Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145847 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #480 on: March 21, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
belmont warlord chromosones, bro. the belmonts got their power from centuries of monster hunting & pure will. they were only accepted into society again after the church discovered Trevor & he defeated Dracula

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #481 on: March 21, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
Sad to see him go. Hopefully Konami will find someone else who will want to continue the real timeline(and maybe give us the 1999 game).

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #482 on: March 21, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
belmont warlord chromosones, bro. the belmonts got their power from centuries of monster hunting & pure will. they were only accepted into society again after the church discovered Trevor & he defeated Dracula

Agree with this ^

When I play the first Castlevanias (before Legends comes to light), I supose that the superhuman powers that the Belmonts has were form the Belmont Chromosomes (as is implied in the CVIII manual or box, I don´t remember). Then, when I played and finished Legends, and I read that Sonia have a baby with Alucard, I learned that "maybe" is because of that the superhuman power of the Belmont, from that part of the history... I accepted, but I don´t like it too much. I like the part of Sonia, beeing a vampire hunter, but the game were not as great as Belmont´s Revenge. But I really like the art of Sonia :D.

As for a new game by IGA (on topic :P), I remember that game for cell phones, in which you take control of some kind of warrior that resembles Alucard, and you fight in the end a vampire, not Dracula, but a vampire. So, I don´t see why IGA can´t make a game involving vampires and a major vampire as an antagonist. After all, that what all we fans want. isn´t???
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
« Reply #484 on: March 21, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »
"the bosses are the stars of the game."

Always knew there was a reason I liked him.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #485 on: March 21, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
Well, if I worked under a company that made me shell out subpar releases every year on budgets so small resource farming from older games was a necessity, I'd leave, too.

Good on him. Hope he'll be able to bring some good stuff to the table from this.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #486 on: March 21, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
"the bosses are the stars of the game."

Always knew there was a reason I liked him.

Yeah, I think the same way. The bosses in a videogame are my favorite part, and in a Castlevania game, since the first games, they ARE my favorite element of the game.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #487 on: March 21, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »

I've always had that as an idea as well. It makes sense that it's been a tradition that the Belmonts have been vampire/demon hunters since BEFORE Trevor(and LONG before Trevor).

And personally, I'm still biased regarding Trevor being the first Belmont to kill Dracula. It just fits better that way. Even with Leon written into the mix, it doesn't retcon Trevor being the first, as Leon doesn't even fight Dracula(let alone "KILL" him). And while LoI isn't my ideal origin story, it kept CV3 sacred(which I think is the REAL reason IGA hates Legends retconned Trevor being the first Belmont defeating Dracula, and IGA seems really fanboyish over CV3, which he's said on occasions to be his favorite), as well as established a time period where the Belmonts(who were already knights) could hone their demon/vampire hunting skills for centuries BEFORE CV3. Again, I like to think the Belmont's skills to battle evil is their own, not related(by blood) to Dracula(who is their ancestor, but isn't... hehehe). It just makes matters more interesting. The Belmonts are badass because they just are. They aren't BORN into a family of magical vampire blood, hence are super-human. They work their ASSES off fighting evil and that MAKES them super-human.

I think the whole, "It's because... THIS" theory seems like a cop out. It's the same as the whole, "The reason Cloud is super strong in every FFVII game/story is because.... (Final Fantasy VII and Compilation Spoilers)
(click to show/hide)

Yeah, I think the same way. The bosses in a videogame are my favorite part, and in a Castlevania game, since the first games, they ARE my favorite element of the game.
Whenever I would think up a fan CV idea, after the initial plot idea, the first main thing I'd think up is what bosses I'd love to include! In video games, bosses are ALWAYS a highlight, and Castlevania is no exeption. It's the reason I(among others HERE, and I know for a fact because of it we are all kindred spirits) always stay tuned, eyes peeled and ears to the web when a new CV is released(did it for LoS, MoF and LoS2, despite not liking them much) JUST to get a list of what bosses will be featured in the games.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:09:29 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #488 on: March 21, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »

Word. I value bosses to an incredibly high degree in games and I think the Iga produced games have a lot to do with developing that in me. Those and Treasure games.

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #489 on: March 21, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »
Also in retrospect I wonder if the "boss programmers have to be able to beat the boss without getting hit" line of thought is where the boss medals from Order of Ecclesia came from.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #491 on: March 21, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »
Word. I value bosses to an incredibly high degree in games and I think the Iga produced games have a lot to do with developing that in me. Those and Treasure games.
Bosses have always been a "thing" with me and my friends. I remember my friend lending me Kid Niki back in the day(must've been in elementary school) and the first thing I asked as NOT what the game was about, but what the bosses were. "Death Breath, Stone Buddha, Horned Witch, Green Grub, Mad Monk, Samurai Guard and Stone Wizard!". Fuck yeah, now you're playin' with POWER! BOSS POWER!!!  ;D

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #492 on: March 21, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »
Bosses have always been a "thing" with me and my friends. I remember my friend lending me Kid Niki back in the day(must've been in elementary school) and the first thing I asked as NOT what the game was about, but what the bosses were. "Death Breath, Stone Buddha, Horned Witch, Green Grub, Mad Monk, Samurai Guard and Stone Wizard!". Fuck yeah, now you're playin' with POWER! BOSS POWER!!!  ;D

I really love bosses in a game. When I decide to buy a new game (new to me) the first thing that I seek is always a boss fight. I search in youtube for "X" game and then type "boss fight". I have to say, that the way that I get involved with the Ys saga for example was precisely the boss fights (also, the incredible boss battle theme :D).

Whenever I would think up a fan CV idea, after the initial plot idea, the first main thing I'd think up is what bosses I'd love to include! In video games, bosses are ALWAYS a highlight, and Castlevania is no exeption. It's the reason I(among others HERE, and I know for a fact because of it we are all kindred spirits) always stay tuned, eyes peeled and ears to the web when a new CV is released(did it for LoS, MoF and LoS2, despite not liking them much) JUST to get a list of what bosses will be featured in the games.

I declare myself guilty of such thing, too ;)...

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #493 on: March 21, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/213706/Father_and_SON_IGA_talks_Metroidvania.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

Some other stuff here too

This was neat too. Interesting hearing about the decisions that lead to Alucard becoming the playable character.

Mad Monk sounds like my kind of dude.

Same.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #494 on: March 21, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »
It's pretty much a religious thing. And yeah, we are not alone. Whenever someone says, "Leak! The game's been LEAKED! Someone got it EARLY!!!", everybody who's anybody is always clawing over each other in the boards wondering if the boss list has been posted yet. Yup, I'm there with bells on!!! :D

Tags:

anything