Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586658 times)

Offline Briraka

• Hunter in Training
  • \m/
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #1365 on: December 27, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
Got Doom 3 BFG Edition, but decided on playing the first two games that came with. Played the first Doom up to Thy Flesh Consumed and it's pretty fun and I can see why people would consider it a classic. Then I did a bit of 2 and it pretty much seems like the first game, but with more monsters and the super shotgun thrown in. That's not really a bad thing though, I liked the first one and I welcome more of it.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1366 on: December 28, 2016, 02:06:05 AM »
Yes definitely have been questing and doing a lot of hunts. I'm planning to see how far I can get without using Ascension, so far I'm on chapter 3 and I haven't touched it and touch wood no deaths thus far.

Healing items and phoenix downs are cheap or Gladio picks them up for free while walking when his survival level is high enough. I haven't gotten a game over screen yet but I had a close encounter with an effing coeurl who one-shotted me. The game gives you a few seconds to use a phoenix down.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1367 on: December 28, 2016, 06:51:41 AM »
Healing items and phoenix downs are cheap or Gladio picks them up for free while walking when his survival level is high enough. I haven't gotten a game over screen yet but I had a close encounter with an effing coeurl who one-shotted me. The game gives you a few seconds to use a phoenix down.

Cool. :) Are you enjoying it? I think it's great so far.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1368 on: December 29, 2016, 01:55:32 AM »
Cool. :) Are you enjoying it? I think it's great so far.

Yes. I feel that I'm part of the road trip. Do not forget to listen to the radios scattered around because some important story points are narrated there and they change every chapter or so. I love the idea that the game lets you do things at your own pace.

I love fishing! It was the first skill that I maxed to 10. hahaha.

I've currently taken a short hiatus from the game due to year end festivities and stuff. But I'll return to it once things get back to normal next year.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1369 on: December 29, 2016, 10:28:43 AM »
Yes. I feel that I'm part of the road trip. Do not forget to listen to the radios scattered around because some important story points are narrated there and they change every chapter or so. I love the idea that the game lets you do things at your own pace.

Ah tres cool, thanks :)
Yes most definitely the game's pacing works well, I wasn't 100% sure on the 'open world' FF, I mean I really liked XII and loved playing through and exploring Gran Pulse on FFXIII, but this world definitely feels real and complete. It's definitely got a sense of tangibility previously unseen in JRPG's.

I previously wasn't sure how good next gen open world would be, but honestly I'm actually really looking forward to Zelda BOTW now :)

I love fishing! It was the first skill that I maxed to 10. hahaha.

Oh really, I haven't been fishing since that first side quest, must get back into it.

On what you were saying before about Gladio picking up items etc I haven't seen this, but I'm also not very leveled up via camping as I generally try not to level up too high despite my questing habits. I've just done a couple of quests that really took their toll though, as a result I'm down a substantial amount of cash and just evened out as we speak. Fun times though, I've beaten every rank 2 quest available, I'm nearly at 3, and I believe on around L15-16, still no ascension.

I've currently taken a short hiatus from the game due to year end festivities and stuff. But I'll return to it once things get back to normal next year.

Same, I'm actually renting a house with some friends on the coast over NY's. It'll be like personal questing ;)
I'm actually really looking forward to coming back and playing FFXV, and I can't say I've felt like this about a game in a very long time. It's not like being overjoyed (the way I used to feel about opening a new Castlevania game in the past) but it's more like being secretly impressed, like a slow but intense burn.

I hope your festivities are fun Shiroi.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1370 on: December 29, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »
Got Doom 3 BFG Edition, but decided on playing the first two games that came with. Played the first Doom up to Thy Flesh Consumed and it's pretty fun and I can see why people would consider it a classic. Then I did a bit of 2 and it pretty much seems like the first game, but with more monsters and the super shotgun thrown in. That's not really a bad thing though, I liked the first one and I welcome more of it.

True classics. And they're really endless games since you can always download more fan made levels and total conversions free and legally.

Offline Briraka

• Hunter in Training
  • \m/
    • Awards
« Reply #1371 on: December 29, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »
True classics. And they're really endless games since you can always download more fan made levels and total conversions free and legally.
I know, right? It's awesome.

Too bad I got the PS3 version. :P

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1372 on: December 29, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »
I know, right? It's awesome.

Too bad I got the PS3 version. :P

Doom 2 (the only one you need to play the vast majority of WADs) is pretty cheap on Gog and Steam, especially if you catch it on a sale.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1373 on: December 29, 2016, 10:10:45 PM »
Oh really, I haven't been fishing since that first side quest, must get back into it.

On what you were saying before about Gladio picking up items etc I haven't seen this, but I'm also not very leveled up via camping as I generally try not to level up too high despite my questing habits. I've just done a couple of quests that really took their toll though, as a result I'm down a substantial amount of cash and just evened out as we speak. Fun times though, I've beaten every rank 2 quest available, I'm nearly at 3, and I believe on around L15-16, still no ascension.

Same, I'm actually renting a house with some friends on the coast over NY's. It'll be like personal questing ;)
I'm actually really looking forward to coming back and playing FFXV, and I can't say I've felt like this about a game in a very long time. It's not like being overjoyed (the way I used to feel about opening a new Castlevania game in the past) but it's more like being secretly impressed, like a slow but intense burn.

I hope your festivities are fun Shiroi.

Fish in every fish spot since new fishes add more to the skill points. That's what I did and the more you fish, the better you get. Just don't forget to camp/sleep somewhere to get the level up on the skill.

Gladio's survival skill levels up the more you walk. You can see what he got on the right side of the screen under the map for a few seconds after he obtains the item. He also gets a item randomly after battles. If you didn't notice it, you can see that your inventory increases even if you don't buy stuff. I got 30 phoenix downs even if I haven't even bought one.

Camping levels up Iggy's cooking skill aside from allowing you to level up. And making you drool for the food in the process.

I am pouring AP on the ascension because it is nice to be OP for the chapter bosses. But the hunts aren't that easy as you move up the hunting ladder (I'm at rank 6 I think) though they give a lot of gil. High risk high return. haha. Chap 3 opens up a lot of areas and hunts. Go crazy with them and you will level up and earn money faster than you think. Currently with 200k gil and counting... Can this be converted to real cash?  ;)

Renting a house with friends is awesome, don't forget the booze~! But for me travelling to a new place solo is the most enlightening experience.

I am a person that avoids RPGs like the plague since the level grinding is tedious but this game made me enjoy doing all those little side quests that allows me to level up without making me feel bad. Yup. I am still getting impressed by this game and I also can't wait to return to Eos. :)

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #1374 on: January 02, 2017, 04:43:03 PM »
I was f**ked by expert difficulty of Mega Man ZXA. The damn spider mid boss at the tower. Sure they made only expert of the game can reach the secret ending. Pain in the a**.

Zwei! gave me another kind of experience which was good but I was confused again and troubled by player's hit detection during battle.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:48:35 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1375 on: January 03, 2017, 02:04:38 AM »
Been playing Rare Replay the last few nights...man, they definitely had some interesting games. Stuff like Knight Lore is a bit too esoteric for me, but man, it's fun to watch someone competent go through it.

Been playing a lot of Battletoads Arcade on it. Heh, leave it to me to find a compilation game with some of the most creative video games of their respective times, and I gravitate towards the mindless beat-em-up. I just love the style of that game, and I'm a sucker for decent beat-em-ups, I guess.

Thinking of playing through the original Battletoads and using the rewind function to progress. But...then I'd be playing Battletoads. And even cheating your way through is an exercise in frustration. Might do the same for Cobra Triangle, since its waterfall stage is like the Turbo Tunnel...the game is perfectly doable up until that point.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #1376 on: January 03, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »
FINALLY played Terranigma......holy sheet why did I not get this as a kid?????? Couldn't put it down, beat it in 2 days lol, such a great game! If i had to catorgize it, I would say it is a perfect blend of link to the past meets soul blazer meets crystalis . Flawless Victory!  8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:20:13 AM by BMC_War Machine »
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1377 on: January 16, 2017, 01:23:45 AM »
Just played through Battletoads on Rare Replay the other day, using the rewind function as needed. Hahah, I'm a dirty cheater. That Clinger Winger stage is still a bitch nonetheless. Such a fun game to experience, but you have to be a superhuman or have lots of dedication to memorization to beat it legit.

Now playing Mega Man 10...what a weird one. I went through all of the regular stages thinking, "what's with the shop items? This game is easy! Why would I need these?" Then I get to the Wily stages and realize that I need to max out on all weapons and energy tanks to stand a chance (at least for me anyway). Haven't seen a difficulty curve like this in a while. Now I think I'm too lazy to give the Wily stages a go again. I just don't know if I can be bothered at this point, lol. The game is so by-the-numbers, anyway...nothing bad, but nothing great...it's just kind of there. Now I think I want to go back and play MM2 or MM3 instead.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1378 on: January 16, 2017, 03:36:57 AM »
Now playing Mega Man 10...what a weird one. I went through all of the regular stages thinking, "what's with the shop items? This game is easy! Why would I need these?" Then I get to the Wily stages and realize that I need to max out on all weapons and energy tanks to stand a chance (at least for me anyway). Haven't seen a difficulty curve like this in a while. Now I think I'm too lazy to give the Wily stages a go again. I just don't know if I can be bothered at this point, lol. The game is so by-the-numbers, anyway...nothing bad, but nothing great...it's just kind of there. Now I think I want to go back and play MM2 or MM3 instead.

I got slack with Wily in MM9, specifically that part where you're underwater and have to use the spring to superjump upwards. I always hit the damn spikes which border the next screen, and it was a lot of effort to get back there.
It was like the first sigma midboss in X6, that looks like a cluster of bacteria. I almost beat it a few times, but the game doesn't allow you to save with full E tanks, so I regretfully (one of the only times in my gaming career) gave up.

I've still been playing FFXV, pumped about 50 hours into it thus far. It's a damn good game. If anyone mentions it, please no spoliers! As I've gone out of my way to avoid them all this time.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1379 on: January 16, 2017, 09:42:56 PM »
I've still been playing FFXV, pumped about 50 hours into it thus far. It's a damn good game. If anyone mentions it, please no spoliers! As I've gone out of my way to avoid them all this time.

I've got 103 hours from loads of sidequesting and I plan to finish the main story tomorrow~♪

Tags: