Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Opinions on Dracula's Curse difficulty level  (Read 8885 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Opinions on Dracula's Curse difficulty level
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 12:11:54 PM »
I have yet to beat Dracula's Curse without the use of the Help Me code.  It really helped.

I always used the OKUDA code (which makes Alucard playable from the start)
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline zombi

• I D D Q D
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 03:23:40 PM »
I wouldn't say it's the hardest game I've ever encountered. But say for example those stages where all the blocks fall down the stage, if you play as anyone but Alucard and use bat form to ascend, how is one supposed to beat stages like this? I guess ideally without a walkthrough you'd need trial and error for all of the levels.

I'm trying to remember which level had those hazards....

I beat the game recently with Sypha and its certainly doable.

I actually chose Sypha because I heard that would be the easiest path.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 01:32:48 AM »
But say for example those stages where all the blocks fall down the stage, if you play as anyone but Alucard and use bat form to ascend, how is one supposed to beat stages like this? I guess ideally without a walkthrough you'd need trial and error for all of the levels.

I usually just pick several blocks to focus on, and keep track of their sequence. Once the blocks hit, that's the cue to move.

...but usually I pick a different path altogether, because, seriously, screw that level. Even the music is saying, "hey guys, this is the boring part of the game!"
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 03:31:12 AM »
I once beat that stage where the begins starts rising with all the mermen and bats that can knock you off platforms on Hard Mode (American version).

Never again.   

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »
I remember beating Akumajo Densetsu (better music) the first time. I used Grant it was not as hard as the first game. Now if you use only Trevor or one of the other 3 throughout the whole game then maybe I could say it gets closer. Certainly it applies if you use one of the weaker attacking characters. The Japanese version is the easier of the 2 no doubt. Overall I would rate 1 edging out 3 in difficulty just due to the infamous portrait hanging Death corridor.

If the mechanics of the first game were combined with this game we would have a lot of people going to therapy. I hope someone will try to replicate mechanics of all these games into one except leave Simon CV1 alone. For that matter it would be cool if Egoraptor or did a retrospective comparison of 1 vs 3 in a Prequelitis. I just like one better for overall feel but the graphics on the 3rd game would go so well with the 1st.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Vickter

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
I don't find CV3 to be an extremely difficult game overall. I think there's a certain sense of strategy you have to develop after exploring the different routes, alternate characters, and sub-weapons that can change the flow of the game. I start a run by getting the first holy water available and spamming it onto enemies and candles to get a triple shot before the end of the first level. I skip the clocktower and head for Sypha's route. Finding the sub-weapon you're best with and getting the triple shot as soon as possible is really the key for me to keep the game flowing along easily.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »
I wouldn't say it's the hardest game I've ever encountered. But say for example those stages where all the blocks fall down the stage, if you play as anyone but Alucard and use bat form to ascend, how is one supposed to beat stages like this? I guess ideally without a walkthrough you'd need trial and error for all of the levels.

That's Block 7-05 on Alucard's Cave Path.
Whether you get there via 6-01A's Catacombs or 6-01B's Sunken City of Poltergeists, you will HAVE to pass this on this path to proceed.
You just gotta memorize the blocks' pattern, which changes halfway through the stage (when the Mountains in the background are right at the center of the screen).
If you have Alucard and you picked up enough Hearts before the 2nd Giant Bat Battle (a Miniboss in 7-04A), you can actually fly to the exit, as mentioned, but you can make it with Trevor Alone or with Grant by just being patient and knowing the spots to jump to as the thing gets built.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »
That's Block 7-05 on Alucard's Cave Path.
Whether you get there via 6-01A's Catacombs or 6-01B's Sunken City of Poltergeists, you will HAVE to pass this on this path to proceed.
You just gotta memorize the blocks' pattern, which changes halfway through the stage (when the Mountains in the background are right at the center of the screen).
If you have Alucard and you picked up enough Hearts before the 2nd Giant Bat Battle (a Miniboss in 7-04A), you can actually fly to the exit, as mentioned, but you can make it with Trevor Alone or with Grant by just being patient and knowing the spots to jump to as the thing gets built.

I did end up using Alucard in the end. It's definitely the harder of the NES CV's not including CVII's cryptic clues.

I will give it a shot again sometime in the future, focusing on POR currently.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »
I remember beating Akumajo Densetsu (better music) the first time. I used Grant it was not as hard as the first game. Now if you use only Trevor or one of the other 3 throughout the whole game then maybe I could say it gets closer. Certainly it applies if you use one of the weaker attacking characters. The Japanese version is the easier of the 2 no doubt. Overall I would rate 1 edging out 3 in difficulty just due to the infamous portrait hanging Death corridor.

If the mechanics of the first game were combined with this game we would have a lot of people going to therapy. I hope someone will try to replicate mechanics of all these games into one except leave Simon CV1 alone. For that matter it would be cool if Egoraptor or did a retrospective comparison of 1 vs 3 in a Prequelitis. I just like one better for overall feel but the graphics on the 3rd game would go so well with the 1st.

It'd be interesting to see his take. He hates 4 for making Simon overpowered and eliminating the skill involved with using the sub weapons. US version of 3 sounds like his kind of CV game.

I know what u mean about the "feel" of CV1. I always felt control was so responsive, and the game being built around the movement was done so well. CV3 was always the one I played the least because I never liked the jumping. Instead of instantly jumping, the characters puase for a second before the jump starts, like megaman's foot moving slightly forward before a full run. It's always been a turnoff for me. Not enough to ruin the game but enough to REALLY bug me, gets rid of the otherwise fluid feel of the characters and Simon's jump control.

Tags: