Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Yooka-Laylee  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
meat

Soda as well.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
To be honest, I didn't much care for Banjo & Kazooie (I don't have any idea why though)...but nonetheless this does interest me.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
The Kickstarter went up 40 minutes ago and as of this typing it's already hit it's goal.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 12:31:04 AM »
I'm hoping since some of these guys are Rare veterans, they'll know how to budget properly and not become bloated and waste money like some other game developers who had successful Kickstarters.

I totally haven't linked to the fundraiser, by the way. Right now it's almost at $2-and-a-quarter million and they've almost reached the final stretch goal (with 39 days left to go): a full orchestral soundtrack. I guess a lot of folks like me have really been jonesin' for a good 3D action platformer collectathon. It's pretty darn exciting and I'll be happy to play this on my Wii U. It would just feel so right being on a Nintendo console.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:03:56 AM »
I'm still confused how this game can be made with half the budget of Mighty no 9, but still look twice as advanced.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 10:25:17 AM »
I'm still confused how this game can be made with half the budget of Mighty no 9, but still look twice as advanced.
Solid direction, also I've been hearing a bit of buzz that Inafune is more of a business man than a game developer.
Still, hat's off to all three, even though that Yooka-Laylee, Mighty No. 9, and IGA's new game may look like knock-offs to the original games they are trying to represent, it still makes a point that as long as there is love in them, they will live on, even if the original IP is pretty much dead and the companies who own them don't want to do anything with them now.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 01:34:27 AM »
Yeah, I think the Playtonic guys are real technically savvy, they're veterans, and presumably know how to budget. I've never seen Inafune as the creative force behind Mega Man; he's an illustrator and a producer, the end.

One of the aspects of Yooka-Laylee I'm looking forward to the most is the "expand" (dong?) design, where you can play a level in its entirety but come back later to pay coins and make the level bigger. It's apparently optional but it sounds really cool.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »
With Bloodstained's KS ended, here's a friendly reminder for those who haven't heard about Yooka-Laylee. Reposting from another thread:

...I've got to put in a plug for YOOKA-LAYLEE (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival). The video game industry needs a game like this just as much as it needs something like Bloodstained, IMO. Plus, it brought a lot of video gamer attention to Kickstarter just prior to Bloodstained (it was one of the fastest video games to make its base level of money before Bloodstained, if I recall), and its spirit is essentially from the same era of gaming as SotN. So, consider backing it, or telling someone who might be interested in backing it. The tiers are largely lower than Bloodstained was to get the full game, as far as I can tell. If you haven't heard, it's from a talented team of senior ex-employees of Rare involved in Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, etc. Its in the same vein as those previous personality-filled 3D platforming games, where you have 3D playground-type worlds in which you solve puzzles and grab collectables to progress through said worlds and unlock new ones. You do so with a duo of characters who work together, and it's been stated that the overall game design will be honed from past efforts. These non-linear 3D platforming adventure games have largely disappeared, as even Nintendo has shifted their 3D Mario series in a more linear/stage-based direction as of late. Anyway, Yooka-Laylee's creators dumped their own money into making it up to this point, and went to Kickstarter to secure funds that would allow them to expand the game's content and reach. It's at 1,915,826 British Pounds right now with 53 hours left, and if it reaches 2 Million British Pounds (a little over 3 Million US Dollars), Backers get free DLC in the final stretch goal. Just something to consider.

Tags: