Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 148028 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #360 on: March 19, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »
ANOTHER interview. He's going all out. I don't think this one has been posted here yet and it was just put out 3 hours ago. This one with Jeremy Parish, one of the popularizers of the Metroidvania term.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-resurrection-of-koji-igarashi
USG: I noticed you did seem to focus on appealing to Japanese gamers in some ways. The anime art style of Dawn of Sorrow, for instance...

IGA: This is actually a common misconception that occurs. And that is the anime style chosen in Dawn of Sorrow - it wasn't to make it appeal more to the Japanese market, it was to make it appeal more to the DS market...

USG: Ahh, I see...

IGA: ...and the rationale there was that people who were gaming on the DS continue to get younger and younger versus previous handhelds. And if you, with the franchise, don't continue to try and get new fans and new customers, then you just end up with older and older gamers that sometimes stop gaming or peter off. So that was pretty much us trying to appeal to new, younger users, to try to get them interested in that series. Though it didn't really work. 

Interesting.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »
thats not new. its old news actually. hes said before that it (and por) was meant to appeal to a younger audience. i would wager the same for the plot actually. (for both games)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
+1
That whole bit about Ayami Kojima was the best.

EDIT: whoops, now that I reread it, he was talking about Yamane.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:37:15 PM by beingthehero »

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #363 on: March 19, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
Definitely

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #364 on: March 19, 2014, 06:25:40 PM »
I'm interested to know how close a resemblance his new project will bear to CV and if it does, how Konami will react. That Koumajou Densetsu game bears a preeeeeetty close resemblance to CV (Sotn) and I'm wondering if IGA will go that route.

Far as Japan and social games go, it seems pretty obvious that games like that appeal to people who aren't gamers. my girlfriend's GRANDMA plays Farmville religiously. iOS games are games you can sell to people who would probably never buy a console but still might want to play a game, and with phones being more powerful than portables now, it makes sense.

DMC4 ran at a stupidly slick 60fps and its combat system was (and still is) an absolute delight to play.

Doesn't matter how many fps the game plays at or that Dante was an amazing character when you consider the level design was CoD-tier and you played half the game with Nero, a pretty underwhelming and limited character, considering it was the 4th game in the series.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #365 on: March 19, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »
I'm interested to know how close a resemblance his new project will bear to CV and if it does, how Konami will react. That Koumajou Densetsu game bears a preeeeeetty close resemblance to CV (Sotn) and I'm wondering if IGA will go that route.

Taking Inafune Mighty Number 9 project as example, I can imagine a 2D platform, metroidvania style. As its said here in the forum, Konami doesn´t own the name Dracula, so IGA can make a game involving Dracula as an antagonist (or protagonist :P). The problem would be if, in pair with IGA, Konami anounces a similar 2D game (I really doubt) with Dracula in it.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »
Before everyone gets too excited fantasizing the new dream IGA metroidvania like its 1999, just remember that the majority of video game startups fail before getting off the ground. Also, fans always seem to complain that Konami never gave IGA enough of a budget, which in theory is the reason many of his his games were flawed. Running a startup, I doubt he would have anywhere near the budgets that Konami gave him to produce gems like Judgment or Harmony of Despair.

Remember, he can't take the sprites with him...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:53:59 PM by justin312 »

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: March 19, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »
True, but for that reason, Kickstarter exists ;).

Just see how much Inafune gets for the MN9 project. Yes, we can just wait to see if IGA start a Kickstarter´s project, and his budget vision...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #368 on: March 19, 2014, 07:16:05 PM »
And he said he's talking to publishers and other developers at GDC for that very reason.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #369 on: March 19, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
story-wise, i dunno... im kinda torn on whether i would like to see iga take on the vampire mythos again, continuing to use dracula or anything. then again, i dont wanna see more "Nanobreaker" nonsense either. however vampire mythos is what hes accustomed to, i just not sure if i want it to be too derivitive of traditional castlevania. he has an opportunity to give us something completely original, and that concept seems more intruiging than anything else

i guess we'll see soon eounugh

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »
Is it odd that I was playing harmony of dissonance today on my statistics break?

Santa belmont. But anyways bring a whip and whip it good IGA lord knows you want to.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »
He could make something with Wayforward guys... I'm sure they will try to look for him. Not only them, though.

The possibilities are very interesting. Maybe he can try to make a new series, without a gothic look and more of a horror, or something Lovecraftian inspired or something. I know that I'll fully endorse his new endeavor.

While Castlevania I'll be approaching with caution, since the last thing the series gave to us was LoS... which I don't like at all.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2014, 07:52:36 PM »
I just thought what if he made a getsu fuma like game or gradius, or contra like game? He could be the answer to other players prayers as well. 
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2014, 07:55:11 PM »
Lovecraft can be a difficult tone to nail down, especially in an action game. Although a boss fight against the Colour Out of Space would make the entire thing worthwhile.

I just thought what if he made a getsu fuma like game or gradius, or contra like game? He could be the answer to other players prayers as well. 

I miss Gradius.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2014, 08:51:31 PM »
+1
After reading these interviews and seeing how Igarashi left on quite amicable terms, and how he was pleased with Lords of Shadow as a series I don't think he'll try to copy Castlevania or step on their vampire mythos toes just out if respect for Konami and the series.

He's quite grateful to them and wants the series to continue to be successful so I don't see him trying to undermine or sabotage Konami.

Tags:

anything