip frame that didn't quite work well. And since you aren't going to use the Adventure Rebirth whips, there's no reason to include the additional 'last frame' to the whipping. I'm not quite confident Richter's whips will be all that compatible with Simon though due to the different swinging positions he has.

I'm not sure about the lower idle animations either. X made them but I'm not sure they'd look right in use.

Either way, here it is.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2011, 05:51:38 PM »
metroidquest requested some idle stances for Simon so I had to come up with a method for the CV4 Simon to 'idle' in stance. I know the CV4 sprite really wasn't designed for such movements, but it was the best I could come up with. They might look better while animated but to see them without movement, it does get a bit difficult. Just to satisfy many-a-curiosity there uzo, perhaps you could also upload the whips & items too. You have to admit that the thorn whip is interesting.

-X

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
Oh, right. Sorry about that. I cut them out of the image because it was WAY over 256 colors in total. It's a good idea to separate these kinds of things anyway.

I really liked the whip icons here. Very nicely done.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 08:13:32 PM »
I can maybe come up with a Simon sprite, too.
I did give Simon extra animations in Serio's Fighting game (roll dodge, backdash, super jump), so I think I can come up with a cool Red Armor version.
Those whips & items are rockin' awesome, btw.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
I'd take a serious look at that one. Anyone have a sample?

BTW, those whips and items look bad ass! VERY nice, Who did the whips especially?

CV4 Simon IS a konami sprite. I only just recolored it. The Simon from PoR, though an interesting take on his oldschool cover art, was kind of hit & miss. He's in the exact pose of the cover art but his whip attack doesn't conform to the rest of his body. His stance is extremely vertical with no attack action implemented through the rest of him. Only his outstretched arm and whip show that he is attacking. It's just to stiff and unrealistic. If they had shown his other arm towards his back it would help give the illusion that he is attacking. But as it stands it's not a very professional job even for a single sprite.

Ok.... so just use that frame as a walking frame.  :) As for your sprite sheet above, sorry but something about it doesn't look right. It is still very good for something done by a normal person, but it looks off color wise. I am not an artist so I can't really explain it in correct terminology. :(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:35:38 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2011, 09:34:11 PM »
I used Corel photopaint to do the colorations on Simon. Corel's color palette comes off as a little washed so what you see on the program will not necessarily appear as is on a photo viewing program. The whips were done with a combination of SCV4's morning star whip and the leather whip taken from CV: Chronicles. If konami saw the thorn whip I made they would probably kick themselves for not using it in PoR. Their thorn whip looked cheap  :P The insperation for my thorn whip design came from an anime pic off the net called "Karuma the Demon".

-X

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2011, 09:35:57 PM »
I used Corel photopaint to do the colorations on Simon. Corel's color palette comes off as a little washed so what you see on the program will not necessarily appear as is on a photo viewing program. The whips were done with a combination of SCV4's morning star whip and the leather whip taken from CV: Chronicles. If konami saw the thorn whip I made they would probably kick themselves for not using it in PoR. Their thorn whip looked cheap  :P The insperation for my thorn whip design came from an anime pic off the net called "Karuma the Demon".

-X

If you made a thorn whip that HOT looking I may need to recruit you to make some icons for equippbles for me.   ;D That thing is outstanding looking, and yes the POR one SUCKED!

Offline AISTODIAOLO

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »
a fan's opinion...if u have time...and u want to be every1 happy...
u can have all the sprite characters in ur game...and...u can like...chose with who u want to play with before starting the game...or u could unlock the characters when u finish the game or something (replay value)...its ur choise...
...and if u wanna do it more extreme...each character could have a special skill (not something too good) ...but this is too much away from the original...
I m just sayin...u can keep you and the people happy by having both sprites of whichever char u wish in ur game...

anyways....I m looking forward for your game...cant wait to play it :3

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2011, 08:36:24 AM »
Still say you should of use the original Simon's quest color for Richter. Cool to see a Simon's Quest remake though.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Tags:

anything