Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The future of fan games  (Read 6982 times)

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
Fellas this is how we will all be designing very soon:

Smart Video Game Design Tool
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »
Well, that's really freaking cool.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »
Well, that's really freaking cool.

I know right. How refined and perfect could your game be with the ability to see the effects of code in real time. It makes every movement work exactly as you would want it to the first time without any guessing. I bet you could put games out pretty fast with something like that.

Here is the full video and it applies this same thing to many forms of designing any why:

Bret Victor - Inventing on Principle
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:35:26 AM by Corpsecrank »

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
Talking about the first vid.Wow that is cool as hell. Still will have to know what is going on code wise, but it will be cool too switch this up in game. Nice vid!

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »
Talking about the first vid.Wow that is cool as hell. Still will have to know what is going on code wise, but it will be cool too switch this up in game. Nice vid!

Yeah but this also allows you to jump in with fairly limited code knowledge and actually test and see what the code will do. It would make understanding code and how it applies to a game much easier.

I would like to see this guy release these tools some time soon that would change a lot of things I think. It isn't just making games that he applies this same thing to either. The second video shows a lot of different ways the same concept can be used to make developing things easier.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »
Technically... Unity and Unreal and such already do this. While not code directly, but you can create variables and change the variables while have the game in play mode.

No time line though.... atleast not in Unity.

EDIT: The recording of movements is awesome though, it basically applies NG2 or Halo's recording method into game design.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:09:40 PM by Kale »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
Technically... Unity and Unreal and such already do this. While not code directly, but you can create variables and change the variables while have the game in play mode.

No time line though.... atleast not in Unity.

EDIT: The recording of movements is awesome though, it basically applies NG2 or Halo's recording method into game design.
Yep, Kismet does this also UT3 Script. This game design tool looks awesome!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:18:15 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »
yeah I love the exposed vars in unity. makes testing a lot easier. Id love to see these tools come out too it really would help

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
That does look cool but even if I had access to it I wouldn't even know where to begin...
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
That's what forums are for. Only people who have taken classes on computer programming typically open Game Maker and start scripting on the first day. Most GM users use D&D. I even see threads at GMC where posters are supposedly saying their teachers/professors require them to start with D&D (that blows my mind). I couldn't tell from the vid quality, but it would seem like it's scripted to read a number (GM does this too) and then make that number clickable, whereby a slider pops up and lets you adjust the number that way. The whole code seems pretty simple just from a glance, to me at least. I just wanna know what the rest of the interface looks like. I'm getting accustomed to GM's UI by now.

But that future viewer is effin' sweet.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 12:35:02 AM »
that makes me want to start creating games again. 

Offline Mikepjr

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »
Won't do me much good, i can't even make games the way they're coded now.
I'm more of an artist and a designer... and still waiting for a better game making software than anything we have now.. still have not found the right software for making platform games.
I found the right maker for RPGs long ago.. but software for making platform games has alluded me for years.
I got graphics and ideas.... like.. a lot of them.. but no way to make them happen, cause.. i can't process numbers... and remember coding and such.. it's just not in me, i'm an artists first and formost.. can't do much else.

Sorry for the rant, but yeah... this might not do me much good.. i don't get all that coding stuff as is.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
Coding is an art form in and of itself, one that can pay hundreds of millions of dollars more than any other art form.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Mikepjr

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I don't see it that way, coding to me... is math.. and i suck at math.. royally.
I'm good with pixel art, and really i'm just good with digital art period.. i tried coding things.. i get a headache and throw my keyboard across the room.
Could just be the ADHD though... i just know that until someone makes something for making platform games as simple as RPG Maker is for RPGs.. i'm not gonna be making anything.

And if coding is such an art form, how come games sucked so bad until an artist named Miyamoto came along? Huh?
Coding is just that, coding.. nothing more. And don't try and tell me otherwise, i'm 31 years old, i been around long enough to know better.

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »
I don't see it that way, coding to me... is math.. and i suck at math.. royally.
I'm good with pixel art, and really i'm just good with digital art period.. i tried coding things.. i get a headache and throw my keyboard across the room.
Could just be the ADHD though... i just know that until someone makes something for making platform games as simple as RPG Maker is for RPGs.. i'm not gonna be making anything.

And if coding is such an art form, how come games sucked so bad until an artist named Miyamoto came along? Huh?
Coding is just that, coding.. nothing more. And don't try and tell me otherwise, i'm 31 years old, i been around long enough to know better.

But there are things as easy if not easier than rpg maker. Rpg maker is actually kind of rough I worked with it once but quickly scrapped it and used an existing game and editors to do my work which was much easier.

But rpg maker is limited to rpgs as far as I know and the other tools most people use are not genre specific. Right now I am using construct classic to build a game and others are using game maker or multimedia fusion all of which can be used to make any type of game and do not require programing though game maker does have gml which is it's own programming language I never got far enough into that one to talk much about it.

But this makes the headache of code go away in a hurry. You no longer need to keep track of anything it allows you to highlight a graphic which in turn will highlight the code for that graphic or the other way around if you prefer where you select a chunk of code and it will highlight the graphic. This allows you to focus entirely on one small piece of code at a time while being able to view any changes as they happen. No need to remember what is in the code or where it is just highlight the object that you want to change and fiddle with the little code block to see how it effects the object.

Tags:

anything