Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145901 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #345 on: March 19, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
Not exactly, but whatever you say, I guess.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #346 on: March 19, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Yeah, but Konami apparently demanded he made social games while that wasn't what he wanted to do, hence he set up his own company. I still stand by my analogy. :P

This was your statement.

Konami apparently demanded he made social games

This is inaccurate. He asked to make them.

while that wasn't what he wanted to do

This is inaccurate. He wanted to make them.

The fact that the ones he made, and enjoyed making, where not the kind that Konami had in mind, probably because they just wanted a standard format to cash in on does not imply that he was forced to make anything he did not want to make against his will. Since the games he worked on were of his own personal design, they were just turned down.

Which is why this statement...

Viskod, although IGA worked on social games, Konami rejected his ideas because they felt too much like core games, meaning that was not where his heart lies. I don't get what's wrong about that.

That acknowledges his heart just wasn't in the kind of format that Konami wanted, is a much better representation of his situation and different way of looking at it than your initial statement.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #347 on: March 19, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »
+2
Castlevania is dead. Excuse me while I go play some Dark Souls 2 with my fire whip, holy water, and throwing knives.
Go away Rugal, DS is nothing like Castlevania in anything but the most superficial ways.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: March 19, 2014, 01:57:34 PM »
+2
Ah, that's right. I read over that bit. But I still think the rebellion analogy is appropriate.

Anyway, I'm feeling the urge to replay alll of IGA's 2D games in chronological order. I'm going to throw in the Arrange version of Chronicles and DXC for good measure as well.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #349 on: March 19, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »
Maybe Konami could remake Castlevania 1 again in the mean time. I'd be down for another retelling of Simon's game.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #350 on: March 19, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
Maybe Konami could remake Castlevania 1 again in the mean time. I'd be down for another retelling of Simon's game.
The fact that LoS was originally supposed to be that really has left me itching for a current gen CV1 remake
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #351 on: March 19, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
The fact that LoS was originally supposed to be that really has left me itching for a current gen CV1 remake
My 3DS just needs a new Classicvania period.

Man we're running out of things to talk about with this series, I feel like I repeat the same thing almost everyday now. :T

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: March 19, 2014, 02:45:46 PM »
Anyway, I'm feeling the urge to replay alll of IGA's 2D games in chronological order. I'm going to throw in the Arrange version of Chronicles and DXC for good measure as well.

I was thinking the same thing actually and I love DXC but damn if Maria is not insanely too strong for Arrange Mode.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: March 19, 2014, 02:51:39 PM »
My 3DS just needs a new Classicvania period.

Man we're running out of things to talk about with this series, I feel like I repeat the same thing almost everyday now. :T
Why does it have to be a handheld?

I want a console/PC release that actually takes advantage of what consoles can offer, not a dumbed down portable... I'm real tired of handheld Castlevania.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #354 on: March 19, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
I would love that to, but that will never happen. The only way we'd see a console release like that would be if it was a port from a handheld or a low budget digital release for something like $15 to $20 bucks.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #355 on: March 19, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »
+2
Why does it have to be a handheld?
Because my 3DS still needs a truly good Castlevania game. Mirror of Fate wasn't enough to scratch that itch.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #357 on: March 19, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
+2
someone needs to try & get him to do an interview for the Dungeon, kinda like how Cox did an interview with the CHapel several years ago. Nagumo, beingthehero, Shiroi, etc. MAKE IT HAPPEN

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #358 on: March 19, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
+1
I just read an interesting tidbit on Nintendolife that will be of interest to the metroidvania fans... assuming this hasn't already been brought up here.

Anyway, to paraphrase:
Konami told Igarashi he couldn't mention castlevania when talking about his plans. So he is glad that the term "metroidvania" exists.

Sounds like some are going to get exactly what they want out of this turn of events after all.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #359 on: March 19, 2014, 05:10:26 PM »
+1
ANOTHER interview. He's going all out. I don't think this one has been posted here yet and it was just put out 3 hours ago. This one with Jeremy Parish, one of the popularizers of the Metroidvania term.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-resurrection-of-koji-igarashi

Tags: