Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 147134 times)

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #450 on: March 21, 2014, 09:46:46 AM »
I'm sure people attending will give us an idea of what was said.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #451 on: March 21, 2014, 10:08:12 AM »
Historical accuracy and Castlevania, lol.

If you want to continue this discussion, please make a seperate topic.

Thanks for stepping in Nagumo  :)

(remember the Belmonts were feared & exiled from society at that time due to their reputation) then it would be cool to throw in a rebooted Sonia, i dont think nobody would be opposed to that. JUST DONT MAKE HER FIGHT DRACULA

Then there wouldn't be much of a game if she was only rebooted for back story purposes. And it wouldn't be fair to her fans if that was the case. Also she's a Belmont. It's her job to kill Dracula if and when he shows up. In terms of 'who fought Dracula first' is no different then kids arguing on a big toy. It doesn't matter about who killed Dracula first, that's just nonsense. The main focus of the Belmonts is that they were there to kill Dracula when he showed up. Simple. But getting back to IGA I honestly wouldn't trust him with Metroid. At least not on the story development. If he were allowed to make a Metroid game then he should be supervised by someone else who would be the director. Someone who'd respect the character of Samus Aran and not maker her the devolved hand-holding girl with daddy issues as Yoshio Sakamoto had done.

"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #452 on: March 21, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »
+2
i never said sonia couldnt fight other vampires or monsters. just not Dracula, cuz cv3 said Trevor was the first to fight him, theres no getting around that. had iga made leon the first, then people would be crying fowl how he disrespected cv3, but if sonia fought him first its okay just becuz shes a woman? come on man

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #453 on: March 21, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »
But don't we all know that Dracula always comes back?  What's the deal with her fighting him?
Hell, Christopher fought him TWICE.  Simon fought him TWICE.  Julius technically could fight him TWICE>

It's really no big deal whether she fought him before Trevor, it's not like there's any credible merit to vanquishing someone that can be brought back with the right ingredients/ritual, or just by waiting a while.

If anything, the only one that can say they slayed Dracula for good (and even then, it's a bit superfluous), is Julius Belmont.  THAT Dracula did not come back, not in the normal Castlevania sense of the word.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #454 on: March 21, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
Bottom line is her fighting Dracula first contradicted what was revealed in CV3.

And IGA in a attempt to try to add a little bit of a stable continuity decided to correct it by removing Legends which contradicted the CV3 story.

CV3 is MUCH higher regarded then Legends, I'm sorry Sonia fans but to IGA I can see which would be the lesser of two evils, either get rid of mediocre gameboy title which just so happens to feature a female lead, or deal with fan constantly bitching over how Legends contradicts CV3, and lets be honest, the man had enough bitching at him already let alone if he decided to keep Legends in his official canon.

It would have just been 1 more thing for fans to cry fowl over at him for including it.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #455 on: March 21, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »
So, when Legends ignores CV3's original intent it's a problem and the game should be retconned, but when CV3 ignores Adventure's original intent then it's perfectly fine? Using the same logic, shouldn't IGA have removed one of them as well then? Adventure and CV3 can't even exist in the same universe because they are mutually exclusive to each other. 

I actually don't care about Legends getting retconned, but I thought it was interesting to point out.

Also, thread derail lol       

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #456 on: March 21, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »
So, when Legends ignores CV3's original intent it's a problem and the game should be retconned, but when CV3 ignores Adventure's original intent then it's perfectly fine? Using the same logic, shouldn't IGA have removed one of them as well then? Adventure and CV3 can't even exist in the same universe because they are mutually exclusive to each other. 

I actually don't care about Legends getting retconned, but I thought it was interesting to point out.

Also, thread derail lol     

As i said CV3 is held in high regard while those gameboy titles where not.

So I don't think many would have really cared if he removed or kept adventure since it did not make "to much" of a change to the over all things in my opinion.

But to have Legends have a female belmont kill dracula first and supposedly get knocked up by the SOTN's famed Alucard rubbed a lot the wrong way and apparently it struck true with IGA as well.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #457 on: March 21, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »

doesnt legends not work anyway, b/c of Alucard's birth/age & Lisa's death not matching up? or are we just ignoring those little tidbits lol

only other way i could see legends being reinstated is if sonia actually doesnt kill dracula, it ends in a stalemate & he flees, allowing for Trevor to track him down. but if they did that then ppl would say "so a woman isnt strong enough to kill him?!?" lmao damned if you do, damned if you dont
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:00:44 AM by crisis »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #458 on: March 21, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »
Also, I do want to point out that there is a distinct difference between the nature of Belmonts being descended from Alucard, and Belmonts being descended from Gabriel, whatever your opinions on either.

In the LoS canon, Gabriel became a vampire AFTER he had Trevor, and Trevor became a vampire AFTER having Simon, so the descendants of Simon, the Belmont clan, are human. There is no "taint", so to speak, in their blood. However, there's nothing inherently special about Belmonts aside from skill, natural prowess, and "fate" which is a bit disappointing.

In the Legends canon, Trevor is the product of a Dhampir, making the root of all the Belmonts' power vampiric in nature, and I think it's totally understandable why some people wouldn't like that. I'm not a huge fan of it myself. Belmonts have always been the holy warriors with the "special powers" that stand opposed to Dracula. They summon giant crucifixes, rain holy water from the sky, and fight with bibles.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #459 on: March 21, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
To be honest the best story parts of the old cannon were when the Belmont's were not so pure. I like to imagine them as a flawed lineage, which see themselves as "holy" but in reality they aren't.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #460 on: March 21, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
Can this thread reach the 550+ pages of the LoS2 one? :)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #461 on: March 21, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
but wasnt it said that the Belmonts were feared & exiled becuz of their power, long before Trevor came around? which means even before Alucard was born, Sonia, etc. they were always a mysterious clan, so the vampiric taint from Alucard+Sonia shouldnt matter anyway

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #462 on: March 21, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »
To be honest the best story parts of the old cannon were when the Belmont's were not so pure. I like to imagine them as a flawed lineage, which see themselves as "holy" but in reality they aren't.

I'm kind of surprised that it wans't until Lords that the series explored the whole 'he who fights monsters eventually becomes one.' Maybe Richter counts, since Shaft exploited his resentment that a Belmont had one shot to shine and once Dracula was dead and waiting for his next ressurection the Belmonts didn't matter.

For all their flaws, Curse and Judgment did illustrate that the original Belmonts weren't perfect. Trevor could be brash and needlessly hostile, and Simon was somewhat insecure (though still pretty heroic and pure).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:13:33 AM by beingthehero »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #463 on: March 21, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »
+1
I don't mind that the Belmonts are fallible. They're human. They're supposed to be.

I just don't want them picking up the 4e "Vampiric Heritage" feat.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #464 on: March 21, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »
I know an official timeline exists and all... But I've never given a shit about continuity in the castlevania games. I love most of the games, but I've never seen Mathias and portrait of ruin dracula as being the same guy. To me, it's like every game has its own little universe attached to it. Even sequels like bloodlines and portrait of ruin seem like separate alternate timelines to me. That might be the reason I never gave a shit about lords of shadow rebooting everything. To me every game is a reboot. Specially with characters changing looks at random like alucard, Simon, etc. Ive never pictured devil forgemasters being a thing in cv1. I've never pictured the cv2 castle being the castle that belonged to mathias, it just doesn't make sense to me. The castlevania story is forced and weird because many people have worked on the series. Am I the only one who thinks this? I still have a problem believing aria of sorrow and rondo of blood happening in the same universe. I KNOW OFFICIALLY THEY DO. But symphony of the night alucard is not the same alucard as arikado, who isn't the same as CV3 alucard. Geez, I'm just rambling now...

Tags:

anything