Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Dungeon Award Sprite Contest  (Read 57408 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: 1st Annual Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 05:10:54 AM »
No, that all makes perfect sense to me.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 06:19:38 AM »
+1
Still thinking about how exactly I think we should handle it, but I do agree "originality" is a bogus category. Unless the task is to come up with something new, like a brand new enemy design, it doesn't really fit. At least not for this specific one.

But more importantly, where will our contestants stay together so we can manufacture drama and edit the episodes to look crazy and everyone crying. Make sure to get dramatic shots of my un-amused face before I kick someone off the show. SORRY BUT YOUR PIXELS GET DELETED HERE. Then hit them with a giant Recycle Bin. Millions of dollars here we come!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2014, 07:07:01 AM »
Ok, good points all around. I was mostly brainstorming anyways.

Let's narrow the list down to just 3 to 4 category's then....

Please post your suggestions for the category's we should stick with guys!

After reading everyone's feedback, I would say:

Adherence to theme X/10
Quality x/10
Skill x/10)
Animation (bonus points? Maybe up to 5?)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:08:49 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2014, 07:13:20 AM »
Wouldn't Skill and Animation pretty much fall into Quality?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »
Wouldn't Skill and Animation pretty much fall into Quality?

Well, I think Animation would be a separate deal, I don't think it falls under Quality.

That's why I was thinking of it being just bonus points. Especially since you aren't required to have animation. It's basically extra work a member choices to include or not to include.

Technically you would be judging the "quality" of animation by the amount of bonus points you are willing to give.

I.E. A person might get 1 point for some type of animation in their spritework but it's could be animated better and has issues...if that makes sense...

Skill, as ThePlotTwist mentioned would be the most technical.

Now finally Quality as I see it would be how the actual sprite translates to the viewer. I.E. Crispness, Blurry Sprites, and overall detail. That at least is the short version as I see it...lol

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »
Here's the thing, if you're not a judge your view on what determines as Quality is largely irrelevant. This is why we need to make sure every judge if someone whose spriting skill is uncontested (i.e. our good Reverend), and also why judge rotation will be a pain. Having judge slots open for theoretically everyone is great and all, but that also opens the way for people who might not be the best interpreter of the scoring categories sitting in that seat. I think there should be set judges just to make this shit easier, but it's not looking like anyone will agree with me.

Seeing as this is an artistic contest, Quality as a judging aspect is and should be pretty obviously only applying to technical skill. Call it Skill, call it Quality, whichever works. But you keep trying to advocate that Quality should apply to individual opinions, which is really just mucking this shit up. My original post of judging categories was fine, because we've yet to run into any issues with that scoring system over on Inc. I don't see the point of having sprite contests if half the damn thread are people arguing over different definitions of the same words. This thread is now at four pages and there are only two entries. I think that speaks for itself.

So, I'll repeat myself, only I'll explain in detail this time.

-Overall Design
This means we're judging it on how good the visual design itself is, without factoring in technical sprite quality.
-Originality
Plainly put, how original is the design? Has it been done before? Is the sprite an obvious edit or bad Franken?
-Technical Quality
This is a judgement on the technical sprite quality itself; whether or not it is cleanly lined and well-shaded, proportionally correct, no major errors, etc.
-Animation
Does the contest call for animation in its entries to begin with? If so, this wouldn't be factored in since animation quality is already covered under Technical Quality; if the contest only asks for a static sprite, animating it could potentially give that contestant an extra point for animating it.
-Various Other Bonuses
These can be anything that pertains to the individual contest, but not totally necessary for the basic contest rules. So, if there's a contest that already covers the Basic Three and Animation, this would best be used for entries that go above and beyond; such as a "make a mockup" contest entry doing mockups in multiple styles.

So, taking those into account, let's make a hypothetical scoring guide.

Overall Design - x/10
Originality - x/10
Technical Quality - x/10
Animation - x/1
Bonus - x/1

So if we were to hypothetically use all five, the maximum score would be 32, 30 if nothing but the basic rules were followed.

This isn't as complicated as you people are making it. All we'd need are those Basic Three and Animation when it counts. The Various Other Bonuses may not even be necessary, but I felt like explaining the prospect of it.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:41:59 AM by Dracula9 »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »
Here's the thing, if you're not a judge your view on what determines as Quality is largely irrelevant. This is why we need to make sure every judge if someone whose spriting skill is uncontested (i.e. our good Reverend), and also why judge rotation will be a pain. Having judge slots open for theoretically everyone is great and all, but that also opens the way for people who might not be the best interpreter of the scoring categories sitting in that seat. I think there should be set judges just to make this shit easier, but it's not looking like anyone will agree with me.

Seeing as this is an artistic contest, Quality as a judging aspect is and should be pretty obviously only applying to technical skill. Call it Skill, call it Quality, whichever works. But you keep trying to advocate that Quality should apply to individual opinions, which is really just mucking this shit up. My original post of judging categories was fine, because we've yet to run into any issues with that scoring system over on Inc. I don't see the point of having sprite contests if half the damn thread are people arguing over different definitions of the same words. This thread is now at four pages and there are only two entries. I think that speaks for itself.

So, I'll repeat myself, only I'll explain in detail this time.

-Overall Design
This means we're judging it on how good the visual design itself is, without factoring in technical sprite quality.
-Originality
Plainly put, how original is the design? Has it been done before? Is the sprite an obvious edit or bad Franken?
-Technical Quality
This is a judgement on the technical sprite quality itself; whether or not it is cleanly lined and well-shaded, proportionally correct, no major errors, etc.
-Animation
Does the contest call for animation in its entries to begin with? If so, this wouldn't be factored in since animation quality is already covered under Technical Quality; if the contest only asks for a static sprite, animating it could potentially give that contestant an extra point for animating it.
-Various Other Bonuses
These can be anything that pertains to the individual contest, but not totally necessary for the basic contest rules. So, if there's a contest that already covers the Basic Three and Animation, this would best be used for entries that go above and beyond; such as a "make a mockup" contest entry doing mockups in multiple styles.

So, taking those into account, let's make a hypothetical scoring guide.

Overall Design - x/10
Originality - x/10
Technical Quality - x/10
Animation - x/1
Bonus - x/1

So if we were to hypothetically use all five, the maximum score would be 32, 30 if nothing but the basic rules were followed.

This isn't as complicated as you people are making it. All we'd need are those Basic Three and Animation when it counts. The Various Other Bonuses may not even be necessary, but I felt like explaining the prospect of it.

Sounds good to me. If it's already a tried and true method at least we would have the scoring system knocked out then and then be done with it....

I think too if the scoring is generalized in theory, rotating judges shouldn't be so much of a big deal.

Anyone else agree?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:38:13 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
The more I think about the more I keep coming to the conclusion we should just give it a base line X/10 and explain why we came to that number individually for each one.

Less complication, less soulless math, more explanation on why we chose what we did.

Or screw the score all together and just go by votes for first second third place etc and a write up explaining the decision.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
The more I think about the more I keep coming to the conclusion we should just give it a base line X/10 and explain why we came to that number individually for each one.

Less complication, less soulless math, more explanation on why we chose what we did.

Or screw the score all together and just go by votes for first second third place etc and a write up explaining the decision.

So would we go off the score system that Drac 9 suggested then and then write a little blurb on why we chose that score? (Option 1)

If it's easier, then we could just kill the score all together and just write up an explanation like you said without all the math fuss. (Option 2)

I like the second option ALOT. Seems way simpler.

Jorge?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:20:22 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »
+1
This thread is already pleasing me greatly.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
There should be a prize for who comes up with the best way to score this contest. This is turning into a contest within a contest. :-p

This looks like fun! I wish I had some time to join in! But you can bet that I'll be spectating from the sidelines.

Best of luck to those who enter!

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 03:31:19 PM »
I'd be okay with a no-number score system, but using a numeric system holds everyone to the same standard and holds them to it on paper. If you just have two paragraphs explaining what you like/dislike, eventually someone's gonna throw a fit that they weren't judged fairly or whatever, and that's always a treat to deal with.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
If they don't trust the judges they shouldnt enter. I don't care who made what, I'll only pick the best as I see it. Given that it's an art contest, there's no guarantee the judges and the artists will see eye to eye, but that comes with a subjective medium.

I'm still thinking about what I want to propose for the judging system, but I think I got a good foundation, just need to sand of the edges and think it over a little more.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2014, 05:14:22 PM »
There should be a prize for who comes up with the best way to score this contest. This is turning into a contest within a contest. :-p
LOL I was thinking the same. Seems like trying to standarize the scoring rules is more difficult than making the sprites itself.

I'm a little bit lost.Who are the judges? What is the deadline to submit sprites? Can I only submit one sprite or can i submit more than one?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:21:46 PM by kaonstantine »

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »
LOL I was thinking the same. Seems like trying to standarize the scoring rules is more difficult than making the sprites itself.

I'm a little bit lost.Who are the judges? What is the deadline to submit sprites? Can I only submit one sprite or can i submit more than one?

Check PG1 of the thread.

If they don't trust the judges they shouldnt enter. I don't care who made what, I'll only pick the best as I see it. Given that it's an art contest, there's no guarantee the judges and the artists will see eye to eye, but that comes with a subjective medium.

I'm still thinking about what I want to propose for the judging system, but I think I got a good foundation, just need to sand of the edges and think it over a little more.

This.

I dunno where all this talk about trusting the judges came from, but it's not even guaranteed that ever judge will see eye to eye so I think Uzo wrote it best. Its' all subjective. If you don't agree then you have every month from this month on to put in to be a judge.

I can guarantee that every entry that I get to judge will get a fair and unbiased critique and I think I can speak for the other judges from this panel as well for this month!

Now come on people lets get some more entries in!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:30:16 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Tags: Fuck it