Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: This is what is wrong with Simon's Quest.  (Read 21641 times)

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
Re: This is what is wrong with Simon's Quest.
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »
I don't find it that farfetched. It's apparent that CVII didn't have anywhere near the polish that CVIII had. I happen to like Simon's Quest a lot, but it does feel sloppier than the other 2 NES games for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if it were ever revealed that the game was rushed quite a bit. Like Whip Her Snapper said, there could've been ideas or improvements that ended up on the cutting room floor due to time constraints.

Good call. There are graphics in the ROM image that are there more than once and not needed, while others like the unused zombie graphics are in there only one time. There are nine music tracks on this game, 3 bosses and very little in the way of diverse backgrounds. Though CV1 has less enemies there is better placement and movement routine. Plus it has 16 tracks and 6 bosses. CVIII 34 enemies 15 bosses 27 tracks. CVII is not a bad game. It has a lot of very innovative elements it just wasn't given the care it should have been given. I am not going to gripe about the day night transition being slow that added to the atmosphere (Ninja Gaiden one had a similar fade out load graphics operation, no complaints). The day night thing could have been more realistic with changing the pallette slowly over each hour passing.
If it could be done again.

CVIII graphics and platforming, CVI character movement routines and enemy placement, CVII puzzles, adventure and story.
You could mix the tracks as not a one of the tracks from these games are anything short of epic.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
There are nine music tracks on this game, 3 bosses and very little in the way of diverse backgrounds.
Lack of different backgrounds could have been the result of the size of the game. Besides, as I said many times before, there is only so much ways you can depict forest or lake.
Besides, CV2 was adventure oriented, not action oriented game, like CV1 and CV3. That's why enemies have simple movements and patterns. There are mere obstacles for player to avoid in his adventure, not the main focus of the gameplay.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
You know, ten years ago on this board, almost nobody would ever speak ill of Simon's Quest. It was accepted as a kick-ass game—which it is.

I kind of wonder if it's people who are more new to the series who aren't that favorable toward it. I'm not saying that all people who dislike it fit into that category, but it may explain the insurgence of SQ haters.

It's actually my second favorite of the NES games after the first one, and one of my top favorite games in the series.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
Lack of different backgrounds could have been the result of the size of the game. Besides, as I said many times before, there is only so much ways you can depict forest or lake.
Besides, CV2 was adventure oriented, not action oriented game, like CV1 and CV3. That's why enemies have simple movements and patterns. There are mere obstacles for player to avoid in his adventure, not the main focus of the game play.
I think Battle of Olympus had about four different forest backgrounds & GI Joe I am pretty sure had multiple forest interpretations too. There is nothing wrong with it being adventure oriented but a lot of adventure games had action elements in it that made it more challenging. The puzzles in this game were a good idea as was night and day, the mansions, the body parts etc. The game as was stated was probably rushed. Are there any complaints as to how difficult CVIII was who is not named AVGN? So leave the challenge in. I needed help to finish Simon's Quest and I beat that before CVI and I will tell you here and now CVI was more rewarding to play and beat.

You know, ten years ago on this board, almost nobody would ever speak ill of Simon's Quest. It was accepted as a kick-ass game—which it is.

I kind of wonder if it's people who are more new to the series who aren't that favorable toward it. I'm not saying that all people who dislike it fit into that category, but it may explain the insurgence of SQ haters.

It's actually my second favorite of the NES games after the first one, and one of my top favorite games in the series.
To this I say I may very well be (no joke) the oldest person in this forum and that is frightening. Spout out some of your ages and I will tell you if you are older than me or not. NAH don't do that too embarrassing. Just to be clear. This game is not bad. I would buy this for the soundtrack alone. The game is like others in the series, Dracula X, CV64, Judgement as it was not allowed the time to be more than what it is. I guess I am just a fan of the first game engine more so than this. However, because of the genius elements in this game I say it would have been cool to see them meshed with the first game's engine.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »

That could be, but speaking for myself, even when I was a kid I wasn't a huge fan of the game. The music was awesome, and night-time scared the piss out of me, but the townspeople confused me and I got stuck at the tornado wall before finally getting past it 10 years later.

Offline Orlox

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 07:50:11 AM »
My parents purchame me the game for christmas 89, I asked for CV1 but I've recieve SQ. My mother freak out when she saw the hangmans in the 1st mansion. It took me like 2 years before older dudes helped me to finish the game. For a french canadian kid it sucked because we had no translation for videogames and my parents are still very bad in english.
My father and I solve a big part of the game exepte the tornado.
Even today this is one of my favorite games and inspiration in my guitar playing, we play bloody tears in concert.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:07:42 PM by Orlox »
...And the wolves they are howling that sweet but haunted song

Tags:

anything