Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 70945 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2013, 07:21:31 PM »
I might be able to edit the code I'm looking at to have alpha translucency. Still working on implementing it in its base form before I start tweaking it. I'll post what progresses, if anything.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »
Very nice Drac 9!

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2013, 07:30:31 PM »
IDK if Im understanding it totally right, you have a visual example? If you mean that sprites will turn totally black, with only one color, one tone of color, then its strange because it will lose detail and depth. Now if you can do something where they turn grayscale like darkmanx said, it will be exactly like the idea that I've said before, but doing it differently, so its a huge Ok :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »
It would look something like this, before I try anything to make the hero/Hud/etc. the exception.

Ignore how shitty it is, mousepad drawing is stupid.

I'd not use it if the effect were immediate. Such a drastic change would work only if there was a fade transition.

As for our program differences, I don't think Game Maker has a color-inversion function on its own, and I don't know if anyone's written one I'd be able to understand/use.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »
Yeah, its like I thought then and would look strange :/

I assume that this code change colors right? So it somehow works with more than any color or palletes (or even transparency)?

It adds something on top of sprites or change their colors?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »
I'm so fucking giddy right now you guys have no idea.

Got the color inversion working, by a painfully simple rectangle-surface draw.
Just four lines of code
(click to show/hide)
and a little bit of tweaking, and voila.
I guess this would be the Inverted Castle...?

(ThouAegis ought to recognize this particular code snippet ;))
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:56:04 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2013, 03:32:04 PM »
I'm so fucking giddy right now you guys have no idea.

Got the color inversion working, by a painfully simple rectangle-surface draw.
Just four lines of code
(click to show/hide)
and a little bit of tweaking, and voila.
I guess this would be the Inverted Castle...?

(ThouAegis ought to recognize this particular code snippet ;))

Hee Hee..nice song. Nice effect too!

I had a gameplay idea for this as well, maybe for a secret area? You could use it to stop certain movable platforms to clear chasms..

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
Not even for a secret area. It could open the way to alternate stage routes, and give more player freedom in how to go about traversal. There are so many effects and things possible now that I have this effect coupled with the stopwatch that it's not even funny. I could even make non-stoppable enemies, for crissake!

Of course, I have to make moving platforms that work properly first. Those things can be a bitch to get working how you ideally want them to.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »
Perfect and is just like I imagined it would be (visually, I never thought that coding it would be like that) :D
But more importantly, you liked it?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »
Of course! Ideally, screen inversion was what I wanted, but I didn't think it would be so easy to manage. I was looking at solid-color washouts as a substitute for what I thought was impossible/out of my skill level.

Also, the moving platforms work for the time being. I dread what I'll have to deal with when I go to make them ghost platforms rather than totally solid ones (ghost platforms, for those that may not know, are platforms that can be jumped through from underneath and may or may not allow the player to drop down from them; I refer to those as semi-ghost rather than full ghost).

*shrugs* It's something.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »
How you do your GIFs? For a screencap its very fluid and doesnt even reach 1MB in size. Good job with these moving platforms, I've noticed that they dont really touch walls before rebounding, its intentional?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
I record them as video, convert the video to a gif, and cut out unneeded frames and resize as necessary.

As for the bouncing, yes, it's intentional. They're colliding with a separate object specifically made for directional reversal, since there have been tons of bugs of them getting stuck in walls. It may or may not be kept that way in the final, since it works seamlessly as-is.

Silly me, I didn't post the inversion effect on the stage itself!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
I record them as video, convert the video to a gif, and cut out unneeded frames and resize as necessary.

As for the bouncing, yes, it's intentional. They're colliding with a separate object specifically made for directional reversal, since there have been tons of bugs of them getting stuck in walls. It may or may not be kept that way in the final, since it works seamlessly as-is.

Silly me, I didn't post the inversion effect on the stage itself!

Great job on those platforms dude! I think they are great as is. I was thinking the stopwatch would be cool so you could use it to freeze platforms to make it easier for you to cross pitfalls. If you wouldn't have the stopwatch, then of course regular platforming would be a little bit harder for the player. Also what would be cool is if the stopwatch also stops the gears in the clocktower from spinning. Just some gameplay ideas for you and food for thought.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
Yeah. I wasn't kidding. There are sooooooooo many possibilities now that the stopwatch is working to full effect that I can't even begin to imagine where to start.

I think it's high time the Stopwatch gained a little more importance than just stopping enemies. I think I'm gonna make it a full-on gameplay mechanic for potential alternate routes and hidden items/areas/bosses.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »
I had a crazy idea right now, what if instead of making gears and conveyor belts stop moving, they start moving backwards if you are inside a clock tower stage?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything