Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145743 times)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »
If Dracula was really gone for good then even his soul should be destroyed as well. Resurrected or reincarnated, either of them marks the reborn of Dracula plus his castle was just sealed(which can be broken on some other way) not completely destroyed. If 1999 Demon Castle War was the real conclusion then there should be no events afterwards like the Sorrow games.

You know what, go and make a topic for this, don't feel like getting into this here since this is not the topic for this kind of discussion.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »
I guess this means that the original timeline is kaput.

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
Whether this is overall happy or sad news is still ambiguous depending on the details of what he puts out with his own studio and how well that studio does with their first release, but optimistically this could be the best thing to happen for 2D CV-style Metroidvania lovers in in a long time if Konami simply was not going to let him work on the series again even with small, budget releases -- which him leaving practically confirms.

Sadly it almost certainly means the death of 2D CV. But some of us had known that for awhile now.
Good luck, Iga!

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:27 PM »
+1
What if Igarashi leaves Konami, but instead of making a Metroidvania spiritual successor, creates a Kickstarter for a Lunar Knights spiritual successor?

#whatatwist
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:59:25 PM by e105beta »

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »
+3
Actually Dracula being stealthy and transform into rat is quite accurate to the original Bram Stoker novel(I think) or the 1992 film adaptation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrKUosSM7s
It's not about whether it's accurate or not, I watched the movie so I know that Dracula can turn into a rat just like he can turn into mist .It's just that part SUCKED.And I dare you to say the contrary.
...And stealth doesn't belong in a Castlevania game.
Well I hope he makes a metroidvania style game in his new studio. I wonder how many of his coworkers back at Konami will join him in this new adventure. 2D Castlevania is dead for good. My only consolation is that I'll still be able to enjoy 2D games from other studios like Vanillaware.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:03:47 PM by Odile Kuronuma »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
+6
I may have not liked everything Iga did but I think his heart was in the right place. I mean the guy looked like he was part of the series and even cracked an official CV whip. He will be missed.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
I don't know about the death of 2D CV. I actually hope they finally think of a new gameply system that can go on and become a hit. Maybe incorporate elements from different genres? I still want my RPG.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »
+2
I'm glad that Iga and Mercury Steam are both done with Castlevania.

Hopefully the next developer will do a better job.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »
+3
I don't think it would reach MN9 heights, but if IGA did a kickstarter by the end of the week I'd say he'd get a pretty penny. I mean, Yamane is now freelance and both of them are on good terms with Ayami Kojima, so conceivably he can get that 'gang' back together.

I also wonder if some of the other Konami people have also left in the past five years as well, like Curry the Kid, KO-G, and Soshiro Hokkai. The team behind SotN and HoD seemed to have disappeared from the map after 2002. I ask because IGA seems pretty confident he has the actual resources to create a studio, and studios beyond the ZONE and Pixel type tend  to have more than one person.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:48:48 PM by beingthehero »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »
Actually Dracula being stealthy and transform into rat is quite accurate to the original Bram Stoker novel(I think) or the 1992 film adaptation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrKUosSM7s
Wow, even the red eyes glowing in the dark. That's neat.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »
Iga did set up and arrange the timeline, but I'm perfectly confident Konami could release a game of the same style without him. You just squeeze a Belmont, Morris, or Belnades in between Leon and Julius.

Look, I enjoyed all of his games but I can objectively admit that none of them ever presented a story of great depth, and most of the games are entirely self contained so adding another to the timeline would be an easy thing to do.

And again, I am not saying this in spite of Igarashi but because of him and the world building he laid out and left behind.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »
+2
TBH no Castlevania from 1986-2010 ever aspired to have a really deep story. Lords was the first.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
+2
I don't think I ever had any illusions about IGA returning to a CV project at all. Especially with Konami's obvious loyalty to profit over their own fans.
I'm glad for this news and I hope he is as successful as Inafune. I wonder also how much of an influence Inafune's venture might have been in IGA's decision?

As for what IGA might do with a CV successor, while another Metroidvania would be an obvious occurance I might venture to say he might just go and do a straight up classicvania. It was IGA that pushed for the release of both Chronicles games and he did give us ReBirth. Either way I look forward to seeing what he comes up with.

It's not about whether it's accurate or not, I watched the movie so I know that Dracula can turn into a rat just like he can turn into mist .It's just that part SUCKED.And I dare you to say the contrary.
...And stealth doesn't belong in a Castlevania game.
Well I hope he makes a metroidvania style game in his new studio. I wonder how many of his coworkers back at Konami will join him in this new adventure. 2D Castlevania is dead for good. My only consolation is that I'll still be able to enjoy 2D games from other studios like Vanillaware.

I agree. There was nothing wrong with anything they had Gabula do in the game. The offensive part for me was more fundamental. Just the very fact you're expected to play as Dracula in a Castlevania game seemed wrong as an old-schooler. That's why I kept referring to LoS to as being more akin to Blood Omen 2.
(It even has a stealth power limited to certain areas.)
"Stuff and things."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »
why does every1 think iga will automatically make metrovania-style games

what if his new studio will now focus on his true passion, the puzzle genre

Leedmees Gameplay

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
Kotaku did an interview with him and will be releasing it tomorrow. It'd be interesting to hear what he says.

Tags: