Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Anniversary Collection Incoming?  (Read 52976 times)

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Castlevania Anniversary Collection Incoming?
« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2019, 07:43:58 AM »
I've had no issues getting through any secton of CV4 in regards to input delay. It could be your tv.

Mhmh yes, may as well be the case, yet never had (or at least noticed) any input lag issue with any other game before and have been playing all some sort of stuff, even competitive fighting games online, dunno :/

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2019, 09:05:48 AM »
Some people got audio issues (again, not PC-exclusive).

I noticed and documented audio issues in Castlevania 1, you can hear them here.

Stalker and the level clear jingle both have high-pitched beeps in them. They are guaranteed/ consistent, meaning you can't avoid them and hear the songs as they're supposed to sound. I encountered this on both Switch and PC, so we can assume for now that it happens on all platforms.

There may also be aliasing issues with the audio. In that same twitter thread I posted a comparison of the SFX for attacking the bone pillar enemy, and it sounds very different. This is a very minor gripe compared to the beeps, but it's indicative of other possible minor sound issues.

Good news is I've heard most of the CV2 tracks now as well, and I haven't run into anything big/ obvious there.

Someone is suggesting that the SFX in Bloodlines are a bit off as well.

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »
Anyhow Im pretty confident everything will be fixed, presumably with the japanese releases addon update, as the emulation has been handled by M2 who are basically the standard for classic to modern hardware porting\emulation. At least I would be very very surprised and disappointed if they didnt tbh.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »
aside from the angle of the buttons, it's generally faithful to the burned-into-memory NES controls; and moreover, it's how the GBA Castlevania games played on GBA

The slant on a GBA/SP isn't as steep so it feels more natural. Playing GBA games on a DS/Lite feels uncomfortable as hell to me because the B+A slant is much steeper.

I'd love custom button mapping and a 4:3 option that doesn't blur or filter the image in any way. Other than that, the emulation is incredibly solid (for the most part) and the input latency is surprisingly low. Another success for M2 in that regard.

CV1's sound gets pretty mucked up sometimes on PS4, consistent with the above documented beeps. I don't know if that's an emulation goof or if it's a quirk exclusive to the pre-revision version of the game. Either way, I hope they update the collection with REV-A.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:23:41 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Yeah playing on PC and Switch, haven't noticed any latency issues. I sat down to beat CV1 on both, and parts with a higher demand for precision timing felt exactly right.

I'd also like button mapping options. Not that you can't use outside options on PC and PS4, but also no reason it shouldn't be baked into the game. I was able to adjust but it felt like the opposite of what it should be.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:37:08 PM by bucky »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2019, 02:50:01 PM »
Some of the ideas mentioned in the book could be cool. I know some have been added in other games like turning into a werewolf, but things like swinging from curtains (there's a little CV3 mock-up picture of it) could be fun. I haven't even started playing the games just been reading the details.

Yeah, the werewolf and silver bullet-type stuff were in Legacy of Darkness: https://youtu.be/CSZD_sGd6Y4
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:11:54 PM by RichterB »

Offline bucky

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2019, 08:53:44 PM »
+2
Ah, so I found the exact culprit of the weird beeps in the CV1 music.

Short explanation is that their NES emulator doesn't know how to handle "Pitch 0" from the triangle channel. I'm now fairly sure that Pitch 0 was only used in 4 specific instances in the CV1 soundtrack, which is why they only happen where they do. Examples and more detailed explanation here.

Though this would be completely unrelated to other, smaller issues with the audio, like the aforementioned possible aliasing.

tl;dr - The original CV1 soundtrack does have weird clicks in those places. In the Anniversary Collection, they've turned into more-noticeable beeps.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2019, 11:11:31 PM »
Has anyone had any issues with timed jumps on rotating platform in the trick manor in SCV4? For some reason there seems to be some slight delay in the input which makes it hell to go through the stage, i could do it almost eye-closed on the SFC, I'm playing on Switch and literally had a game over in the first half of the first block :-\

Ok, I'm getting this problem, too. I'm getting it on PC. I didn't have input lag in the other titles I was playing, but now playing SCV-IV, yes, stage 4's rotating green platforms have some issues, especially after the first few screens. Basically you have to double-tap the jump button, or else you fall right through them as they rotate. Definitely not like that on the SNES; I just double checked.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2019, 01:43:00 AM »
I find it very interesting that this currently unnamed Castlevania producer suggests in his/her interview with Michiru Yamane that she's been asked to partake in "multiple projects" at this person's request.

She's been freelance for nearly 11 years, so I'm thinking this isn't in past context, but current context. If she's not doing the new tracks for Grimoire of Souls, I think this is Konami's first public wink at a new project.

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »
Ok, I'm getting this problem, too. I'm getting it on PC. I didn't have input lag in the other titles I was playing, but now playing SCV-IV, yes, stage 4's rotating green platforms have some issues, especially after the first few screens. Basically you have to double-tap the jump button, or else you fall right through them as they rotate. Definitely not like that on the SNES; I just double checked.

Yep, only have had this problem on SCV4 as well

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2019, 11:40:44 AM »
+1
Yep, only have had this problem on SCV4 as well

What platform are you playing on? (I'm using PC, and I'm wondering why this issue hasn't cropped up for others. It might be that people aren't aware of the original game's feel, and just chalk it up to old-school hardness, though, as I have heard some general complaints about platforming in the game.)

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2019, 05:57:01 AM »
Aside from Simon Dante and Belnades ninja, what other stuff were left on the drawing board? It's gonna be awhile before I get own copy (if ever) so I don't mind knowing.

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2019, 08:42:39 AM »
What platform are you playing on? (I'm using PC, and I'm wondering why this issue hasn't cropped up for others. It might be that people aren't aware of the original game's feel, and just chalk it up to old-school hardness, though, as I have heard some general complaints about platforming in the game.)

Switch

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2019, 06:54:09 AM »
+1
Aside from Simon Dante and Belnades ninja, what other stuff were left on the drawing board? It's gonna be awhile before I get own copy (if ever) so I don't mind knowing.

Simon's Quest:
- Planned outdoor elements: collasping bridges, tornadoes, and strong winds (only at certain times).

Castlevania IV:
- The developers were considering setting the game in modern day.
- Branching paths were planned.
- A second castle was planned which emerged from the lake after clearing the first castle.

The Adventure:
- The Deathstalker enemies were orginally planned to be human cult members.

Belmont's Revenge:
- A stage was planned in which you're supposed to escape from the collasping castle after defeating Dracula.

Bloodlines:
- Another scrapped character: Bolt Ericson. A dwarf-like enemy with a mace as a weapon.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2019, 11:36:31 PM »
(fantasizes that they’ll release Vampire Killer as DLC cause they skipped it!  and while they’re at it, Getsu Fuhma too)

Tags:

anything