Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Quest Revamped version 1.1  (Read 171023 times)

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Simon's Quest Revamped available for download today!!
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
To be honest, while in early Castlevanias they may have been somewhat interchangeable, (I mean, they never really cared enough to stick to ONE design for Simon alone,) But somewhere around Rondo and Symphony, they started giving each Belmont their own unique designs. they were no longer interchangeable after that. And Richter is no exception. his Rondo design is as infamous as his kojima design. Especially considering he is one of the most famous Belmonts (IRL AND in story) and his design(s) in relation with previous Belmonts is pretty distinct. So using him for a Castlevania 2 remake, isnt the best of ideas, even if you recolor him red.

Yeah, but Richter looks cool and anime-ish. So i used him because I like that look :)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
Yeah, but Richter looks cool and anime-ish. So i used him because I like that look :)

I actually agree with you about them being for the most part interchangeable... I mean let's face it, Richter looks just like Simon from Castlevania 4, except with an Anime style. And the initial simon from castlevania 1 and trevor looked EXACTLY the same basically. But in this case, it still feels like playing Richter because of the sounds and because by now people are so used to him being in so many games.

But my advice is if people don't like this, let someone edit Richter's sprite in a way to make him look more like Simon and send it to you. If you like it you can use it, if not tough for them. So far the sprites I have seen people offer for Simon here haven't looked nearly as cool as Richter's does. You could also use Simon from the x68000 version (not the faggot red hair version... the normal one. dear god, talk about gay), but he would need some touching up.

Again, since people have issues with this let them contribute (since you are happy with Richter as is), and then you can decide if you like their work or not. In all honesty, a small head edit, and some minor changes to Richter would make him look a LOT like Simon, but sadly no one here has even tried to do it.

As for PM'ing I use MSN, so if you want to chat feel free to u2u me your sn and I can write you on there.  8)
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
OK, here we go. Someone edit the Richter sprite keeping his size and form intact, but make him look like Simon and send me the spritesheets and I shall use him!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
After seeing what this actually came out to be, I can no longer uphold my support. You'll have to make due with X's sprites, unless someone else wants to do a set. Though, the way you keep rejecting people's help that pool of people is getting really thin for you.

I mean let's face it, Richter looks just like Simon from Castlevania 4, except with an Anime style.
I'm not sure if you're just trying to make excuses for him, or you are blind. They look nothing alike aside from they have long hair and a bandana of some sort.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:46:36 PM by uzo »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
OK, here we go. Someone edit the Richter sprite keeping his size and form intact, but make him look like Simon and send me the spritesheets and I shall use him!

That's what I proposed a few pages back.  But then you were all adamant about keeping everything the same as if this were the final full complete version and it seemed like nothing would change your mind.

Hint: With homebrew, it's never a final full complete version.  The minute people play it, they will give you bug reports, gripes, etc. that you can choose to address, or choose to ignore.  This is why alpha versions and beta versions are good, because you're only one person, the players are many, and will always find something you missed (unless you're a big gaming company and hire in-company game testers).

And NO, the Belmonts are not interchangeable.  That's as ignorant as saying every character in FFIII to FFV is interchangeable because they have the same dimensions of height, width, and the same animation templates.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »

Good luck with that dude, in the experience with my game unless people are interested in you project and want to contribute stuff to help with the creation of your game, it's hard to get other people to make for you the exact sprites that you want. My suggestion is that you would have better luck if you would start the Simon's sheet yourself, post it up, and then leave it up to be opensource so other people can adjust the sprites for you. People seem to be more inclined to help you out if you do the bulk of the work first...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »
After seeing what this actually came out to be, I can no longer uphold my support. You'll have to make due with X's sprites, unless someone else wants to do a set.
I'm not sure if you're just trying to make excuses for him, or you are blind. They look nothing alike aside from they have long hair and a bandana of some sort.

Oh really... let's see here...

Let me go thru the list here:

• Dark hair and bandanna on both.... check
  • Similar looking heads.... check
  • bracers... check
  • The fact that richter looks like simon with plain clothes on, or that simon looks like richter with armor on... check
  • Similar attacking, walking, and climbing stairs poses... check

Yeah, cause there are no similarities there, and if you anime-afy simon and make his colors more cheerful he wouldn't look like Richter.... suuuuuuure. And I bet the nes CV1 simon and cv3 trevor look soooooo different too. Right. ;)

Good luck with that dude, in the experience with my game unless people are interested in you project and want to contribute stuff to help with the creation of your game, it's hard to get other people to make for you the exact sprites that you want. My suggestion is that you would have better luck if you would start the Simon's sheet yourself, post it up, and then leave it up to be opensource so other people can adjust the sprites for you. People seem to be more inclined to help you out if you do the bulk of the work first...

My point exactly... people bitch, but when given the opportunity to fix the issue, they do nothing. Hence why I suggested that.... if people are too lazy then that is their problem and their loss. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:54:22 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »
They look different to me.  They have similar poses and attacks but they're not the same.  And they're definitely not interchangeable.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2011, 01:22:22 PM »
They look different to me.  They have similar poses and attacks but they're not the same.  And they're definitely not interchangeable.

By interchangeable he meant they really didn't matter to the story, and were just generic heroes that looked slightly different. Like cookie cutter characters. And he is right; they started adding all that deeper storyline stuff in with the belmonts sometime after SOTN, and then started making them unique.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
I probably should've brought this up before the project neared completion, but It slipped my mind at the time. I have on my computer a sample of sprites from some artist that I don't know his name. I saw them on a website long ago and I haven't heard anything about them being used in a project either. The sprite is that of Simon from X68000 (original that is) but was revamped into the CV2 Siomn and it was incredible to look at even if it was a little dark. Those who've seen my Simon sprite sheet should recognize the black color scheme as that's where I borrowed from. Jorge; If you want to see this sheet and show everyone else then send me your e-mail address. Trust me though, this sample sheet of Simon is wicked to look at!  :D

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »
The Trevor sprite is similar to the Simon sprite, but it's not the same.
Christopher is also different.  Yes, they have the 'belmont look' with the chiseled face.  They also inherit the same whipping technique and Belmont Stance(Chris is a southpaw though, as is John and Jonathan Morris), but they're not the same.  "Interchangeable" is arguable at best.
I'm not even talking about story.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Dengo vlad tepes

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
Take a look

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:20:36 PM by TheBelmontHunter »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »
A few people have already done that, I believe.
Serio has one variant in his CVBlah fighting game.
Sonic Reaper made a walking animation based on a really cool sprite that resembles his SotN outfit.
Someone made a spritesheet for a Flash-based game that's pretty great too.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Esco

• Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2011, 03:13:25 PM »
Here's a quick guide for anyone wants the best ending.... please note that at it is possible to get more items, but I just listed one of the quickest routes that I use:

• Buy holy water in jova;
  • beat the first mansion; get up to level 2 or 3 in it (time doesn't pass when you are in a mansion), and at least 200 hearts
  • go back to jova, get the white crystal (it should be day about the time that you get there)
  • go to the 2nd town; get the dagger if you want it, and the chain whip
  • go to the 3rd town; get the blue crystal (this should be done before the 2nd nightfall)
  • go to the 2nd mansion; get up to level 3 (if you haven't done so)
  • go back to jova, and go across the water WITHOUT the heart; get the red crystal (if you go to the mansion first, nightfall may hit before you can get back here, meaning you have to stand around fighting outside)
  • Now go back across the water, and then use the heart to get to the 3rd mansion; get about 250 hearts here
  • go to the last town before deborah cliff;get the morning star and some laurels (laurels are optional but help)
  • use the crystal at the cliff; get the flame whip then enter the 4th mansion and get up to level 4 (if you are not there yet)
  • Now go left to the 5th mansion; use the gold dagger to beat the boss and get the laurels here
  • go to castlevania and beat dracula; use the ring, gold dagger, and have around 50 hearts. You should be at level 5. As long as you stay on the right side and dodge descent this will be an easy fight.

That's it; there are ways to get every item in the game and get the best ending, but this was just designed as a refresher for those of use who haven't played the game in a while. It should taker about 4 game days like this to finish.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »
Theres always my CV2 Simon...

Tags:

anything