Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest  (Read 32767 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2015, 08:50:19 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind words, sorry if I dont say anything, I take a break and now im ready to keep going.

@Jorge D. Fuentes

I dont see a problem with the transparency, Zero and I dont make that too XD.

By transparency he means why is there a background color showing.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2015, 04:13:25 PM »
How is the judgement coming along?

I've done my part days ago, a hour after my last post.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
I've done my part days ago, a hour after my last post.

Sweet! Who's all left?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2015, 06:59:48 PM »
My judgments have been submitted. Think it's just uzo now.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »
^ As usual. LOL

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2015, 11:24:40 AM »
Where's Drac9's meme when you need it?! ;-D lol

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »
I work multiple jobs. Some of which require me to unexpectedly work late and on weekends. So sometimes I will get held up on things. Either way I have completed my judgement now and can post the results:

First Place Winner
Blood Pack - Jop

Second Place Winner
Bat Sandwich - kaonstantine

Third Place Winner
Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake - theANdROId

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UZO
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Place: Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake - theANdROId
First off I will state I am discounting the fact that the sprite was submitted without proper transparency. It appears the artist doesn't have much technical experience or the tool set that a serious spriter has but I also don’t think points should be taken off as a result of this. I know not everyone may agree with this but I feel in this case the tools were keeping him from doing what I believe would have been achieved if they were not an issue.

That aside I really liked the execution of this one. The cake looks, well, real. The little swirls of chocolate on the top stands out to me as being well drawn. The shading to make the shape of the cylindrical pan is also well done. I like the detail of the surface layer seen where the slice has been removed, well contrasted with the inside material of the cake.

I will criticise one thing though, the choice of colors. It looks more like something you would see out of an old DOS game. I am going to presume this is also a factor of you using inadequate spiriting software. You used MS Paint didn't you? The default colors it gives looks like the ones here in the image. For having such a limitation you actually did remarkably well. I can't bring myself to deduct points for it.

2nd Place: Big Mac - darkmanx_429
This is something I can definitely see sitting in my inventory in a Castlevania game. The size and color style are pretty much spot on. The burger construction seems upside down though for the fillings? SHouldn't the lettuce be on top of the patty? Then again if it was an authentic Big Mac you’d never be able to see the almost non existent patty. The shading is a little basic, but not bad for the amount of detail present.

3rd Place: Bat Sandwich - kaonstantine
A very comical entry. I’m sure Ozzy Belmont would love this dish. Some part of me thinks it looks a little unbalanced in it’s design though with the one wing hanging out so far. The coloring and shaping are excellent though. The filling of the sandwich is particularly well done and very readable. At such a large scale though I did expect to see more texture on the bread.

Did Not Place: Alt Entries - darkmanx_429
Your alt entries confused me a little, being so different from the Big Mac. While the Big Mac looked hand sprited, the other images looks like resized/automated and color reduced images. It is very weird and stands out as being unnatural compared to other entries.

Did Not Place: All Entries - Jop
It’s interesting to see you branch out into an alternate view of the guidelines and make it monster food. That said the execution and some choices were pretty questionable, to the point where some of them I don’t believe really qualify as ‘food’ even for monsters.

The only things I could identify even basically what they were when first looking at them was the pile of bones, the potion, and to a lesser extent the blood pack. I think the way you shaded them, and the detail you tried to add to them, made it very hard to see what they were. It felt messy.

Did Not Place: Christmas Pudding Cupcake - Shiroi Koumori
The biggest thing I found wrong with this entry was the ribbed texturing on the cupcake wrapper. I’ll admit these are hard to do when you first think about them, but it stands out too much on it as being a very poor execution of that kind of texture. One of the key skills of spriting is learning when to ‘mush’ your detail. By that I mean you don’t need to have exact detail on smaller or harder to read portions of a sprite. Sometimes you even need to enlarge details unrealistically for people to read them properly, which can actually often go unnoticed, or feel like a nice stylistic quirk for older games. In this case have less ribs but them being very visible in the center, bigger and more easy to read potentially, but as you reach the sides it turns thinner, and more ‘mushed’ into the outline color losing detail and thickness as you reach the outside. It’s a little hard to explain though I admit.

Did Not Place: Alt Entries - theANdROId
The 25th cake was kind of cute. It really lacks shading. Very readable despite that though. The beer seemed really basic, perhaps the cap at the top seems too large or shaped improperly. The labels also seem to be trying to stuff in too much detail. The coffee cup could have had much better color choices for the white cup itself. Also why is it sitting on a shelf or table as a part of it’s icon? Doesn't seem like much of a game icon that way.

Did Not Place: All Entries - ZeroSaberGreen
I was actually very torn about whether you should take third place or not. I think your entries were playing it too safe though. Countless pot roasts exist, even giant ones, in the series already. The Mushroom, while very well executed, also did not stand out as much as the others to me. But again, your execution was actually really high here. You did a great job on the art itself. It was a very tough decision.

Did Not Place: All Entries - VladCT
THe gingerbread man seems more like an actual creature than a cookie. It looks as if he is actually standing on a floor. The torso also seems kind of misshapen, and even besides that, a different style or proportion than the legs and waist. The milk on the other hand is barely visible and seems to have no shading at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lelygax

1st Place: Blood Pack - Jop
I’ve chosen this one because I can really imagine that item on a modern title, like AoS or DoS and being used by Arikado, even the perspective feel right. So while its simplistic it just felt right to put it on 1st.

2nd Place: Brick-grown Mushroom - ZeroSaberGreen
It was hard to choose between this and Shiroi's entry, but with that kind of description who could resist? xD
 That Luigi’s easter egg on MoF only helped at making my choice.

3rd Place: Christmas Pudding Cupcake - Shiroi Koumori
Like Jop’s Blood Pack, this entry falls like a glove for a kid character like Maria, also I like this cartoonish shading, would be fun to see it on Dracula X.

Did Not Place: Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake, Cold Ones, Spiced Egg Nog and Celebration Cake - theAndROId
These entries need a better shading work (like these Cake and Chocolate for example) and Chocolate Swirl Chesse misses transparency at the upper part I think, but you did a wonderful job at managing all these little pixels on the Cold Ones and the Celebration Cake, this cake would totally fit as a bonus item, like Konami Man and Twin Bee while these beers would help to relieve John’s pain, poor John.

Did Not Place: Big Mac, French Fries (?), Soda Elixir (?) - darkmanx_429
Since they only have a description I don't know their right names but they need better shading, right now they seem to be pillow shaded to me, apart from that they seem tasty and very well colored, very cool effect in these burguer dots. Makes me wonder if these items would heal or hurt and poison you.

Did Not Place: Bat sandwich - kaonstantine
Good shading and colors, maybe it could be a little more bright but its very good, if we could choose 4 entries you would be in it, It was really hard to not choose this entry, but Castlevania also needs sweet and cute food so Shiroi got 3rd, also good description xD

Did Not Place: Giant pot roast - ZeroSaberGreen
Good shading and pixel management, but in my opinion it lacks a bit of originality, I’ve already seen a giant meat in RoB if I recall correctly. Even so its very well made and I can really see the effort that you put in your entries, you are on the right track.

Did Not Place: Soup of Demon Teeths, Demon Bones, Soul Bottle, Crazy Chef’s  Master Work - Jop
While these entries have a good amount of humor its hard to talk about them, you did a good job at coloring and shading it, These entries aren't bad and your animation is good.

Did Not Place: Gingerbread Man and Milk - VladCT
Needs better shading and this Gingerbread Man is very funny, the description only add to it, now I want a haunted Gingerbread Man too as a enemy, so you can drop and eat it for a tasty victory xD
Mix it with the Milk and Jonhy-boy would surely come to eat it, no doubt.

Dracula9

1st Place: Roasted Bat Sandwich - kaonstantine
I love this entry. It looks great, the description is funny, and it looks like it easily would fit in SotN or its like games. But really, what won me over the most here was its campy humor, something I always was fond of in the series. I wonder what it’d taste like...

2nd Place: Type-O Bloodpack - Jop
As I said in the thread, the concept of heal items for enemies is a very, very nice one. Your others were nice, too, but the Bloodpack is easily the star of the show. As has been mentioned a few times already, I could definitely see Genya chugging one after a hard-won fight. Maybe getting a little blood-tipsy afterwards, too?

3rd Place: Christmas Pudding Cupcake - Shiroi Koumori
I liked this one; first off because it’s a giant-ass cupcake, what’s not to like? It didn't quite hit the classic CV tropes/vibes my above two judgments did, but this one struck me more as a super heal item for young Maria or Pumpkin, or possibly even one in a Kid Dracula game. It’s kind of in the same vein as why I like Jop’s so much, it touches on a side of the series that’s not seen too often (the cartoony, silly side in this case). And I also run Maria like it’s my job in Chi no Rondo, so I'd love to break that hidden gravestone and get this bad boy in place of that giant heart.

Did Not Place: Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake, Cold Ones, Spiced Egg Nog, Anniversary Cake - theANdROId
These entries aren't bad, but they don’t quite have that CV look to them (the Cheesecake slightly being the exception to this). In addition to that, a lot of these types of items have been done already. SotN has a cheesecake (New-York style!) and coffee (similar to your nog), so while the sprites themselves aren't too shabby, they don’t have much going for them in the “uniqueness” department.

Did Not Place: McDonald’s Meal - darkmanx_429
I got a chuckle out of this, but I didn't feel it was a winning entry. The sprites could use with a little more work IMO, but aren't bad at all otherwise. Really, it was the idea of McDonald’s in Dracula’s castle that kinda killed it. One the one hand, the mental image of him calling up the local Golden Arches and sending henchmen to pick it up is funny as shit, but on the other it’s not really something I could seriously see in a Castlevania game; and ultimately that’s why this one didn't place for me.

Did Not Place: Giant Pot Roast and Brick-Grown Mushroom - ZeroSaberGreen
If we had four slots, you’d have had it. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. I really, really like these two. The Roast looks like it popped out of Chi no Rondo, and the Mushroom is just hilarious. I much prefer the Mushroom over the Roast, because the pot roast has been a CV staple for decades, so there’s not much new it brings to the table. Mushrooms have also been done, but not in this clever and funny of a way. Well done, but in the end you fell just a tiny bit short of my top three entries.

Did Not Place: Gingerbread Man and Milk - VladCT
I liked these (especially considering a passing thought that the player would have to grab the milk before it hit the floor, or it’d break and they’d cry), but they were just a tad too plain for my liking by comparison to the top three. I would've liked to maybe see a concept where you’d have to CATCH the Gingerbread Man before you can eat him, or something of that ilk, but really the simplicity of the designs made them wash over me somewhat. Not bad by any stretch, but lacking that extra “oomph.”

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »
Eh, never expected to win anyway. Congrats to the winners.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »
There was a giant pot roast in RoB?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2015, 05:12:02 PM »
Congrats to all the winners!
Alot of good entries for this month!
All my entries are open source feel free to use them in your fan-games as long as you give credit!
See all you guys in January's contest!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:25:03 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2015, 05:35:17 AM »
Congrats to all the winners!

And thanks to all the comments on my entry.
I guess I must not approach spriting as a cross stitch pattern. hehehe.
Yeah, and feel free to use my giant cupcake on your games.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
Wow dont expect this, thanks to all and sorry about the transparecy XD.

@ZeroSaber Green

about that check this on the left I think thats the item they are saying:

http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/10/10320.png

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »
Thanks to all for the comments, and congrats to everyone who entered!  There were lots of different items, but I think they were all pretty cool!

@Uzo - I did use MSPaint.  I thought I remembered several other forum members suggesting to just use paint and that it was what they used.  As for the transparency (and other) issues, it's as you said -- lack of technical experience and tools of a serious spriter.  As much as I enjoyed this though, I hope to start learning and working toward becoming a more serious spriter.

I certainly wouldn't mind program suggestions (or any other tips for that matter) from anyone if they have the time to PM me.  I really enjoyed participating in this and would like to learn more.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »
Thanks to all for the comments, and congrats to everyone who entered!  There were lots of different items, but I think they were all pretty cool!

@Uzo - I did use MSPaint.  I thought I remembered several other forum members suggesting to just use paint and that it was what they used.  As for the transparency (and other) issues, it's as you said -- lack of technical experience and tools of a serious spriter.  As much as I enjoyed this though, I hope to start learning and working toward becoming a more serious spriter.

I certainly wouldn't mind program suggestions (or any other tips for that matter) from anyone if they have the time to PM me.  I really enjoyed participating in this and would like to learn more.

ASEprite. I use it alot  http://www.aseprite.org/
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »
I forgot to say that if anyone wanted to use my stuff as well, feel free to do so, and feel free to edit them as necessary to make them look better if you wish to do that as well.  I wouldn't mind a small nod to my credit though. :-)  Especially with the Anniversary Cake...it is a little awkward, and I really didn't know how to do any decent shading on that one...but I'm quite pleased with the idea and turnout of it.  I think, once I learn more about spriting, I'd like to come back to that one and make it better.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:17:56 AM by theANdROId »

Tags: feed me 

anything