Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Bad or mediocre games you like  (Read 20183 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
Nosferatu on SNES!

THIS! SO MUCH THIS!

It's really not even bad, honestly. It's just boring by comparison, but it gets a TON of points for atmosphere and being rather realistic as far as character abilities are concerned.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2013, 07:42:03 PM »
Let's not forget the super awesome animation, particularly in those cutscenes. Really impressive stuff.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
I actually like playing Bram Stoker's Dracula on the NES, including the trippy ambient music. Jonathan Harker's sprite always seemed well animated to me.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2013, 12:27:45 AM »
I played it on Sega Genesis as a little girl, I don't remember much about the game, but I was already fan of gothic, vampires and all that horror stuff.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 07:23:54 AM »
Oh there are so many bad/mediocre games I enjoy :D

Krusty's Super Fun House (SNES)
Clever puzzle platformer that nobody likes. I can totally see that it's really annoying, but I have very fond memories of it.

Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance (PS2)
Capcom brawler with light RPG elements. Is often mentioned together with Final Fight Streetwise and was universally panned. I like it :D It's a bit like Yakuza, almost.

Suikoden Tierkreis (DS)
I am pretty surprised that this game is so hated but I understand that people were disappointed when it wasn't a proper Suikoden. Also, the voice acting is ATROCIOUS, especially the main character. But it's still one of my favourite JRPGs on the DS.

I'll think of more.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2013, 08:28:23 AM »
I actually like playing Bram Stoker's Dracula on the NES, including the trippy ambient music. Jonathan Harker's sprite always seemed well animated to me.

I played it on Sega Genesis as a little girl, I don't remember much about the game, but I was already fan of gothic, vampires and all that horror stuff.

The NES/Master System version of the many many tie-ins for that movie is the one to play if you're going to. But yeah it's still not very good. You're better off with Nosferatu if you want a non-CV Vampire themed retrogame.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2013, 08:37:57 AM »
I remember the SNES version of Bram Stoker's Dracula to be especially awful. Depressing to look at, boring level design, weird hit detection, hilarious walking animation (feet does not move at the same speed as the actual floor, if you know what I mean. It almost looks a bit like the main character is ice skating, but in a strange way). To think I actually bought a copy back in the day...

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
The NES/Master System version of the many many tie-ins for that movie is the one to play if you're going to. But yeah it's still not very good. You're better off with Nosferatu if you want a non-CV Vampire themed retrogame.
Nosferatu have a really nice look and atmosphere, but it's SO HARD! Pun Pun!  >:(
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
tales of the tempest and megaman x7
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »
It wasn't THAT short. It was pretty easy though because the guns are way overpowered. Once you get the submachine guns, you don't really need anything else, especially in boss fights. There that one boss fight where you're standing on a platform in space and the boss is floaating and all you do it shoot it. I played it a lot back in the day because I paid full price for it when it came out  :-X THAT'S how big a DMC fan I am (if only I'd known it was wack when I bought it xD)

And I don't think the story was any worse than any of the other DMC games really. I'll give you the voice acting though. Man, Lucia's accent was so spotty lol! Dante didn't really say anything and the bad guy was just ridiculous.

DMC1 was amazing though and DMC3SE was even better, but they're very different games. 4 was definitely disappointing. If the series started to slide, it was there for sure.

Nero played more basic than DMC1 Dante. I have no idea what Capcom was thinking there. Whereas Dante in 4 was amazing and basically broke the game. But yeah the levels were terrible in that game. Easily my least favorite other than 2.

I was glad they didn't go the "so bad it's good" route in DmC. If anything, it was sort of a "don't be sso quick to trust the media" kind of theme in the story. I liked that the characters weren't so jokey about everything. Dante being ridiculous got old real quick in DMC3 and I think that game has the best story in the series (which isn't really saying much.)

Uh... Yeah, about Nero being less complex then DMC1 Dante... Uh, I'll just leave this here:
DMC4 NERO COMBO MAD

Sure, Nero's just got the one sword and gun, but the number of options you have to style on fools is ridiculous. I admire the game for that but it's really difficult to get into for the same reason.

And as shitbad as DMC2 is, I love the game just a little bit for bringing Arius into this world. His voice is hilarious especially with his ululations of anger when Dante tricks him, and as a bonus he reminds me greatly of this guy:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:12:30 PM by Munchy »

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2013, 10:37:04 PM »
tales of the tempest
Is it really that bad?
I'm quite fond of Abyss, Graces and Symphonia, and I'm waiting to play Xillia.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2013, 06:21:51 AM »

Much more of mediocre than bad. I have fond memories of playing this at my best friend's house. It's also pretty much the only decent stand-alone Superman game out there.

THIS! SO MUCH THIS!

It's really not even bad, honestly. It's just boring by comparison, but it gets a TON of points for atmosphere and being rather realistic as far as character abilities are concerned.

Or as realistic as an average Joe taking on the creatures of the night with his bare hands can get, at least.  ;D

But yes, seconding! I wouldn't mind a Nosferatu reboot if they can do it right.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:25:47 AM by The Puritan »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »
Much more of mediocre than bad. I have fond memories of playing this at my best friend's house. It's also pretty much the only decent stand-alone Superman game out there.

I much prefer the SNES version. I just watched a video of this one and while it's in every way identical to it's super Nintendo counterpart, the SNES version has better music that seems to compliment the atmosphere of the game very well.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
Superman for SNES was on my list too, thanks for reminding me :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »
Is it really that bad?
I'm quite fond of Abyss, Graces and Symphonia, and I'm waiting to play Xillia.

With out a doubt a lackluster experience especially compared to Abyss,graces,symphonia,xillia, and vesperia oh god I love vesperia. It's battle is odd you can fight on three planes it's not like phantasia or symphonia where it's on one plane or 2d/3d like Abyss or Vesperia, it's just an odd ball not to mention it just does not have that feeling of polish. Hits feel very light and cheap. exploration feels light and even with all of that I still dig it. But this is not your go to tales game you really have to be a fan to even consider this.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags: