Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Webcomics!  (Read 4709 times)

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: March 30, 2012, 07:54:49 AM »
Who here reads 'em? Being following a few off and on. Think it started with this:

Nothing Nice To Say was my intro to webcomics... soon after that I found Penny Arcade, who I'm sure many on here know. Also PVP, Dork Tower, Mac Hall, Little Gamers... most part good nerdish fun - being a gaming punk metalhead nerd, I naturally feel inclined towards such things.

Aaaaaaanyway..... linkage.

www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/
www.penny-arcade.com/
www.little-gamers.com
www.robandelliot.cycomics.com/
www.dorktower.com/
www.machall.com/

Anyone else got any ones they think are good?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:56:22 AM by Nail_Bombed »
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »
I read lots of web comics before I log on here. It's like my morning routeen.

Here's a list of them:

The adventures of Dr. McNinja.
MisFile.
DrowTales - Moonless Age.
MegaTokyo.
Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire.
Spinnerette.
Exiern.
No Need For Bushido.
ZAP!
Cool Cat Studios.
Between Failures.
The Dreamland Chronicles.
MARRY ME.
Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki.
Manly Guys doing Manly things.
Blip.
The Lounge.
Grrl Power.
Underling Comic.
White Noise.
Girl Genius.

There have been others but some of them have never been continued while others have been finished.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:07:47 AM »
I used to read a lot of webcomics 2002-late 2008, but I stopped, because it felt like a chore every day reading all of them.  :(

Offline ScionOfBalance

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:13:07 AM »
+1
I only read cvrpg....

(click to show/hide)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
While technically not a webcomic (it had a paper run), I love Perry Bible Fellowship. Golden material. Kind of bogus he took down a bunch of the strips just to get people to buy the book, though. That'd be like AVGN removing a bunch of episodes simply because they're on DVD now, which is horseshit.

Then, loooooong ago, I read Sexy Losers, which was the origin of "FAP" (and the less popular "shlick").
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »
Oh hell yes, PBF was awesome. I never realized the thing with the missing strips until I went looking for Preach Skate one time.

I used to read Dr McNinja all the time. I need to get back on that one of these days...good stuff. But like Highwind Dragoon said, it becomes a chore trying to keep up with them on a regular basis.

I also used to like Penny Arcade, but it's just kind of "meh" to me now. It's like the Mega64 of webcomics in that respect.

When I used to read Joystiq, I noticed that Brawl in the Family was usually good. There was one other one in their roundups that was decent, too, but I can't remember the name of it now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:23:18 PM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
I love Cyanide & Happiness.

http://www.explosm.net/comics/2751/
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline BullockDS

• TheMoonMan
  • Hunter in Training
  • I'll see you all at 3:15!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
-Cyanide and Happiness is definitely my favorite webcomic. It's so silly, simple, and twisted... and that's exactly what makes the whole thing work. Fuckin' classic.
-Perry Bible Fellowship is good fun as well for similar reasons as C&H, except cranking up the twistedness to 11. It's a shame the dude had to pull that bullshit of charging for strips we previously saw for free.
-Buttersafe is generally just plain ol' goofiness, but it's damn fun at that.
-I kinda like to read Brawl in the Family sometimes, though some are hit-and-miss with me; for the most part, however, I enjoy it, being a massive Nintentard.
-Gunshow Comics. That is all.
-I used to read Slightly Damned, but I stopped seriously following it last year, because holy shit, does it start to go nowhere from there (the story as a whole was pretty slow up to this point, but now it's just unbearable). I sometimes duck in to check up on it, but it's still insanely slow, even with updates twice a week now (especially due to many updates consisting of one-panel splashes that don't contribute to the story, but aren't asides either).
-I've recently started reading Culture Shock, and I think it's pretty good; it seems that the author knows how to pace his story just right (at least better than Slightly Damned). It also does the whole clashing cultures and time periods aspect cleverly, with a great mix of comedy and drama.
-I dunno if it counts, but The Oatmeal's stuff is always just amazing.

My Character (not drawn by me)

The free market punishes irresponsibility. Government rewards it. – Harry Browne

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 10:40:36 PM »
+1
I read lots of web comics before I log on here. It's like my morning routeen.

Here's a list of them:

The adventures of Dr. McNinja.
MisFile.
DrowTales - Moonless Age.
MegaTokyo.
Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire.
Spinnerette.
Exiern.
No Need For Bushido.
ZAP!
Cool Cat Studios.
Between Failures.
The Dreamland Chronicles.
MARRY ME.
Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki.
Manly Guys doing Manly things.
Blip.
The Lounge.
Grrl Power.
Underling Comic.
White Noise.
Girl Genius.

There have been others but some of them have never been continued while others have been finished.

I love Girl Genius too, man!

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 07:23:59 PM »
First web comic I ever read was Exploitation Now. Was so friggin stupid (but I liked it) at first, but near the end I could tell Scott (I think it was Scott) wanted to do something more serious. The strip took a much darker turn near the end of its run -- rape, homicide, operatives dressed in black, and tears. I was like, "Wow.... This is NOT the same comic I read last year." Then I followed MegaTokyo until it was published. And once in a while I still check in on Sinfest. I've always had a place in my heart for Sinfest, it's a cute series and very well done.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »
Exploitation Now... I haven't read that comic in years. I fell out of reading it due to a number of circumstances. Mainly that when my old PC was infected I had to Nuke & Pave the damned thing and I had forgotten what some of the web comics' names were. I think the other reason was that I thought they had stopped updating so I got tired of waiting for 'em.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »
It became some fantasy comic (which was fun read too), but the new comic didn't seem to mesh well because he'd toss in modern jokes with a medieval theme that didn't seem to work well to me. It wasn't like, um, I think it was LFG, the one with the necromancer that looks like a Sith Lord Assassin or something. :3
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 06:28:22 AM »

http://nedroid.com/2012/03/compizza/
The first comic I ever read, being 11 and newly christened to the internet, was That's My Sonic. And already I kind of wish death to my childhood self.

Now I read Nedroid, Gunshow Comic, Tiny Kitten Teeth, Prequel and Lackadaisy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:31:33 AM by Slayer »
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Tags:

anything