Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586597 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #765 on: December 13, 2013, 05:00:48 AM »
Finally got around to loading up some games on my PS2's HDD and I'm trying out a bunch of Horror games I never got to play. Haunting Ground, Fatal Frame 3, Clock Tower 3, and going to go back and play Silent Hill Origins on a big screen since I only played it on PSP before.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #766 on: December 13, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
Finally got around to loading up some games on my PS2's HDD and I'm trying out a bunch of Horror games I never got to play. Haunting Ground, Fatal Frame 3, Clock Tower 3, and going to go back and play Silent Hill Origins on a big screen since I only played it on PSP before.

You should go for Haunting Ground first, i guarantee you that you want get disappointed!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #767 on: December 13, 2013, 02:22:15 PM »
Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition and Shadow Warrior Classic Redux in a pack for $4 on steam. Woohoo! Now I can finally play these with proper mouselook. Now if only Monolith would release the source code or do a similar release for One Unit Whole Blood. Hmm

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #768 on: December 15, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Solo I have been playing xenogears since I'm on break and I'll state this. I love Xenogears the mechfighting, the translation (which I know was rushed it shows so it so much that I just have to put a smile and roll with it), the characters (I like Fei Fong Wong design wise I use to rock that ponytail style back in highschool but no where as long and I feel that the main female lead is Elly who just might turn out to be my favorite red/orange head anime girl since you know she's hot and all but I'm interested in what her relationship will be with Fei :P , the good doc who knows way more than he should, and Bart, he uses a whip nuff said he's already among my favorites along side Genis sage and Rita Mordio from the tales series that use whips and stuff Genis uses a kendama in a whip like motion.

With my niece a bunch of arcade like games from X-men, Final Fight 3 to Streets of Rage 2 to Sunset Riders on the genesis. And she is not half bad either got a couple bonus rounds with me in sunset riders, and the only thing I hate is that I can't use Blaze or Lucia and Why? -_- I have no choice or else I will feel the wrath of a child.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #769 on: December 15, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
I have been addicted to the Ys franchise, so I'm gonna play it until I hate it. I finished The Oath in Felghana, which was awesome. And I'm playing Ys Seven right now and loving it. After I finish it, though, I'm moving on to Maverick Hunter X. :3

I've only had a passing familiarity with the Clock Tower series, but I pretty much had a good idea of its atmosphere before playing Clock Tower 3. I really enjoyed CT3 until I played the first boss battle and was introduced to Dennis the menace (aka Ronald Weasley). The whole game just seemed too anime for my tastes. I enjoyed it as it actually had quite a bit of scares, but the anime feel to it kinda killed a lot of it.

Haunting Ground, though, is a game I really gotta get my hands on.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:19:31 PM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #770 on: December 16, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »
Played about half of a Christmas-themed Doom 2 megawad in co-op with the Samsara mod. Lots of fun.

Beat Volgarr the Viking on normal. Very satisfying. Don't know if I'll ever beat the hard "Path of the Valkyrie" mode which culminates in an extra level and final boss/alternate endings. Since you basically have to go through completely redone and harder versions of five of the original six levels without getting hit at all to collect lives for it, and once you run out of lives you're booted back to the normal mode campaign. Looking at the achievement stats 5.5% of players completed the basic game, but only 1.3% completed Path of the Valkyrie. Still a very satisfying game to beat and one I'd recommend to Classicvania fans, just prepare to die a lot.

Right now I'm about halfway through Part 2 of Duke Nukem 3D and taken with what I've alread played of Blood and Shadow Warrior it's really glaring to me that the Doom Engine games were better designed enemy and level wise than the BUILD Engine games were. It's like someone said "Guys, now that we've got room-over-room we'll never have to worry about making levels fun again."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:22:36 AM by Ratty »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #771 on: December 17, 2013, 07:13:41 AM »
Since the lady has been hogging my PS3 lately (should have never put her on to DCUO) I've been on a handheld spree; plants vs zombies 2, fantasy defense and have even dabbled with a little bit of Madcoaster. All fun and on my phone so eh
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #772 on: December 17, 2013, 10:44:44 AM »
I play games a lot on my phone at work. I got one of those portable usb controllers and play lots of psp/gba/nes/snes/etc on my breaks. Cant beat it really!

Offline Antronach

• Hi
  • lol
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #773 on: December 17, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
Been playing Metroid Prime since I figured I never played it on Trilogy before. The wiimote seems to make things easier.

Also been emulating a crapton of stuff. Mostly roms hacks and such, but I finally got around to playing Recca. Needs unlimited sprites turned on, but dang that game's amazing.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #774 on: December 18, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
Been playing Metroid Prime since I figured I never played it on Trilogy before. The wiimote seems to make things easier.

Also been emulating a crapton of stuff. Mostly roms hacks and such, but I finally got around to playing Recca. Needs unlimited sprites turned on, but dang that game's amazing.

For some reason I could never wrap my brain around the Wii controls in the Metroid Prime trilogy. I know it should be super intuitive, but for me it isn't, and I have no clue why. I love the first game though.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #775 on: December 18, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »
I have played only the first Metroid Prime and got stuck on Ridley boss fight.........and that was about 3-4 years ago? While i'm not a fan of first person view action, it was still adictive as a game.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #776 on: December 21, 2013, 10:36:50 PM »
Finished up Blood Dragon just a few days ago...pretty decent. I just wish they'd make a full game chock-full of 80's cliches, as this one was fun, and looked and sounded amazing, but just way too short.

Started Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen this week, too. As tired as I am of managing groups of characters in RPGs (as opposed to something like The Witcher or Fallout 3), this one is fun so far. Could do without the constant pawn chatter, though.

Also played a bit of Contra: Hard Corps. I may have to use the extra lives code...I just don't have the patience to start from scratch every time after 5 continues...I'm too old and cranky for that sort of thing now  :P

And lastly, played Tough Turf for an hour or so tonight...boooooooo.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #777 on: December 22, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
I just got yesterday Zelda a link between worlds, but i haven't started it yet.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #778 on: December 22, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »
They Bleed Pixels - love the style, I mean who wouldn't love a game that frequently quotes Lovecraft at the beginning of levels? But the gameplay just isn't that great. The controls feel a little loose (maybe I need to adjust them in xpadder?) and the way the levels are laid out it feels more like luck than skill when I advance. Without the frequent checkpoints this game would be beyond infuriating.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #779 on: December 23, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
The entire Darkstalkers series thanks to my newest purchase, Vampire Darkstalkers Collection (came out in 2005), beats playing the PS1 versions I got on PSN a week or so ago. Still much to learn in that series for me. The only game I 1 credited was Vampire Savior with Victor.

Tags: