Poll

When playing metroidvanias, what's your preferred play-style?

Offensive.
11 (68.8%)
Defensive.
0 (0%)
Mixed/Balanced.
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 30, 2017, 10:50:01 PM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Clan de la Luz Project  (Read 21337 times)

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: December 24, 2016, 01:05:29 AM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
After years of hiatus, I am resuming the development of this game. Since the original post is now locked, I'm creating this new thread to keep you updated.

What is Clan de la Luz?
A metroidvania game project with influences from Konami's SOTN and AoS.

Is it Clan de la Luz a remake of some kind?
No. The main intention is to create a new game from ground up (original art, graphics, story, music, etc).

Why should i care for another metroidvania game?
Because the world needs a SOTN 2.0. In my opinion, the metroidvania genre is in a point where it needs to evolve, without losing its 2D roots. This is the final goal of the project.

What are the main features of this project? Is there something of interest in it, beyond being another castlevania "clone"?
Well, i can't go into details right now for obvious reasons. In the finished game you can expect to find some of the classics elements, like many weapons and items, inventory, a map similar to that of SOTN, shapeshifting powers, etc. I can tell you that under certain circumstances, you'll be able to perform combos or finishing moves. I want to reserve other features as a surprise.

Will the game be released soon?
Unfortunately, no. This projects demands a lot of work and time (specially on spriting).

Some little captures. Remember: this is WIP  :)

*Thanks to BMC_War Machine for his spelling check services  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:37:59 PM by kaonstantine »

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »
A GameMaker project, I take it?

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 12:21:55 PM »
A GameMaker project, I take it?

You are right. I'm using GM for this.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 01:30:42 PM »
You are right. I'm using GM for this.
Nice to see you back on the project Kanostantine!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
Looking good dude!  8)
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »
Intriguing. I hope to see more of this.
"Stuff and things."

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »
Nice to see you back on the project Kanostantine!
Thanks darkmanx! Good to see you continue working hard with your projects!

Looking good dude!  8)
Thank you, War Machine. It's getting better day by day

Intriguing. I hope to see more of this.
I'm working hard to show more of this project soon.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 02:05:26 PM »
The animations can certainly use some more work. I notice that the sprites for the skeleton are very misaligned. For example, when the skeleton transitions from Animation_Standing to Animation_ThrowBone, he starts randomly floating about 12 pixels in the air. The main character seems to have the same issue, he snaps a few pixels in the air after recovering from being attacked by the mud men.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »
As always, it's nice to see more new fan projects. Good luck!

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »
The animations can certainly use some more work. I notice that the sprites for the skeleton are very misaligned. For example, when the skeleton transitions from Animation_Standing to Animation_ThrowBone, he starts randomly floating about 12 pixels in the air. The main character seems to have the same issue, he snaps a few pixels in the air after recovering from being attacked by the mud men.
Yes, I noticed those errors too. They will be fixed in the next update. Thank you!

As always, it's nice to see more new fan projects. Good luck!
I agree. New fan projects are like fresh air.  :)

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 11:13:39 PM »
Time to work on a more interesting look for the main character, since his current outfit is too plain.

Still unsure about what to pick.

Name: Nil Fernandez.

Nil lives with his grandparents and his sister. He lost his parents in a car accident, at the age of 10.  Following his father's footsteps, Nil studies archeology. He is interested in mythology and rituals of ancient cultures. Nil's other passion is music. Along with some of his classmates, he formed a band called "Numen".

Strange circumstances surrounded the 'death' of Nil's parents. Their bodies were never found at the scene of the accident. This has disturbed Nil from long time ago. Sometimes he feels his grandparents do know more about the accident, but they seem to avoid the subject every time he tries to talk about it.

School/classes are ending and Nil is preparing for his recital tonight. He ignores how much his life is going to change very soon...

I used these designs as references:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 11:18:46 PM »
It's hard to say which I like better, but I think they both look pretty good. Definitely liking some of the hand-drawn art you have on here, though.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 03:59:36 AM »
It's hard to say which I like better, but I think they both look pretty good. Definitely liking some of the hand-drawn art you have on here, though.
Thanks. It's nice you like both. I can be very indecisive sometimes, specially in things related to graphics. What seems certain is that he looks better now... i  guess. ,
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:45:45 PM by kaonstantine »

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 06:18:40 PM »
Succubus is bored. Do you want to play with her? I promise she won't throw the game controller at you ;D. This is part of the Puase screen. I'm currently working on GUI elements and menus.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 06:19:41 PM »
Time to work on a more interesting look for the main character, since his current outfit is too plain.

Still unsure about what to pick.

Name: Nil Fernandez.

Nil lives with his grandparents and his sister. He lost his parents in a car accident, at the age of 10.  Following his father's footsteps, Nil studies archeology. He is interested in mythology and rituals of ancient cultures. Nil's other passion is music. Along with some of his classmates, he formed a band called "Numen".

Strange circumstances surrounded the 'death' of Nil's parents. Their bodies were never found at the scene of the accident. This has disturbed Nil from long time ago. Sometimes he feels his grandparents do know more about the accident, but they seem to avoid the subject every time he tries to talk about it.

School/classes are ending and Nil is preparing for his recital tonight. He ignores how much his life is going to change very soon...

I used these designs as references:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Very Devil May Cry Ish.. love it.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer