Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: DXC...the most beautiful CV?  (Read 7863 times)

mephistopheles46

DXC...the most beautiful CV?
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »
First off, I cannot stop playing the remade Rondo.  Having beaten each stage 10+ times, I can finally take my eyes off the gameplay and admire the backgrounds.  Not every level is A+, but more and more I'm seriously impressed by the presentation of the levels and what they've achieved.

Everything has such depth and nuance.  I love it. 

In my opinion, this surpasses any DS game, SotN (and I thought about saying this "out loud" before this moment) and the PS2 games. 

Is any one else in agreement?  I've played every game but Haunted Castle and Vampire Killer (MSX), and this remake is now my favorite CV (and I don't take that mantle lightly).

----------------

Also, has anyone else played the Ghosts N Goblins PSP remake?  I hear CAPCOM did a better job with graphics than Konami did.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:25:21 AM »
I haven't played PoR but watching the gameplay, i liked their death animations, maybe cuz its sprites that I'm impressed but who knows. The deaths animation in this game is only cool for the bosses. The others didn't really get me to notice.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 10:48:53 AM »
I think the remake is ok. Honestly I simply like Rondo better because it's "Rondo" and Ronda was not some other-castlevania.

Look at HOD they tried to mimic the SOTN effect, not that I don't like it, but Castlevanias are at their best when they are themselves and unique and not trying to immitate others.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »
I think the graphics are ok considering that it's for psp. Certainly it's not mind-blowing visually, but I hope the next generation CV be it for 360 or ps3 will be a visual masterpiece..

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 01:02:07 PM »
In Reply To #1

I'm almost in agreement with you. If not THE most beautiful, it's certainly near the top. I'm still staring at the backgrounds and I love the changes they've made. They've taken levels that bored me (Stage 4) and turned them into something that's visually engaging that makes you want to play thru it again and again.

Steve

Re: DXC...the most beautiful CV?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »
Blurry, low-res polygons are not my cup of tea, thank you.  Symphony is still the most gorgeous Castlevania game by far.

SymboliC

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 04:05:07 PM »

I agree 99% with the TC, the remaining 1% is the fact that I still love SOTN more than this.

The remake is very well done. I like the fact that they detailed even the sound effects, Medusa Heads now has a theme that lets you know they're there, and the hands that pull you down have scary moans!

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 05:08:15 PM »
First off, I cannot stop playing the remade Rondo.
_______________________________________ ______________

SymboliC

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »
In Reply To #8

A lot of minor things have been changed, like breakable walls, new obstacles, etc. Well, I wouldn't call them minor if you're someone who looks into details..

Some specific areas that seem pointless now have uses, like serving as a location for a hidden secret.

The area after the Harpies in Stage 7 has also been changed. But the most remake'd level was Stage 5'.

Offline Saner

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 12:50:49 PM »
LOI and COD has better graphics.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 07:37:22 PM »
glad to hear nothing major's been changed, I always love searching for breakable walls and the goodies they contain so that's a plus that they added more of those and expanding on the useless areas is a good idea. Finally was able to get down to my local gamestop and pick this one up, although my brother is borrowing my psp so I won't be able to play it till tomorrow.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline kevinski

• Vampire Hunter
  • Hunter in Training
    • kevinski.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 01:29:25 PM »
PoR easily had the most impressive special effects, but I'd say that SotN has the most pleasing overall appearance. DXC looks like crap, in my opinion, and - on a larger screen - would be far less tolerable. The boss' death animations are pretty bland. I honestly prefer sprites.
---
[ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Xbox Live | kevinski com ]

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 05:31:47 AM »
Por's special effects were just copies from dos, so it's nothing new. Sotn still beats it in term of some effects, due to its superior graphic engine. Opaque ugliness can't beat effects with additive blending effect applied to them in term of looks.

And dxc still beats the crap out of all of them. Why can't they make such pretty effects for 2d games? That's almost like downplaying the 2d genre, as in it's not capable of having nice looking graphics, so it's dying, because most of the new gen gamers look at graphics first, and 2d for the most part has ugly, flat effects.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:47:19 AM by Serio »

Max Power

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 09:49:51 AM »
To me, the visuals in this new version of Rondo are stuning. Although, I would have prefured the stair case leading up to Dracula's thron room from  SotN in the new Rondo. But that's neither here nor there.

The DS games couldn't hold a candle to these new graphics. This is the direction the new games should be heading into.

So yes, I agree. This is the most beautiful Castlevania.

Offline Holycross

• Apprentice
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 09:56:12 AM »
In Reply To #14

Is it really that good looking?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tags: