Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Favorite Old/Lost/Forgotten Game Series  (Read 18583 times)

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Favorite Old/Lost/Forgotten Game Series
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 12:57:10 AM »
even though this series spawned a ****load of sports spinoffs, I wouldl like another sidescroller Kunio game

Also, Actraiser, biat*hes!!

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 05:01:42 AM »

Chrono Trigger- it isn't forgotten by it's fanbase, and it too got a semi-sequel in Chrono Cross, but it doesn't exactly look like it's high on Square-Enix's priority list.

Play Radical Dreamers for the SNES (It was only available in Japan, so...). It's a semi-sequel to Chrono Trigger and it's what Chrono Cross is based on. It's Surge, Kid, and Magil (Magus) in Viper Manor. It's pretty cool, even though it's a text adventure
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Ray

• better late
    • moniker
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »
In Reply To #17

Yes, I have heard of it :). I haven't got round to playing it yet but really should.
Thanks for the tip.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »
In Reply To #1

- Skyblazer
- Solstice & Equinox
- Faxanadu
- Lost Vikings
- Shadow of the Ninja/Blue Shadow/Kage
- Kid Icarus

Not so keen on Wizards & Warriors... the first one was alright though.

EDIT: Aso, how could I forget Phantasy Star? A proper Phantasy Star 5, not online/universe crap.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »
In Reply To #1

- Skyblazer
- Solstice & Equinox
- Faxanadu
- Lost Vikings
- Shadow of the Ninja/Blue Shadow/Kage
- Kid Icarus

Not so keen on Wizards & Warriors... the first one was alright though.

EDIT: Aso, how could I forget Phantasy Star? A proper Phantasy Star 5, not online/universe crap.

I totally agree with Skyblazer, The Lost Vikings, and Kid Icarus, but not so much on Phantasy Star. Not a fan. Also, I'd love to see a remake or new Wizards and Warriors!
Especially W&W 2: Ironsword! Oh, Fabio.....

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 07:53:59 AM »
In Reply To #20

My fav is the first W & W. Fabio on the cover of Ironswaord was just.... creepy. It's also wierd how all the artwork shows Kuros as a half-naked barbarian man, but in the games he's a knight.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 08:25:26 AM »
Fun Fact: Originally Hulk Hogan was supposed to be on the cover of IronSword!

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »
Guardian Legend!!! And Faxanadu and Actraiser only the first game tho after they took out the overworld elements it sucked. And Soulblazer. Was that part of the Actraiser world? It sure looked like it.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 02:18:47 PM »
In Reply To #3

Is that true? I mean, I don't really follow it, but isn't Pit in SSBB? He looks like he's from another more recent game in the new Smash Bros.

unfortunately they haven't made a new kid icarus game since 1991 for the old GB.  :( They gave him a 3d makeover and new abllities for SSBB which is awesome and one of the reasons I really want that game.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 12:52:01 PM »
In Reply To #24

Maybe its a sign he'll get a new game soon? I'm actually seeing things that remind me of him and his arrows in that Nintendo Power Moon thing.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »
In Reply To #20

My fav is the first W & W. Fabio on the cover of Ironswaord was just.... creepy. It's also wierd how all the artwork shows Kuros as a half-naked barbarian man, but in the games he's a knight.

Yeah they really screwed over WW 2 and 3, who's bright idea was it to make the sword as big as a dagger? And what's up with Ironsword for the second one? Sounds like a whole diff. game and not a sequel.

One I forgot to add is Goldenaxe a new one would be awesome with new moves and stronger baddies, seeing all the old sprites in 3d would own.

In Reply To #24

Maybe its a sign he'll get a new game soon? I'm actually seeing things that remind me of him and his arrows in that Nintendo Power Moon thing.

I sure hope so, they could do so much with 3d polygons to work with. Taking down medusa in 3d would be amazing.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:55:35 PM by The Last Belmont »
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »
In Reply To #26

Oh man, IronSword is my favorite of the 3! The first one isn't bad, but the 3rd one... I just can't figure out what to do!

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »
In Reply To #27

Hoe is the third one? I only have the first two, and Iprefer the original, even though I first played 2. I think 3 is somewhat similar to Simon's Quest cause you have to do a lot of traveling and there are towns. Right?

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »

One I forgot to add is Goldenaxe a new one would be awesome with new moves and stronger baddies, seeing all the old sprites in 3d would own.

They are actually doin a GA sequel, which will be in 3d.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 09:39:22 PM by le052383 »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 05:19:22 AM »
Guardian Legend!!! And Faxanadu and Actraiser only the first game tho after they took out the overworld elements it sucked. And Soulblazer. Was that part of the Actraiser world? It sure looked like it.

Actraiser 1 was vastly superior to 2, I agree.  Not only did 1 have the Simulation aspects, which made you feel like you were really a deity in the world, but also it had better gameplay/controls in the action stages.  2 had good music and graphics, but the character control was very clunky and odd, and it felt like a slower game.  Having a slow character but fast enemies is a bad idea.

The reason Actraiser and Soulblazer look so similar is because they were both created by the Quintet development grouop.  As such, they have similar sound effects, similar fonts, and possibly similar artists for the tiles/sprites.

Another reason people think of Soulblazer as a tie-in to Actraiser is because in Soulblazer the hero is an angel who answers to the "Master".  And in Actraiser, the player was called the "Master" by all the characters, since he's a God.  Thus, one can say that the angel in SoulBlazer 'might' be following Actraiser's God's command...

SoulBlazer has two pseudo-sequels.  Illusion of Gaia is the second SoulBlazer game, and Terranigma is the third SoulBlazer game.  They have allusions to one another, though I'm certain they take place in different worlds.  The theme of souls, the environment/nature and humanity are touched upon in all the three games.

**is a big Actraiser/SoulBlazer guy**
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: