Dracula9's Kain
3 (27.3%)
Dracula9's Servbot
0 (0%)
Kokushibyō's Zero
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: March 31, 2015, 11:53:54 PM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: March 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest  (Read 22406 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
March 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:36:34 AM »
Duration: From now until March 31st
Deadline for submissions: March 28th (11:59 PM PST)
Judgement: by tribunal and popular vote from March 28th to March 31st at midnight and Winners announced on the morning of April 1st (or earlier if the judges are already done)

Volunteer Judges: Donvermicelli, theANdROId

Theme: "Castlevanize" a character from another videogame
Prizes: Award medals for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.

Guidelines for Participants:
-Provide your sprite in 1x and 2x zoom at least if your sprite is small. (High resolutions sprites need not have a 2x version)
-The character should be drawn in the sprite style and proportions of CV
-It is okay to make alterations so long as the character itself is recognizable (write who is the basis of your character)
-OPTIONAL: try and choose characters that are dissimilar enough to provide adequate challenge
-Contestants may update their entries freely before the submission deadline.
-You may withdraw any entry at any time before the judgement begins.

Important info: Due to some controversy regarding the use of sprites from other members from our contest be sure to mention from now on if you want your final entry to be open-sourced or not. Meaning other members can or cannot use your sprites for their projects! (Just so we are clear.)

Guidelines for Judges:
-Judgement will use a point system.
-4 points awarded for your first place choice.
-2 points awarded for your second place choice.
-1 point for your third place choice.
-When posting your scores write up an explanation/critique of your judgement.
-Additional rounds of judgement will be used for tie breakers.
-Judges cannot participate in the contest.
-There will be a poll to vote for the most popular sprite and this popular vote would serve as an extra judge.

Entries:
Jop: (if someone want to use Jop's sprites, pm him first)
1. Rune Walsh from Phantasy Star IV The End of the Millennium
(click to show/hide)

2. Isaac Clarke from Dead Space 1st place
(click to show/hide)

3. Wren from Phantasy Star IV The End of the Millennium
(click to show/hide)

4. Journey

e105beta:
Knight Artorias 3rd place
(click to show/hide)

darkmanx_429:
Raziel - Legacy of Kain SOTN-Styled
(click to show/hide)

Dracula9:
1. Legacy of Kain - Kain, SotN-styled 2nd place
(click to show/hide)

2. Servbot, Megaman Legends
(click to show/hide)

Kokushibyō:
Zero, from MegaMan X2 converted to SotN style with a Pkachu familar.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:31:50 PM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Re: March 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:37:28 AM »
Please comment if there are things that I've missed writing on the guidelines.

And I need volunteer judges!

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:18:22 PM »
I don't think you meant for judgment to last from Feb 28 until March 31! ;-)

Also, to be clear...one can take a games original sprite and alter that to match this month's theme...yes?  I'm sure the end result would both resemble the original character, as well as be significantly different enough to be "original" in a sense.  That's how I'm understanding the allowance for alterations, but I don't want to take all the time to do that if I'll end up DQ'd.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 06:18:19 PM »
Question:
1) It have to be the other game in pixel or can be from a game on 3D? I can think that the Castlevania in 3D dosnt count since they are castlevania but Im saying from other games.

2) I dont know if I dont understand the part of "Castlevanize", its to make the sprite art of a Castlevania or its to grab a character from another game and add power and stile of a character from the Castlevania?

Sorry if my questions are stupid but Im not sure of thats things and its better to ask.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 01:36:05 AM »
@Android: re. the date, oops. hehe

And for the clarifications on the theme....
You may copy a sprite from another game and do some edits on it to make that character fit in with the Castlevania world. Or you make make your own sprite based on the original character (this would be the only option if you're using a 3D character) while adding Castlevania elements.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 05:50:55 AM »
What constitutes the  criteria of fitting within the Castlevania wold?

Are you guys looking more towards sprite style (because if that's the case we really don't have a template for that and it depends on which CV game that you choose), adding accessories (i.e whip,), or both?

Maybe we should narrow it down, because it sounds to me that we are going to have entries that are all over the place....

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
Are you guys looking more towards sprite style (because if that's the case we really don't have a template for that and it depends on which CV game that you choose), adding accessories (i.e whip,), or both?

If it was done in a CV game, it's fair game. That is how I interperate it. Whether its the NES trilogy, Bloodlines, CV4/X86/DraculaX+, CotM, HoD (why would anyone, lol), AoS, the DS Trilogy, or Haunted Castle.

I would imagine it is up to you to pick what you think will end up looking the best. Personally I'd recommend going with DraculaX+ (meaning any game using the style started in Dracula X). People tend to like the level of detail, and dislike the anime outlines of the DS trilogy.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
Exactly what uzo said, and yes, we prefer detailed sprites based on past contests.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »
I interpret the criteria as, for example, taking Zero from the Mega Man series, altering his armor and design to fit the overall medieval and gothic look of Castlevania, replacing his Z Saber with, say the Crissaegrim, and then spriting that in an appropriate style.

Stuff like that.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 01:38:07 AM »
I just want to share my opinion...

I was thinking on a form of spriting based on a personal interpretation, beyond "SOTN style" or "AoS Style" or "DraculaX Style" etc.

What i meant by "Castlevanize": "Do whatever you want to any character you want, so, that customized character becomes castlevanized" (whatever the term castlevanized means to you). The idea (at least, the original idea) more than making a "foreigner" character fitting the style of a particular castlevania title, is about interpretation. Show how your mind (and artistic skills, of course ) is "affected" after years and years of exposure to castlevania titles  ;D

Want to take a Mario sprite and "paint" an Alucard suit over it? Fine, do it

I interpret the criteria as, for example, taking Zero from the Mega Man series, altering his armor and design to fit the overall medieval and gothic look of Castlevania, replacing his Z Saber with, say the Crissaegrim, and then spriting that in an appropriate style.
Yeah, do it if that's what you want. ¿Are you interested in having Chun Li seated on the Dracula's throne? Go for it!

Maybe we should narrow it down, because it sounds to me that we are going to have entries that are all over the place....
This was the most important goal to me: Variety of entries. "Oh, but this is going to be difficult to Judge". Yeah, But it could be fun. Well, that was my intention behind the "Castlevanize" thing. I know it is not the most compatible idea with the sort of contests that had taken place recently in the forum.   We'll see how this idea takes form.

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:49:43 AM »
Oh, that's not actually what I plan on doing, it's just an example of how I interpreted the criteria.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 05:37:24 AM »
ROFL, that's why I asked...lol :D

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 03:26:57 PM »

Stuff like that.

youjusttoldthemwatiwasgoingtododammit
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 11:58:33 PM »
And nobody had any indication that's what you were doing until you said something?

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 12:45:30 AM »
I guess I'm going to be too busy to participate this time around so I'd like to sign up as a judge.

Tags:

anything