Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1835891 times)

Offline Black Cat

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4845 on: February 26, 2013, 01:38:57 AM »
The Japanese website has some new stuff:

http://www.konami.jp/castlevania/jp/3ds/

Oooo, I'd completely forgotten this game even had a japanese site. Better design too. The witches in this game are certainly...different. Perhaps trying a little too hard to subvert the pop culture image. Or maybe the design is based off a depiction from a lesser known culture.

Like the one cutscene cap of Alucard. It's just a still image but he comes off kind of rough around the edges which would be a nice contrast to the previous canon if true.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:06:19 AM by Black Cat »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #4846 on: February 26, 2013, 06:35:49 AM »
I love those silly 4koma comics/caricatures, and the artwork for this game is fantastic. Really loving the bestiary we're getting this time around, much stronger monster designs this time around that feel more like Castlevania.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:44:22 AM by OSM »

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #4847 on: February 26, 2013, 08:23:13 AM »
The first one was low balled for ridiculous reasons like "- not castlevania".
I agree with that.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4848 on: February 26, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »
Ok, so I played through the demo. It plays pretty much how I imagined it, but I'm pleasantly surprised how the combat is not tedious like I thought. I mean, the enemies have a bit too much health for my taste but it's still nowhere near as bad as I feared. The combat is - dare I say it - pretty fun! I especially like how the boss has a pattern, old school style almost.

My main problem with this game, and every other 3DS game, is the 3D slider. I keep going back and forth between 3D and 2D.  When will I ever feel comfortable with the 3D effect? Hmm..

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4849 on: February 26, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »
There's some mini clips of the game on Konami's youtube page

『Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - 宿命の魔鏡』アルカードアクション

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4850 on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Fan art:

Spoil images:

(click to show/hide)

EDIT:  Why used scenes like cartoons?  I thought it was for saving memory cartridges.. Well yes and no... In an interview a week ago Enric Alverez says his main goal to make the game on the 3DS was to use stereoscopic 3D throughout the game and in all moments. They did many tests and found that with prerendered images did not look quite right. But if they passed the 3D images to a cartoon filter and separated into layers the effect in the introductory sequences is something that has never been seen before in the console.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:51:34 AM by Bergaron »
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4851 on: February 26, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »
They also wanted to entertain a comicbook style.

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4852 on: February 26, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »
The clip with Alucard and the fleamen...did anyone else catch a reference to a very familiar tune in the music before he fought the fleamen?
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline Black Cat

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4853 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
Here's the short video to go with the pics Bergaron posted.
(click to show/hide)

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (3DS)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:18:55 PM by Black Cat »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4854 on: February 26, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
It seems that near the end Simon is ready to attack with his axe, so maybe you choose before the battle what char you will use first, while the other will attack randomly and will act as a 2nd life.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #4855 on: February 26, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »
The clip with Alucard and the fleamen...did anyone else catch a reference to a very familiar tune in the music before he fought the fleamen?
I can't tell what it sounds like. Bloody Tears...?

Offline Thy Gory Rory

• Hunter in Training
  • ...I'm holding my sausage hostage!
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #4856 on: February 26, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »
I'm really glad everything about this game is really shaping up to be something that pleases and appeases most sides of the Castlevania fandom, both old and new. That's actually quite an accomplishment in and of itself. Obviously, I wish there were more extensive measures to have more nods and throwbacks to the older series but we're technically already getting a lot of that this time around. The characters resemble their older timeline selves quite a bit, more returning classic monsters, the gothic scenery and atmosphere returns more heavily and even the plot seems to have more of a throwback to the traditional Belmont lineage. I'm just hoping the music has a few more classic tunes but it's already a class act from what it sounds like. Indeed, I think 2013 is going to be a great year for Castlevania in general :)

I'm kinda boned, though... I've been specifically planning to buy a 3DS just for Mirror of Fate ever since it was announced and now I need to unexpectedly buy a new (likely used...) car with my tax money and my original 3DS saved cash. Arrgh... But I just realized my nephew owns a 3DS so maybe I'll still buy a copy of the game when it comes out and I could just borrow his 3DS for like a week. I really want to be on the front lines for this one!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:51:53 PM by Thy Gory Rory »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4857 on: February 26, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
4 koma translation
http://www.konami.jp/castlevania/jp/3ds/gallery/fourpieces.html
Title: Family By: Shizumon
Panel 1: Gabriel Belmont - Trevor Belmont (interesting, they used Trevor instead of Ralph) - Simon Belmont
Panel 2: Is this guy my father...?
Panel 3: !! That hand!
Panel 4: DAD!!

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4858 on: February 26, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »
Bloody Tears...?

Yes! That was the first tune that immediately came to mind.
Could just be coincidence and not an intentional reference, I guess...but the score can be completely new and still have some references here and there, like LOS1.
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4859 on: February 26, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
I'm really glad everything about this game is really shaping up to be something that pleases and appeases most sides of the Castlevania fandom, both old and new. That's actually quite an accomplishment in and of itself. Obviously, I wish there were more extensive measures to have more nods and throwbacks to the older series but we're technically already getting a lot of that this time around. The characters resemble their older timeline selves quite a bit, more returning classic monsters, the gothic scenery and atmosphere returns more heavily and even the plot seems to have more of a throwback to the traditional Belmont lineage. I'm just hoping the music has a few more classic tunes but it's already a class act from what it sounds like. Indeed, I think 2013 is going to be a great year for Castlevania in general :)

I'm kinda boned, though... I've been specifically planning to buy a 3DS just for Mirror of Fate ever since it was announced and now I need to unexpectedly buy a new (likely used...) car with my tax money and my original 3DS saved cash. Arrgh... But I just realized my nephew owns a 3DS so maybe I'll still buy a copy of the game when it comes out and I could just borrow his 3DS for like a week. I really want to be on the front lines for this one!

You can see all the walkthrough in youtube on 10 March... Here in Spain sell 3DS for 80 euros (second hand). Also if you buy and play just before LOS2 more hype... I will replay LOS1 and MoF before the date of LOS2
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Tags: .....?