Who is the better Dracula?

Gabriel Belmont
9 (25.7%)
Mathias Cronquist
19 (54.3%)
I don't know. My mind was recently violated by a dark priest
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Who is the Better Dracula?  (Read 30514 times)

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
Comparing Mathias to Gabriel is like comparing Griffith to Guts,at least that's how I see it.  If you're familiar with Berserk, there's a lot of similarities between those characters .
Mathias is described as a genius tactician in the LOI prologue, but I doubt he would have survived at that time if he wasn't a good fighter. Maybe not as good as Leon, but  he could prolly kick ass. Griffith is pretty much the same.Except he's more selfish and he's also a rapist ;D.

Gab has been manipulated all the way, just like Guts, and they're both pretty strong. Maybe he can't wield a giant sword like the Dragon Slayer, but he's a Belmont. Enough said.

My point is we can't really say who's better, since we don't know Mathias that much, and because  both versions are good in their own way and don't have that much in common, besides the fact that in theory it's the same person, and they both lost their wives.

Just something I've been thinking about while reading the comments. It's also 3am in here, so I'm not thinking right  ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:36:06 PM by Odile Kuronuma »

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Who is the Better Dracula?
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »
Comparing Mathias to Gabriel is like comparing Griffith to Guts,at least that's how I see it.

Then who gets to be Casca? Elisabetha or Marie? It's a good comparison though.

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2011, 07:38:25 PM »
No one gets to be Caska i guess. Marie seems to be the closest, since Gab sacrificed everything for her, and he tried to bring her back, pretty much what Guts is doing by trying to fix Caska.

Also if Mathias could become a vampire and control Death thanks to the Crimson Stone,there's prolly a way for him to bring back Elizabetha as an undead.Wouldn't it make more sense if he tried  to be with his loved one, whether in life or death? Maybe he didn't love her that much  :P
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:48:58 PM by Odile Kuronuma »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2011, 07:46:02 PM »
Gabriel's a brawler, Mathias a tactician. Gabe doesn't really think things through, whereas Mathias thinks the ends justifies the means..

LoS-2 will really make or break how everyone sees Dracula in this timeline. I'm thinking we'll see more of Mathias' attitude in Gabriel-Drac anyway. It could go either way.

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
Gabriel's a brawler, Mathias a tactician. Gabe doesn't really think things through, whereas Mathias thinks the ends justifies the means..

LoS-2 will really make or break how everyone sees Dracula in this timeline. I'm thinking we'll see more of Mathias' attitude in Gabriel-Drac anyway. It could go either way.
Haha exactly like Guts and Griffith. So my comparison was good after all .

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2011, 10:11:12 AM »
I prefer Vlad Dracula to be Dracula.  Why?  BECAUSE HE'S F@*^%ing DRACULA! 

With the others it's "Well, how did he become Dracula?"
"Well *complicated origin story here*..."

With the main guy, "How did he become Dracula?"
"BY being F$%^#ing DRACULA!  He's always been Dracula!  Even if he wasn't a vampire he was Dracula!" 

I can't understand why anyone would want to make a NEW Dracula when we already have a perfectly good one.  It'd be like making a WWII game and giving the origin story of how Gunther Eichelberger became Hitler.  Why not just use the Hitler that's already there?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
Probably a timeline thing. You can cram more games into the past that way.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »
Can't wait for the next reboot in 2034.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2011, 11:35:55 AM »
For those that prefer the real-life Vlad Dracula, that's fine, go read a history book.

But for the fictional CASTLEVANIA franchise, well, it's been established since as early as The Castlevania Adventure that this Vlad Dracula was an ancient sorceror well before his IRL birth. The Japanese manual I believe stated he spent his early days summoning demons in his castle fortress, and that's how he's always been portrayed in the series (which is why by the time CVIII takes place, 1476 ((coincidentally the same year of real-life Vlad's death)), he's already several centuries old). So I see no problem with this different mythology for him, especially when you take into account what uzo said.

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »
Well, if you're already accepting that Dracula is much older and, you know, has that whole demon army thing, then is it really that much of a stretch to say that Vlad has been around longer than people thought? 

I don't see how that's LESS plausible than having other characters decide they want to change their name and adopt the identity of some other guy for no real good reason. 

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »
Usurp power maybe. In Dracula's case, he also went into hiding so it would make sense that he would change his identity a few times.

Offline Laughing skeleton

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: Who is the Better Dracula?
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2011, 06:54:08 AM »
I'll go with option three since i like the ancient sorceror identity from the classic castlevanias best.  This makes the battle with Dracula a frightening one because a confrontation with an impersonal adversary evokes the fear of the unknown.  Does my enemy even have a human aspect to him or am I facing the manifest visage of evil itself?
Nothing scares me, I'm a smart guy and I'll tell you one thing for certain: fear is irrational. Being the know-it-all I am, mocking foolish fears is an amusing pastime for me.  In fact there is no doubt in my mind that living in the modern world, free of all danger and uncertainty, I'll ever have to face my own death, which is after all the most basic and silly of all fears...

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
Classic Dracula?
I really hated the throwaway story in LoI as it also conflicts with canon anyways, the whole Mathias thing was stupid and it literally went nowhere.
What I Hate about LoI story is that its useless, IGA did a really good job making something that can be very important into something that was better off in a manual summary.
Besides, I find it impossible for the Belmont establishment to be 1000 years before the first slaying since Mathias Dissapeared form Transylvania for many centuries
Second, This story only somewhat builded up to one game, an arcade title that many people will not have the fortune to play.

Its sad that something useful like an origin story is pushed aside to this GREAT WAR OF 1999 that we all had to hear about in 4 games straight.
IGA can make some good games, but he seriously needs to overhaul his stories.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »
It's really hard to tell since we barely saw Gabriel as Dracula, but he seems like he'll be awesome. I guess I'll have to answer this when a LoS sequel comes out
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »
Classic Dracula?
I really hated the throwaway story in LoI
No more throwaway than the rest of the self contained games.

as it also conflicts with canon anyways,
How?

the whole Mathias thing was stupid and it literally went nowhere.
Huh. as if the other origins actually went anywhere either.

Besides, I find it impossible for the Belmont establishment to be 1000 years before the first slaying since Mathias Dissapeared form Transylvania for many centuries
what..? I dont get what you mean here. you mean you find it impossible for Belmonts to exist and NOT kill dracula for a few centuries? How? Remember that Dracula did not start his war gainst humanity until his second wife was killed under the accusation of witchcraft
Second, This story only somewhat builded up to one game, an arcade title that many people will not have the fortune to play.
What? it did? what game?

Its sad that something useful like an origin story is pushed aside to this GREAT WAR OF 1999 that we all had to hear about in 4 games straight.
Aria and Dawn are only 2 games, friend.

IGA can make some good games, but he seriously needs to overhaul his stories.
but ultimately, I have to agree a little bit.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags:

anything