Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145806 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »
Yeah I hope the next CV is good. I'm willing to wait for a good game rather than a rushed half ass'd game

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2014, 08:09:40 PM »
I'm done with LoS, I really need something new, FAST.
I'm willing to wait however long it takes for them to make the next inevitable reboot something I will really enjoy.

They have the LOS2 engine at their disposal, I would love to see them work with it and help evolve it into the prime engine used for future entries. Doesn't mean I want more LOS games though.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »
+1
It's enough time for me to completely lose interest on the series.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #288 on: March 18, 2014, 09:29:56 PM »
+1
I'm willing to wait however long it takes for them to make the next inevitable reboot something I will really enjoy.

They have the LOS2 engine at their disposal, I would love to see them work with it and help evolve it into the prime engine used for future entries. Doesn't mean I want more LOS games though.
I hear people say this, but is the LoS2 engine PS4/XBONE compatible? I'd imagine the next 3D CV, if they have it in mind, would be for THOSE consoles. PS3 and X360 are all but finito!

As for waiting for CV, it depends on whether or not the next turn fits along with my liking. While I love Castlevania(among other game franchises), over the past years my brand loyalty has died. For me, it's more about going where I can find enjoyment and games that resonate with my tastes rather than stick with a series(or more) that change into something that doesn't appeal to me. If CV delivers something that turns me onto it, by all means, I'm there. If not, I'll be on the winds!

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #289 on: March 18, 2014, 09:36:06 PM »
+2
A slightly new tidbit of info that no one has posted yet.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/gdc-2014-why-koji-igarashi-is-grateful-for-the-word-metroidvania

"When I left Konami, they told me I couldn't use the name Castlevania when talking about my plans. So it was actually really handy that the word 'Metroidvania' existed!"

So yup, his next game is confirmed to be a Metroidvania.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: March 18, 2014, 09:47:34 PM »
I admit I enjoy Metriodvania games but I don't think I've played one that wasn't CV or Super Metriod

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/gdc-2014-why-koji-igarashi-is-grateful-for-the-word-metroidvania

I really hope his new game uses the same setting.

Crossing my fingers for the protagonist to use a whip of some sort too.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »
or whipsword

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »
I admit I enjoy Metriodvania games but I don't think I've played one that wasn't CV or Super Metriod

No Shadow Complex? That one was pretty fun. Outland was okay, too...never finished it though...
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2014, 10:17:33 PM »

TransylFortress coming to a PC near you.

Everything comes full circle

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2014, 10:21:43 PM »
No Shadow Complex? That one was pretty fun. Outland was okay, too...never finished it though...
Sadly no. It looks fun though.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »
+1
It's enough time for me to completely lose interest on the series.

You can replay an almost lifetime numbers of Castlevania games, either the classicvania, metroidvania or 3dvania.

Anyway here's my thoughts on IGA's decision to leave Konami, I hope he won't gets bankrupt in his own company to build yet, or if he decided to work on the other company or return to Konami with a stable job if things doesn't work out, I hope he gets accepted or reconsider.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »
Am i one of the few people who aaaactually would be genuinely curious about a Kojima helmed Castlevania?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »
Am i one of the few people who aaaactually would be genuinely curious about a Kojima helmed Castlevania?
He's eyeing Silent Hill now.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2014, 10:39:58 PM »
Y'know now that he can make the games he wants to, why should he have to go the "Castlevania" experience since he can no longer even associate with the series anymore? Having Whip, Dracula and Castle and not being a Castlevania would make me personally even sadder for what has happened. He doesn't need to tie these things in his games anymore. Make a fresh new metroidvania with the budget you always wanted to work with! Make a kickstarter. Have a completely new plot, gameplay, characters and RPG elements that would change the metroidvania genre into something alot bigger that would put Konami to shame for not having enough faith on the guy. Despite his flaws and repetition of using same sprites and milking the metroidvania formula, I had NO COMPLAINTS with the GBA titles and especially the DS titles. All three games were tight, regardless of PoR's artstyle and Edward Elric. Koji Igarashi should make something fresh and if Konami wants to make a Classicvania or Metroidvania, they can hire Koji and Co. No need for a "Castlevania clone" that is created by one of its Ex-Official Member. If Koji Igarashi makes this "Metroidvania" of his and gets kickstarter and defeats the goal AND break reviews in positive reception, Konami could definitely contract Iga.

As much as I love Hideo Kojima and MGS, I'm not too sure for some of the Fans' response. MercurySteam has left a sour taste after LoS2 and not many people realize that Hideo Kojima had very little to do with LoS series and it was only the first game and I can see people be like "FUCKING KOJIMA!", "You killed Castlevania!" and one of my favourites, "KOJIMA WORLD ORDER". I think another respectable, proven and worthy studio should pick up the torch. But otherwise, I have confidence in... "Wat tuuk yuu sou loung" ;)

Tags: