Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586696 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2012, 07:13:09 PM »
Speaking about Metroid...

...I could have sworn I read somewhere that the original took some inspiration from "Aliens".

Oh, and I'm almost done replaying MP1. Next up is MP2Echoes. Hopefully, I actually beat Echoes this time and don't get put off by having to go back to everywhere I've been and track down those whatevers they make you look for later on in. Then I can finally go and play MP3. Hmmm... Maybe I'll tackle Other M again after I'm done with MPT. I really enjoyed Other M even if they screwed up a couple of details.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:16:43 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
I bought a nifty shelf for my retro-systems.
I had to re-do some of the wiring, but my analog signals got a lot cleaner, so I celebrated with an oldie but goodie:
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »
Sweet. I hope to remake that game some day. :D
"Stuff and things."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »
Just played through Wet. Loved the whole 70's movie feel they had going for it...I bought it for this fact alone, and enjoyed the gameplay a fair bit as well. Some enjoyable songs, too.

Also just finished Gears of War 3 campaign mode with my girlfriend. Still not sure if its ham-fisted brotasticness is more annoying, or more amusing, but the games are still fun to play at least.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Fofa

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:51 PM »
I've been blazing through Tales of the Abyss on my 3DS, and I'm actually at the final third. Curse you timed subevents!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »
I put down a payment on a white special edition PSP yesterday, so I'll be getting to my huge back log of PSP games in a couple of weeks. Anybody got any suggestions for must play titles?
"Stuff and things."

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
...I could have sworn I read somewhere that the original took some inspiration from "Aliens".
It does.  Ridley was possibly named after Ridley Scott.  The female heroine fighting aliens in outer space.  Metroids hatching out of eggs in Return of Samus.  The tense escape during a countdown to a big explosion that's featured in 3 of the 4 Alien movies and most Metroid games.  There are tons of similarities.  Go to http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_similarities_between_Metroid_and_Alien for the full scoop.

In other news, my new puppy enjoyed watching me kick Mother Brain's ass yesterday.  I'm going to work on training him to take down Dracula, once he learns to stop pooping on my floor.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »
I put down a payment on a white special edition PSP yesterday, so I'll be getting to my huge back log of PSP games in a couple of weeks. Anybody got any suggestions for must play titles?
DXC (duh), Maverick Hunter X, Duodecim, and Persona 1 and 2.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »
That reminds me I haven't downloaded gotten Persona 1 & 2 yet.
"Stuff and things."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »

If Metal Gear is your thing, Peace Walker (and Portable Ops too, I guess) is essential. The Capcom and SNK arcade collections are pretty nice, too, although they were also released on consoles. Haven't played much else that was great on the PSP besides DXC, though.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2012, 11:21:35 PM »
+1

If you can get past its super cutesy demeanor, Mega Man Powered Up is friggin' amazing. As good as MHX is, Powered Up does a lot more stuff that's different from the source material.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2012, 11:33:46 PM »
If you can get past its super cutesy demeanor, Mega Man Powered Up is friggin' amazing. As good as MHX is, Powered Up does a lot more stuff that's different from the source material.

Actually when I had a PSP previously I played this one forwards and backwards and it's the basis for my fan remake of MM1.
"Stuff and things."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2012, 08:54:47 AM »
One thing that really started to annoy me about Maverick Hunter X was that there's this footstep sound effect when you're walking. Why did they add that? I want to hear the music and the sound of my weapon, not be distracted by BOP BOP BOP BOP (or however it sounded, it's been a while). Little things like that....  >:(

Anyway, i'm still playing Ys 6. Having a bit of trouble with Cave Lake. I need to take a little break with something else.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
Anyone ever play Crystalis for NES? I started playing it again, it's so awesome. I've never beaten it, so now I'm going to
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline CrashDiary27

• Hunter in Training
  • game over
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »
crystalis is pretty rad. Right now Im playing MLB the show 12. That way I can live in a fantasy world where the cubs win...

Tags: