Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 147293 times)

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #375 on: March 19, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »
+1
Before everyone gets too excited fantasizing the new dream IGA metroidvania like its 1999, just remember that the majority of video game startups fail before getting off the ground. Also, fans always seem to complain that Konami never gave IGA enough of a budget, which in theory is the reason many of his his games were flawed. Running a startup, I doubt he would have anywhere near the budgets that Konami gave him to produce gems like Judgment or Harmony of Despair.

Remember, he can't take the sprites with him...

yeah..., but...he has a name. I think a big part of the reason a lot of video game startups fail is because they have no name to attach themselves to. IGA is well known in the business and I think because of that, he won't have a lot of the problems a lot of startups with non-household name people have.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2014, 10:12:45 PM »
After seeing this just now;

Mighty No. 9 GDC Video

I would so be ok with IGA's first project being a side scrolling 3D Metroidvania if it looks this impressive.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #377 on: March 19, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »
After reading these interviews and seeing how Igarashi left on quite amicable terms, and how he was pleased with Lords of Shadow as a series I don't think he'll try to copy Castlevania or step on their vampire mythos toes just out if respect for Konami and the series.

He's quite grateful to them and wants the series to continue to be successful so I don't see him trying to undermine or sabotage Konami.

He still might step into the vampire mythos. There are a lot of vampire stories in the world that doesn't involve the European vampire model. And if I can recall correctly in an interview he gave years back, he is well aware of other vampire stories like the ones in Southeast Asia.

Yes, it was a good thing that he left Konami in good terms.

I would so be ok with IGA's first project being a side scrolling 3D Metroidvania if it looks this impressive.

As said in one interview, IGA might not immediately go into 3D. He would go there but not in the immediate future.

Here's an article that might be interesting for those who are wondering what the future might hold for our beloved series.
Well as if we haven't thought of some of the things listed there too.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/03/19/future-of-castlevania-in-limbo/78550/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:59:40 PM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #378 on: March 19, 2014, 11:45:20 PM »
He still might step into the vampire mythos. There are a lot of vampire stories in the world that doesn't involve the European vampire model. And if I can recall correctly in an interview he gave years back, he is well aware of other vampire stories like the ones in Southeast Asia.

It will be more interesting if it will be involve youkai mythos rather than vampire mythos.

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: March 20, 2014, 04:49:20 AM »

It will be more interesting if it will be involve youkai mythos rather than vampire mythos.

This would be rad.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: March 20, 2014, 04:54:13 AM »

Well that's what I meant. I don't think he'll make a game involving Dracula or the typical European vampire model. If he does something with Vampires I bet he'll make it distinctly different in tone.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #381 on: March 20, 2014, 08:19:42 AM »
So, would Harmony of Despair qualify as a social game?

Dungeon's worst nightmare: HoD reboot.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #382 on: March 20, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
tbh wasn't there kind of a consensus here that hodespair had potential? I mean even Judgment had potential (and that game, along with Curse of Darkness, is my ultimate guilty pleasure).

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: March 20, 2014, 08:32:53 AM »
So, would Harmony of Despair qualify as a social game?

Dungeon's worst nightmare: HoD reboot.

Probably could actually. I'm kind of surprised its considered bad here, while I've never played it myself, I've seen videos and on other forums its generally well received as a really fun multiplayer experience.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #384 on: March 20, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
Harmony of Despair isn't a bad game but I perfer my Castlevania's to be a single player experience.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #385 on: March 20, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
Yeah, it has potential. I wouldn't mind if they would use the Castlevania IP to experiment with social games like that. I was afraid by "social" they meant those "pay to keep playing" type games you find on Facebook, etc. Still I would imagine it would get a lot of flack just because it wouldn't be single player.     

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #386 on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »
Probably could actually. I'm kind of surprised its considered bad here, while I've never played it myself, I've seen videos and on other forums its generally well received as a really fun multiplayer experience.

I think it has to do with the fact that it's made entirely out of reused assets, plus the time limit. I actually kind of understand the resuse of sprites and backgrounds, though.

As for the timer, yeah, that's something they should have made optional because it does kind of kill the desire to explore.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #387 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:06 AM »
+1
I fear for my favorite series. Being trapped in limbo. It cannot die, yet.... It cannot live.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #388 on: March 20, 2014, 09:31:02 AM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/former-castlevania-producer-would-love-to-work-on-metroid

Just a brief blurb by IGN. It's pretty much what the title says.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: March 20, 2014, 10:07:16 AM »
I don't think that would be a good idea. We already know of IGAs reluctance toward female heroes of which Samus is. IGA might just as be inclined to pull something similar to what Yoshio Sakamoto did with the story of Other M and butcher Samus' character even more. The only person whom I could trust for another Metroid game is Gunpei Yokoi since he created the series amongst other things at Nintendo. Unfortunately he's dead now...  :'(
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: