Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586902 times)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2012, 07:24:27 AM »
The (awful) new Silent Hill movie has me back on a SH kick.  I've been working my way through Silent Hill 3 on the SH HD Collection, which is also awful.  It's strange; I've loved the Silent Hill series for years, but it's always been hard to pick up and play.  I rarely play through the games a second time, because it's not a series that I consider fun.  I love the atmosphere and quirks, but it's just too terrifying to be enjoyable.  But despite that, I suddenly feel like playing through the whole series again.  I guess I just have to be in the right mindset.

Also working on Lollipop Chainsaw and Dead Space.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
Hah... Alundra... I played the 2nd one first. And I ..................... nearly beat it. That is to say, I beat the final boss, but then you have to escape the ship(?) the boss is on, but it's a terribly annoying maze, and it had a time limit. The one part that got me... was half way through it, i managed to work out how to go backward in it but I used most of my time on it... so I died. After that, I was like "Fuck this!"

Alundra 1...... I played for a couple of hours, and had no idea where to go or what to do, then I quit.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: November 07, 2012, 02:11:20 AM »
Hah... Alundra... I played the 2nd one first. And I ..................... nearly beat it. That is to say, I beat the final boss, but then you have to escape the ship(?) the boss is on, but it's a terribly annoying maze, and it had a time limit. The one part that got me... was half way through it, i managed to work out how to go backward in it but I used most of my time on it... so I died. After that, I was like "Fuck this!"

Alundra 1...... I played for a couple of hours, and had no idea where to go or what to do, then I quit.

Sounds like me, when i played for the first time RPG games, Zelda on game Boy and Breath of Fire III on psx.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #273 on: November 07, 2012, 03:47:47 AM »
Rainbow Islands Extra on my Taito Memories II Gekan on PS2, the game is extremely hard to perfect due to all the factors and hoops one must go through.

It kicked my ass yes, but I credit fed to a good ending, but did not break the games score cap of 9,999,990. It can be done via code, or by doing many many different things throughout the game.

61: Notes on Rainbow Islands Extra by Robert Gallagher
    62: --------------------------------------------------
    63:    In Rainbow Islands Extra, there are more changes than just the differing enemies/rounds.
    64:
    65:    In RIE if you end a level with the same 2 digits in your score as xxxx220, you will receive
    66:    items at the "GOAL IN" worth 3000 points each (instead of 500pts) as:
    67:
    68:    00 = french fries
    69:    11 = neopolaton ice cream
    70:    22 = creme caramel
    71:    33 = hamburgers
    72:    44 = cake slice
    73:    55 = iced bun
    74:    66 = mug of beer
    75:    77 = hotdog on a stick
    76:    88 = vanilla ice cream
    77:    99 = blue popsicle
    78:
    79:    There are two other possibilities:
    80:    moneybags - worth 500pts if you don't have double digits, or worth 3000 points if you do (any)
    81:                if you got the 'Money Coin' powerup in a secret room.
    82:    hearts - worth 10,000 each, this is based on a timer in 0x0010DBA4 && 128 == 0, making this a
    83:             1 in 128 chance.
    84:
    85:
    86:    The items received in 'Secret Room' are not the same as Rainbow Islands. They are based on
    87:    the LAST diamond you collect in the round before entering. That is; you must still collect
    88:    the 7 diamonds in order, Red, Orange, Yellow... to enter a secret room, however, AFTER completing
    89:    this, you can still collect diamonds. If you collect (last), you get:
    90:
    91:    Red - Book of Continues - this allows you to continue after world 7
    92:    Orange - Money Bag - this will make a 100,000pt Money bag fall from the sky on every round.
    93:             it will also make all fruit at 'GOAL IN' into money bags.
    94:    Yellow - Key - when taken, this will show the Secret room code completely for about 8 seconds.
    95:    Green - Protection Fairy, gives you the protection fairy for about 8 seconds at the beginning
    96:            of each round, or after you die. (NOT perm. like RI, code at $C528 in RIE handles this,
    97:            and is distinctly different from the code at $BC8C in RI)
    98:    Blue - Yellow Potion, gives you perm. fast rainbow power
    99:    Indigo - Red Potion, gives you perm. 2X rainbow power
   100:    Violet - Shoes, gives you perm. fast feet.
   101:
   102:    Unlike the secret rooms in Rainbow Islands, in Rainbow Islands Extra, only 2 letters of the code
   103:    for that room are revealed. The first letter, and the second letter will corespond to the last
   104:    diamond collected before entering the secret room. (You can see this with the coloured hearts
   105:    that remain). The idea is that you must enter the secret room 7X to get the full code, making the
   106:    game harder. Otherwise, collecting a yellow diamond will give you the 'key' to the room, and reveal
   107:    the code for about 5 seconds.
   108:
   109:    In the secret rooms of RIE there is an added bonus; If you exit the room without collecting the
   110:    power-up item, you will receive a 1,000,000pt bonus. The text in the room in Japanese reads:
   111:    "KYOUKA-SOUBI WO TORAZUNI DERUTO 1000000 TEN HAIRUYO !!"
   112:
   113:    If you enter all 10 secret rooms in Rainbow Islands Extra, and do NOT collect the powerups in
   114:    _any_ of the rooms, you will receive "SPECIAL BIG BONUS !! 50000000 PTS."
   115:
   116:    If you enter all 10 secret rooms, and do NOT collect the bubble-rainbow power in secret room 10,
   117:    (though you may collect them in others) you will receive "SPECIAL BIG BONUS !! 10000000 PTS."
   118:
   119:    If you collect the bubble-rainbow power in secret room 10, you will receive "ALL ROOM CLEAR
   120:    5000000" bonus instead.
   121:
   122:    In Rainbow Islands Extra (as in Rainbow Islands), if you collect 2 of any colour 'cane'...
   123:      (canes are collected for collecting 7 of one colour of diamond, WITHOUT 'complete' happening, or
   124:      if 'complete', you must collect 7 of the same colour diamond within one round. (the diamond
   125:      counters are reset to one at the beginning of each round once 'complete' has occured).
   126:    ...you will receive a 'Potion' (not Rainbow powerup potions)
   127:    of the appropriate colour. Once collected, you will receive a
   128:    100,000pts. large fruit item at 'GOAL IN' for that round. Although the code for this is present in
   129:    Rainbow Islands, it is rarely seen. This is not a result of poor emulation, but rather poor coding;
   130:    In both RI and RIE, there are tables that indicate which special item is deserved, and what actions
   131:    are required to earn them. (the number of times the event must occur).
   132:    In both RI and RIE, you receive a special item for every 3rd enemy you kill as:
   133:    1. Shoes
   134:    2. Red Potion
   135:    3. Yellow Potion
   136:    4. Red Potion
   137:    5. Crystal Ball
   138:    6. Yellow star
   139:    7. Red Star
   140:    8. - Special item - depending on what you deserve.
   141:
   142:    The Special item table can be found at $ADC0 in RI, and $B5E8 in RIE. This table is checked in
   143:    linear fashion until a special item requirement is met.
   144:    items 24/25/26 are: Blue Ring/Violet Ring/Red Ring.
   145:    To get these items you collect: Red Potion/Yellow Potion/Shoes. (note that each potion collect =+2)
   146:    In Rainbow Islands, this table shows that we need only collect:
   147:    3 red potions (but each one counts as +2 if you created it, or +1 if you 'found' it in a level),
   148:    3 yellow potions ""
   149:    3 red shoes (only count as one)
   150:    The 'canes', and 'potions' occur -after- these entries (cane index 27-33, potion index 34-40)
   151:    So the reason that you (rarely!) see the canes, and hence the potions in RI, is because you will
   152:    almost ALWAYS satisfy at least one of these requirements: 2 RED potions are given before 1 'special'
   153:    In Rainbow Islands Extra however, the canes are more common. This is because the index shows that
   154:    we need to collect 12/12/12 of the above before we can get the rings.
   155:
   156:    One more condition has been added to RIE regards this;
   157:    if _no_ special item has been earned, you will receive a Potion that is the same colour as the
   158:    LAST diamond you have collected in the round.
   159:
   160:
   161:
   162: Bugs in Jumping
   163: ---------------
   164:
   165: The bootleggers didn't defeat the protection completely: Secret
   166: rooms are broken, some dying enemy sprites have obviously wrong
   167: graphics, monsters are falling through platforms etc.
   168:
   169:
   170: Secret rooms in Rainbow Islands
   171: -------------------------------
   172:
   173: Getting the small diamonds in order (red through to purple) opens
   174: a secret door in the boss room. The trick is to turn an enemy into
   175: a diamond of a specific color: It depends on its x position and
   176: direction. There is a cheat code at the top of each secret room
   177: that can be entered on the copyright screen:
   178:
   179:    L -> left
   180:    R -> right
   181:    J -> jump
   182:    B -> rainbow
   183:    S -> start
   184:
   185:               |  regular   |  extra
   186:    --------------+------------+------------
   187:    Fast Feet     |  BLRBJSBJ  |  SLLSRJRR
   188:    Red Potion    |  RJSBJLBR  |  JLSSSBRJ
   189:    Yellow Potion |  SSSLLRRS  |  BRSLJSLJ
   190:    Hint A        |  BJBJBJRS  |  BJBJBJRS
   191:    Hint B        |  LJLSLBLS  |  LJLSLBLS
   192:    Continue      |  LBSJRLJL  |  LJLRSJJJ
   193:    Money Bags    |  RRLLBBJS  |  LLSBRRJB
   194:    Money + Cont  |  RRRRSBSJ  |  RSJRLBRS
   195:    Hint C        |  SJBLRJSR  |  SJBLRJSR
   196:    100M Counter  |  SRBJSLSB  |  BBSSJJJJ
   197:    Hint D        |  N/A       |  BBJJRLSL
   198:    Hint E        |  N/A       |  LRSLRSJR
   199:    Hint F        |  N/A       |  SBJLSBRR
   200:
   201: ***************************************************************************/

This all basically explains the games mechanics, very complicated for an arcade game from 1988.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #274 on: November 07, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »
Woo! I beat Portal 2, great game. I'll miss GLaDOS, a new one of my favorite video game characters.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:10:05 AM by Ratty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: November 07, 2012, 05:59:23 PM »
With me it's still Skyrim. All the mods I've downloaded keeps the game experience fresh and interesting every time I start a new file. I've recently created Red Sonja and she's using Conan's sword! I love these mods!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: November 07, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
Beat fire emblem shadow dragon about an hour ago. Here is a tip I have for all.

Ahem!!!......

Hot chicks or cute girls with red,green,blue, and pink hair in short skirts are always the anwser in fire emblem well for me anyways. Yes they can be fully clothed but....

(click to show/hide)

Overall I feel that the gba games and por are better than shadow dragon,but shadow dragon was really a nice game. To experience the first game of such a great series I think is a good treat and it just took me three years to beat  ;)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:02:24 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: November 07, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »
Sounds like me, when i played for the first time RPG games, Zelda on game Boy and Breath of Fire III on psx.

Yea but Alundra is unbelievably good at not telling you where to go next.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #278 on: November 08, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »

The game originally came with a cloth map, that might have helped.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: November 08, 2012, 01:56:14 AM »

Your guide to that game is the new abilities that you acquired. Every time you take a new ability, you'll have to go and try it where you couldn't get before. For example, when you've got the flail, you can go where the stone wouldn't let you advance and along the way, you'll come across the next dungeon to explore. I never had a problem to find my way, i only had problem with puzzles and bosses.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: November 19, 2012, 08:12:02 PM »
I have been playing the snes version of this game.

Tokimeki Memorial ~ Forever With You Opening

It's much harder than one would think and since I am playing an orginal copy I have to use faqs and stuff still hard as heck,
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Green Stranger

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #281 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »
Yesterday I played Resident Evil 4 for the first time. Good stuff! This is the first time in months in which I've played a game over an hour without tuning out.

I'm a bit behind in the whole survival horror vs gears of war-esque debate about these recent games. I cant be too certain where Resident Evil 4 fits exactly but it sure is a lot of fun. Not to mention the variety of randomly sprinkled Spanish profanity lol.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2012, 08:14:35 AM »
+1
THE WII-U!

I've been playing NintendoLand on it but that's gotten taken over by New Super Mario Bros. U, which is the most beautiful-looking classic Mario game ever.
Plus, I can play it in the bathroom! xD

I love the screen controller.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »
I'm a bit behind in the whole survival horror vs gears of war-esque debate about these recent games. I cant be too certain where Resident Evil 4 fits exactly but it sure is a lot of fun. Not to mention the variety of randomly sprinkled Spanish profanity lol.

RE4 happens after RE: Code Veronica X and before RE5. The game also came out years before Gear of War was even a glimmer in the eyes of it's developers so I'm not sure what the argument is there either.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
THE WII-U!

I've been playing NintendoLand on it but that's gotten taken over by New Super Mario Bros. U, which is the most beautiful-looking classic Mario game ever.
Plus, I can play it in the bathroom! xD

I love the screen controller.
Ditto! I was happy to find out that my bedroom is a safe distance away from the console so I can enjoy some in bed gaming!

ZombieU will be coming in the mail tomorrow, so that will probably take over for a bit. But I just started up The Last Story in the Wii U and am enjoying it so far (only really played 15 minutes worth, but what the hey).

Tags:

anything