Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Favorite Old/Lost/Forgotten Game Series  (Read 18589 times)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Favorite Old/Lost/Forgotten Game Series
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 06:51:40 AM »
In Reply To #30

ActRaiser may very well be the first VC game I'll be downloading, as soon as I get myself some wireless router for my Wii. It's been so many years since I played it, and I remember it was rather brilliant. Or maybe I'll go for Shining Force. Or Landstalker. Though I've played them to death... hmmm.

Naah, ActRaiser it is.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 06:53:28 AM »
Remember any old short games series, or possibly any standalone games, that never really got any other new titles past the NES or SNES era? Like maybe ones that had a sequel or two but then nothing? If you could pick one of these to suddenly get new games for the series, or remakes, or just anything new involving that game, what would you pick? Well, I remember Wizards & Warriors for the NES and there was a trilogy, and then one GB title. But that seems to have been the end of that series. What do you think?

Agreed. Wizards and Warriors holds a special place in my heart --it was the first game I ever beat.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 07:28:45 AM »
In Reply To #32

The first NES game I beat, actually.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 10:19:06 PM »
They are actually doin a GA sequel, which will be in 3d.  The game has been in production for over a year and sega's sf branch, secret level, is handlin the developent of the game.

It is called Golden Axe: Beast Rider

From what I remember, the hot chick from golden axe is a character in the 3d game
http://kotaku.com/search/golden%20axe/

dude that kicks ass, I'll have to research it more I had no clue, I can't wait to beat death adder in 3d!  ;D
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »
In Reply To #30

I had no idea those two games were part of Soulblazer *goes to play em*

As an aside: No love for Guardian Legend?! Cmon guys!

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 12:07:27 AM »
In Reply To #35

You mean. Guaardian heroes?

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 12:08:17 AM »
dude that kicks ass, I'll have to research it more I had no clue, I can't wait to beat death adder in 3d!

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2008, 03:03:16 AM »
The game seems to rely more on riding on creatures like panzar dragon

You serious!? that's not what GA is about, it's about kickin' ass.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 06:24:29 AM »
VICE: Project Doom.

I don't remember much about this game for the NES, I just remember it kicked ass. Never cared to finish it though.
The weird storyline is impossible to understand, like in many similar NES games. Only adds to the coolness.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:28:17 AM by Private Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 04:32:08 PM »
You serious!? that's not what GA is about, it's about kickin' ass.

It is rumored since more of the pictures has Tyra? on a creature battling other enemies on creatures.

However, there is that one image I posted where she isnt on a creature, fighting someone

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2008, 10:01:47 PM »
In Reply To #36

No I mean Guardian Legend

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »
There are three great franchises from the company Culture Brain that I'd love to see return:

- Super Chinese/Kung Fu Heroes/Little Ninja Brothers: Love the mixture of RPG-elements with real-time battles and zany antics!! Those games were freakin FUNNY!! Would love to see a fully 3D game taking place in the Ninja Brothers world!

- Hiryu no Ken/Flying Dragon/Flying Warriors: Love the beat'em up mode. It's kinda like an action side-scrolling platformer with RPG elements too. You travel around fighting enemies coming towards you, then you get in these boss battles where everything reverts to a classic RPG turn-based battle format.

- Arabian Dream Scheherazaado/Magic of Scheherazade: One of my favorite RPGs of all time. It's best described as a mixture of Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy. You walk around the world map and attack creatures on the map with your sword(in real-time Link fashion), but some times you'll get into a random encounter of the classic FF/DQ variety where you and your party members can attack separately or combine attacks into star formations, which equal major magical damage to enemies. Awesome music, too!! Suposably they were going to make a sequel on the SNES, but it got canned.

Suposably Culture Brain isn't as famous as they once were, and abandoned these three franchises. Now they are Japanese exclusive and they ONLY make Mahjong games, hamster simulation games and digital board game-type games.

Other franchises/games I'd love to see re-enter the modern playing field are:

-Wizards & Warriors: Yes, like all the peeps above, this one is one of my faves. Both the first and Ironsword kick MAJOR ass!!

- Little Nemo: Capcom probably doesn't have the lisence anymore, but their Nemo platform games(which were basically based off the movie specs) were delightful! Just think, a 3D platformer of Little Nemo, all colorful and whimsical, for the PS3!! Slumberland!!!!

- Monster Party: I hear many say this game was the NES equivalent of a drug trip. I loved it. For a game that was basically no released in Japan(they canceled the JP version), the Japanese influence was MAJOR. It was cute, actually. The Samurai guy, and the Japanese zombies that dance. And Mark's pill poppin exploits, transforming into Bert! Loved this game!!

- Kunio-Kun: Okay, some of these games are actually still being made. River City Ransom Advance came out a few years back and the DS is getting a Super Dodge Ball title. I mean the good old Renegade-type games. Who wouldn't want to play as 3D Kunio, bitchslapping hookers, slamming some punkass heads into the ground and kicking some hoods in the head? Something old school.

- Double Dragon: That being said about Kunio-Kun, time to talk about Kunio-Kun's fellow franchise, Double Dragon. It was made by the same creators. During the 90s, for some reason, the games turned "Saturday Morning Cartoons" with the, ugh, Saturday morning cartoon and the craptastic live-action movie. I always loved the first three titles. A TRUE fourth installment(a 3D one), would rock.

- Altered Beast: And no, I don't mean the Japan/Europe only one. I don't mean gene-splicing and such. A TRUE take on the classic one. Ancient Greece setting, fantasy monsters, undead centurions are resurrected by Zeus to rescue Athena! Collect the soul orbs and BANG, transform into a were-creature!!! And, the GBA claymation one was TERRIBLE. Urgh...

- Valis: It's been a long time. Who wouldn't wanna see a new game with cute scantily cladded warrior chicks in 3D??

- Streets of Rage: Like Double Dragon, another goody that has been left behind. The two are always compared a lot. I owuld love to see the Streets of Rage series make a comeback!!

And yeah, I agree with whomever said Duck Tales. Capcom were badass when it came to Disney games back on the NES. I loved Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers!! I don't think they have the lisence anymore. Duck Tales's "The Moon", FTW!!!!

And I would've listed these two, but suposably they ARE being remade. Splatterhouse, which I read in EGM, is being remade! Awesomeness. The second, Kid Icarus, which I hear is being looked into. Much love for that!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:46:35 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline A vicar in a tutu

• As natural as rain, he dances again.
  • Master Hunter
  • Get your vile soul dry-cleaned
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2008, 09:57:53 PM »
I'd love it if Nintendo revisited or made completely new Mario games based off on the old Mario gameplay.
Something like New Super Mario Bros 3.
New Old-school Mario games for the DS.

That'd entertain me for a good while.

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »
Guardian heroes either needs an HD remake (we should start a fan remake like the ppl who are doin the sonic2 hd game, j/k) or a proper sequel.

The gba Guardian heroes ruined the storyline and gameplay of the original by havin it being in the future and all the heroes and villians from the first game were resurrected.

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »
Quote from: DragonSlayr81

- Valis: It's been a long time. Who wouldn't wanna see a new game with cute scantily cladded warrior chicks in 3D??

hate to say it, but Valis gotten a remake a few years ago and it isn't the kind you would expect.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:09:45 PM by le052383 »

Tags:

anything