Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: About the origin of the name "Wicked Child"  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
About the origin of the name "Wicked Child"
« on: November 05, 2015, 07:42:50 AM »
Anyone always wondered why the song was given that particular title? I actually developed a theory about what I could refering to, and after checking the original Japanese manual it seems I'm correct. The fleaman enemy in the Japanese version is called "semushi otoko", which means hunchback. However, if you look at the words seperately, semushi means something like  "dreadful", "terrible", "wicked", etc, and otoko means "man". A possible word for a small boy is "otoko no ko". So it appears "wicked child" is an overly literal translation of hunchback. Also, in the Vampire Killer manual the hunchback is refered to as "Grim Man", so it appears the same mistake was made twice.     

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: About the origin of the name "Wicked Child"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
Not only it makes a ton of sense to me, but when I listen to this track I always imagine something"mischievous" going on. The very first thing to greet us when this track plays for the first time is a Flea Man.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »
Wow, that's awesome! I thought all the songs were just given names to match their sound. Makes total sense to me too. Makes me wonder about other song titles.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 03:03:20 AM »
+1
Found another one: Poison Mind.

The kanji for poison is 毒, but can also mean "harm", "injury", "spite", etc. The kanji for mind is 心 which also has the meaning of "heart", or " spirit". Together they actually mean "malice" or "spite".

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 03:53:46 AM »
Maybe it's just a reference to Les Infants Terribles.

Tags: