Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth discussion  (Read 33850 times)

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth discussion
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:40:03 AM »
So why are the only recent topics about this game the topic telling when it comes out, and a topic about the story? Why not talk about what we think of the game?

I bought it the day it came out, and having played it a lot over the last few days, I have to say this game is great! I love the classic style, the mostly new spritework and animations, stage layout, multiple paths within stages... well everything! The soundtrack is cool too, though so far I haven't heard any new music. I love how the music sounds like it was all made for the Sega Genesis(though some of the songs actually were). Plus it's challenging as hell. I still haven't beaten it on Normal mode, and I'm too stubborn to try and beat it on Easy. I also think it's neat that they give you an option to apply "classic controls", meaning make it so jumping is restricted just like in the NES Castlevanias.

I guess the only thing that really dissappoints me about this game is the lack of a save or password feature. Then again, the original Castlevania didn't have that either, and this one isn't really THAT long if you know what you're doing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:41:37 AM by Gecko »
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline MeSako

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
I want to play this game too!!
But I cant since its not in EU yet :(

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »
I'm dying to play it, but I don't have a Wii.  Hopefully this weekend I can go to my brother's place and download it on his Wii.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
I thought this game was an awesome Christmas present to Castlevania fans. It feels like a new game and a game you've already played at the same time, mixing the nostalgia and "ooh, new game" feeling together all in one.

Plus, I love Christopher's whip animation.

Offline Gecko

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 05:17:02 PM »
Yeah, I just played the game again, and remembered a few other things I love about it.
----------
First off: bottomless pits of death are back.

Second: amazing amount of secret breakable structures/walls/etc. Searching around and whipping inatimate objects is greatly rewarded in this game.

Thirdly: Remember the keys you needed in Vampire Killer and less so in Rondo? They're back with a vengeance. They're not even needed to finish levels, but you can use them to access areas with lots of score items, hearts, and maybe a whip upgrade and to access alternative routes to the levels(of which there are many). Which leads me to my

forth point: LOTS OF ALTERNATIVE PATHS. Makes the game more fun when you can do things differently each time.
------------
Anyway, yeah I'm definitely loving the game.This'll definately put a quench in my appetite for new Castlevania goodness until Lords of Shadow this spring.  :)
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline MathUser

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »
Castlevania Adventure also lacked a save or password system. So it's sort of true to the original game in that sense. I would of loved a save feature though. I could start on any level at any time.

Offline Gecko

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »
Castlevania Adventure also lacked a save or password system. So it's sort of true to the original game in that sense. I would of loved a save feature though. I could start on any level at any time.

True. A save feature and level select system would have made this absolutely perfect for me, but not having it just isn't too huge of a deal.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »
I love the way the whip is animated, as well as the way the fireball looks.
Also, Christopher is one rugged-ass Mofo!  I love it!  He's like a mix between Richter and Julius in terms of looks, with Juste's redness, bwahaha.

Sometimes I don't know how to 'keep' keys.  Sometimes there are doors with another keydoor behind 'em and I have trouble locating the other key.  Maze rooms are interesting as well.  Lastly, I often find myself wondering "Wow, how the hell do I end up up there?"  since I can't seem to find a number of the more hidden alternate paths.

The game is great!  And with the Classic Controls, it feels like Bloodlines (Bloodlines actually had alternate paths, but they were meant for one to be for John and the other for Eric).  Definitely cool.  I like the way New Messiah sounds, as well as the more obscure being used, such as Sent to the Devil's Requiem on Stage 2, and LOAD BGM from X68000 used as a stage tune.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »
For those who wish you could save progress, lern2play.  ;D

This is how it was done in Vampire Killer and Castlevania 1, just gives you a reason to practice, get better, and see all the secrets the game has to offer, and the challenge is something I greatly appreciate. Thank you M2 and Konami, you guys did it again, now give me my Salamander Rebirth.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »
I wouldn't want a save as much as a suspend. I like how I have to start from the beginning and work my way through, but I don't usually have time to sit down and beat the whole game in one sitting.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 04:07:41 AM »
Yeah, being able to suspend gameplay would be great. The game only takes a little over an hour to beat, but I beat Death and then had to leave the other day; I couldn't leave my Wii on all day, so I turned it off, a little bummed I couldn't play Dracula's stage and beat the game.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 09:37:44 AM »
I think it's a good game but it's no Super Castlevania 4. Also, the music is pretty lackluster. I also think they could have done a better job with Christopher's sprite and added some more enemies.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »
I want to play this game too!!
But I cant since its not in EU yet :(

I hear you :(
I'm surprised there's no mentioning of this game here at all, though I hardly read european gaming magazines (or any gaming magazines for that matter). I would assume this game comes here no later than February. If not, I shall become a bitter person :(

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 01:48:15 PM »
I think the music is fantastic, personally. I especially love the music that sounds like a combination of the arcade and Genesis/Mega Drive sound hardware, and I love how they made a full level tune out of "LOAD BGM" from the X68000 game.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline UnManuel

• Castlevania has changed.
  • Hunter in Training
  • guaramberri
    • UnManuel.com
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 05:54:38 PM »
I'm in Stage 4, Hard Mode =0 ! Stage 3 in Hard is a house of madness!! I've noticed this game encourages you to abuse backwhipping, which for me is somewhat original. There's a point at Stage 3 where the game forces you to destroy Bone Pillars while backwhipping not one but THREE red skeletons, since red skeletons have no reespawn time. I don't know how is the game beyond Stage 4 but this stage is easier than Stage 3. The bosses are all easy to beat in hard mode, so I assume they are the same regardless of the difficulty level. To wrap things: play it Hard! The whipcracking sound rocks as well.

Tags:

anything