Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I know the feeling.  (Read 13020 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2023, 10:20:52 AM »
+3
If we're going to complain about continuity then we have to note that Konami fucked things up with the whole history of the series, and matching it to Bram Stoker's book, and that doesn't even address how their depiction of Dracula, especially before his own birth, fucks up the actual timeline as well. So...

To be fair that was IGA's mistake and not Konami's. IGA made LoI that gave us a very different version of Dracula, which threw a rather huge wrench into the continuity of the series. One wrench out of several in fact but the biggest one by far. Dongled explained Konami's original history of Castlevania in his video CASTLEVANIA DECLASSIFIED. And to me at least it worked well enough and went along with what I felt about Castlevania as a kid.

What's going on with this NetFLIX series is the same thing that's been going on with a lot of other shows and movies the past ten years or so; pandering to a very specific demograph of people who don't even make up the majority but like to think they are. And who expect us to like what they serve for dinner. And of course if we don't like it we fall under numerous accusations (omitted). But the sad truth is, whatever they touch they either ruin or destroy. Maria isn't someone who's gonna mistreat nor misogynise Richter as she idolizes him. She sees him as her most beloved older brother and thus helps him rescue her beloved sister and the others. Tera had no powers and her role in Rondo was very clear; a Nun of the local church. She doesn't need powers to help Richter as she helps in her own established way (through a prayer and goodluck charm). And as for Anette herself; it's blackwashing an already established character and giving her powers too. That pretty much destroys any chance of telling the future Rondo story as we know it due to the drastic changes of these well-established characters. Then of course we have this;

Every LGBTQ+ character in the Netflix Castlevania universe
Alucard (bisexual, OG series)
Striga (lesbian, OG series)
Morana (lesbian, OG series)
Taka (gay or bisexual man, OG series)
Olrox (gay man, Nocturne)
Edouard (gay or bisexual man, Nocturne)
Mizrak (gay or bisexual man, Nocturne)

None of this is even remotely consequential to CV or the CV story. It's just forced (heavy-handed) and serves no real purpose except to pander to the aforementioned "specific demograph". If said story isn't about the above it shouldn't even be a footnote.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:22:56 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2023, 12:34:42 PM »
+1
When I got mad at Lord of Shadows it wasn't because of the change to continuity. It was because those games sucked.

And Nocturne doesn't? Or S4 of the OG series? (I actually kinda liked S3 halfway through for its weirdness and vampire titties.)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jeepy

• Devil Summoner
  • Hunter in Training
  • 死んでいいよ、いやいやまじで
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2023, 05:42:42 PM »
Yep, that anon nailed it.
MEGIDOLAON!

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2023, 08:32:31 PM »
If we're going to complain about continuity then we have to note that Konami fucked things up with the whole history of the series, and matching it to Bram Stoker's book, and that doesn't even address how their depiction of Dracula, especially before his own birth, fucks up the actual timeline as well. So...

Maybe we should stop giving a shit about continuity and just enjoy shit for what it is.

When I got mad at Lord of Shadows it wasn't because of the change to continuity. It was because those games sucked.

In this anime there's no continuity AND it sucks.

Offline Hayoam

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2023, 01:01:49 AM »
Nocturne strays significantly/completely from the source material, but I also don't think the original post is a very nuanced take.

I myself am doing something similar with the Treasury level and the Dragon boss in my own game. The lessons learned from the wealth hoarding dragon can be seen as far back as ancient literature, and we are living in a time where this particular legend feels more relatable than ever. Nocturne strays far from the source material, but its also fun to see these characters in a setting that mirrors our own reality.

You making a game eh, I'm interested Do you have a footage?
I myself making a game a very short one as a first project.

Offline Hayoam

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2023, 01:15:55 AM »
+3

Maybe we should stop giving a shit about continuity and just enjoy shit for what it is.

Say you're saying we have to become consoomers and just gobble whatever shit they throw at us, no way might as well just shed your humanity and become a drone.

I disagree on LOS sure in the begining I hated how it's not the same as traditional CV however I begun seeing it as it's own thing so it gets a pass for me however LOS2 definitley suck as a game regardless of everything, the first game was better. I loved how they brought back the forgotten one it was pretty cool specially when you fight him at higher difficulties.

Offline Hayoam

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2023, 01:18:38 AM »

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2023, 09:24:18 AM »
Yep, you get a bunch or nerd fans together and all they do is complain. "Oh no, the changed something." "Oh no, there's gays in my story." Nice to see it's not different here.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2023, 11:53:05 AM »
+2
Ad hominems are so passé.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2023, 12:32:28 PM »
+2
This strikes me as an insidious betrayal of CastleVania fans; it's like we no longer exist. 

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2023, 02:01:31 PM »
+2
When I hear the claim a game such as, hell, Belmont’s Revenge, can’t be faithfully adapted into another medium, the animation storyteller in me shouts “TRY me” and I wish I had the kind of time, energy, and attention resources to prove it.

(Ask me about the rest of ParoVadius some time.)

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 02:04:35 PM »
What's going on with this NetFLIX series is the same thing that's been going on with a lot of other shows and movies the past ten years or so; pandering to a very specific demograph of people who don't even make up the majority but like to think they are. And who expect us to like what they serve for dinner. And of course if we don't like it we fall under numerous accusations (omitted). But the sad truth is, whatever they touch they either ruin or destroy. Maria isn't someone who's gonna mistreat nor misogynise Richter as she idolizes him. She sees him as her most beloved older brother and thus helps him rescue her beloved sister and the others. Tera had no powers and her role in Rondo was very clear; a Nun of the local church. She doesn't need powers to help Richter as she helps in her own established way (through a prayer and goodluck charm). And as for Anette herself; it's blackwashing an already established character and giving her powers too. That pretty much destroys any chance of telling the future Rondo story as we know it due to the drastic changes of these well-established characters. Then of course we have this;

None of this is even remotely consequential to CV or the CV story. It's just forced (heavy-handed) and serves no real purpose except to pander to the aforementioned "specific demograph". If said story isn't about the above it shouldn't even be a footnote.
Facts of the matter.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2023, 02:41:20 PM »
What's going on with this NetFLIX series is the same thing that's been going on with a lot of other shows and movies the past ten years or so; pandering to a very specific demograph of people who don't even make up the majority but like to think they are. And who expect us to like what they serve for dinner. And of course if we don't like it we fall under numerous accusations (omitted). But the sad truth is, whatever they touch they either ruin or destroy. Maria isn't someone who's gonna mistreat nor misogynise Richter as she idolizes him.

Could the "specific demograph" be their huge fanbase that keeps making the show a big success for them every single season?

You list out the non straights as to reveal some nefarious agenda. Yes, in the modern era, a lot of people are choosing to be more inclusive. My nefarious agenda when including Irina into the game was to make it more inclusive than the game that inspired it, and reality validates me as the many, many times I've demoed CN at conventions, girls and women always choose to play as Irina. It's called trying to be more inclusive and considerate of others who have been traditionally left out of the fun.

Willingly going down these toxic gamergate rabbit holes is an act of self destruction. Watch yourself X.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2023, 04:58:43 PM »
+1
I chose Chun Li in Street Fighter II because she was awesome and easy to master.  I never saw my nuanced breed of Hispanic+ in any of my escapist entertainment and I never felt left out; I was too busy BEING Chun Li, Dhalsim, Adam Hunter, Akane, Shantae, Princess Daisy, or any of the other countless Player Ones.

This baked-in diversity, of course, preceded the racewashing everything got hit with about five or so years ago, and I can’t help noticing how certain distinct Crayons have been coming out winners while mutts such as myself have been demonized for unpopular opinions. 

The next divisive series best include Eskimos and Assyrians just to be sure.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 05:04:45 PM by Eric Roman »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2023, 08:05:59 PM »
+4
If you love the forced inclusion and the diversity thats awesome more power to ya... but don't try to call out people that _dont_ like it for valid reasons and try to make it like they're anti whatever.

I have zero issues with whatever anyones into and is included in whatever... as long as its all consenting and not effecting me I honestly couldnt give a shit less.

We had years of everyone in everything being white and next to no one complained ever. Then bored people decided to start getting offended on behalf of people that generally didnt care that they werent represented. Now everything has to be overly inclusive or all the white people that get offended over everything that has nothing to do with them will try to call you out on it.

The problem isnt inclusion. Its people looking for any reason they can find in every little thing in their lives to be offended even if its doesnt involve them and then making it everyone elses problem. Thats the problem.

Kinda off topic but it all leads back to: you can dislike something for overdone inclusion and not be anti blahblahblah whatever. Inclusion can make stuff worse when it serves no point other than to include it to pander to a specific audience. Just like not liking violence or nudity in something when its there just for the sake of having it.

In the case of this show I hate all the inclusion cause none of it makes any sense in the setting or has jack shit to do with Castlevania. None of it moves the story along or adds any depth to the story or the characters. Its done solely to pander to their preferred audience and thats it. If they wanna make a show about a bunch of lgbt+ etc etc fighting vampires and undead then don't call it Castlevania cause none of that fits into anything thats been established in the fuckin 30 years the series has been around.

I don't have a problem with the show. I have a problem with it being called Castlevania when it has fuck all to do with Castlevania
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 08:10:12 PM by Aridale »

Tags: