Who is the better Dracula?

Gabriel Belmont
9 (25.7%)
Mathias Cronquist
19 (54.3%)
I don't know. My mind was recently violated by a dark priest
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Who is the Better Dracula?  (Read 30295 times)

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Who is the Better Dracula?
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
So, now that Resurrection is available, we can finally fully see Gabriel's transformation in to Dracula.  With that in mind, which one do you think is the better Dracula?  Do like LoI's Mathias or LoS's Gabriel?  I personally like Gabriel better.  He doesn't manipulate people and we can actually see that he can really fight when he was human.  Ok, so he gets manipulated by those around him, but Mathias never did anything himself.  He simply used everyone to get what he wanted without actually getting his hands dirty and we don't even know how well he can fight as a human.  The fact is that if you took away their powers and weapons, Gabriel would most certainly kick Mathias's ass in hand to hand combat.  Mathias may have a degree of intelligence, but that wouldn't save him from Gabriel sheer will power and combat skills.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:37 PM »
Mathias would probably manipulate Gabriel into doing his bidding without having to resort to hand-to-hand combat.
So, Mathias.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »
Spoilers abound in this post, so if you don't want them, don't read.

I like Gabriel because he is more relatable, and proved himself as a truly powerful hero of times past.

As you play LoS, you journey with Gabriel and personally witness his descent into darkness. He's a real tragic hero. He is brought along on this journey in the hopes that he might be able to resurrect his wife as a result. He is coaxed along and made to defeat the Lords of Shadow, and eventually Satan himself. He is forced into becoming a lord of shadow himself in order to finish the fight. He gives up everything, puts in his all... and the mask does nothing more than present an illusion of the dead being alive. He is betrayed by everyone around him, and finds himself to be used as a puppet for others at his own expense.

As if that weren't enough, defeating the lords allowed the Forgotten One to be released, so even after losing it all, Gabriel is called yet again to fight, his only motivation being the protection of mankind. The good that is still in him allows him to do this. He then is forced to remove that good and become a vampire himself in order to finish the job. He goes into the Forgotten One's realm with only one mission in mind. Kill the Forgotten One. He gets the job done, and his demonic VamPowers awaken. Before this fight, he refers to himself as a "dragon", and the FO his prey. And of course, during his first encounter, he says that classic line, "Enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"

With nothing left to return to, and no goodness left in him, he is cursed to wander the land for all eternity as a dark shell of his former self. He renames himself to Dracul, meaning "dragon", the title he gave himself before the final encounter with the FO.

I love it.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »
Mathias would probably manipulate Gabriel into doing his bidding without having to resort to hand-to-hand combat.
So, Mathias.
Great way to pick your argument, by creating an imaginary silly fight between not related characters, yay.

I can't pick yet, i somehow liked Mathias, I mean, the man was crazy. We've just witnessed the very very beginning of Dracula in LoS I need to know more about him AS Dracula to make out my mind

Everything comes full circle

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
Great way to pick your argument, by creating an imaginary silly fight between not related characters, yay.

The fact is that if you took away their powers and weapons, Gabriel would most certainly kick Mathias's ass in hand to hand combat.  Mathias may have a degree of intelligence, but that wouldn't save him from Gabriel sheer will power and combat skills.

Yes, damn you beingth-, I-I mean darkwzrd4!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:57:05 PM »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 12:07:24 AM »
I vote for Jason Isaacs because he should have been Dracula.

I liked Dracula better before all this origin crap though, so I guess Shaft has violated my mind and left only a copy of Castlevania III.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 12:56:46 AM »
Even if I haven't see Resurrection's end, I'll vote for Gabriel. His story is ten times better than Mathias' IMO.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 03:26:32 AM »
Gabriel w/o a doubt. I'll just repost my reasons from another thread....

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:45:38 AM by Vampire Killer »
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Vlad_TepeZ

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:56:40 AM »
Nice... How about a spoiler tag?

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 07:13:20 AM »
Mathias, as I've gone on about already elsewhere. He's the manipulative chessmaster of his tale, not a reactionary, reluctant protagonist who's little more than a victim of circumstance. He is of his own making. The motivation is clearer, the character's deeds more sensible in relation to what his role in the story is, and the end result more satisfying to me than Gabriel's murky journey through endless machinations, somehow ending up as Dracula in the end because the plot dictates it. Nothing else sure does.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »
I liked Dracula better before all this origin crap though, so I guess Shaft has violated my mind and left only a copy of Castlevania III.

This^^^^

Personally, from the two origins, I prefer Mathias one. I don´t like the idea that you are controlling a "hero" that willl become with the time in the main villian. But, sincerely, when I end LoI, and see the Mathias/Dracula origin, I dont get convinced a lot. But, I prefer it among the LoS one. But I too prefer the unknow origin (in videogames) of the classic CVs.

So, I don´t having another option. I will pick up the third one :'(.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline The Shanoa

• Awards
Re: Who is the Better Dracula?
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »

I also prefer Dracula in older Castlevanias - Where Dracula was Dracula. Not Mathias or Gabriel or Soma or part of Chaos or whatever the fuck he is in newer Castlevanias. History states that Vlad the Impaler was actually a person, not a soul or a Chaos, and he didn't turn into dragons or snowmen (the CV1 boss looks likes a yeti with wings) or flying goat man. LOL

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
I like Dracula to be evil, not some kind of tragic hero.Sure it's nice to learn about his motives, how he became a vampire, but other than that we shouldn't relate to him or  pity him. It makes him look almost too fragile. Plus I don't like this whole romantic vampire figure. It started with the Coppola movie, and it's been used too much not just in movies, but in video games. I want Dracula to be a real villain, not some kind of emo who becomes a vampire just because he lost his wife.
Still I prefer the LoI version to the LoS one. The LoS version is so wrong. Dracula CANNOT be a Belmont.Plus he got manipulated all the way, and it's so obvious .So I guess it's the second option....or my mind got violated by a dark priest yay.
I also prefer Dracula in older Castlevanias - Where Dracula was Dracula. Not Mathias or Gabriel or Soma or part of Chaos or whatever the fuck he is in newer Castlevanias. History states that Vlad the Impaler was actually a person, not a soul or a Chaos, and he didn't turn into dragons or snowmen (the CV1 boss looks likes a yeti with wings) or flying goat man. LOL
I agree. The historical figure, Vlad III the Impaler, was badass. He got kidnapped by the Turks when he was a kid ,  that's where he picked up his habit of impaling. Mathias Cronqvist prolly existed in real life. His name is kinda similar to Matthias Corvinus, a Hungarian king who lived around the same time as Vlad Tepes . 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:49:32 PM by Odile Kuronuma »

Offline The Shanoa

• Awards
Re: Who is the Better Dracula?
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »

some kind of emo who becomes a vampire just because he lost his wife
Totally agree.

The part of Dracula I like most was that he had nothing to do with the awful Twilight :D

Tags:

anything