Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Chronicles Simon  (Read 46788 times)

Offline JayDominus

• Count Janus Dominus
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
While it is overall better than the original X6800 sprite, the Red/Purple hair is quite a baffling choice and doesn't seem fitting at all.

Now speaking of which, yeah, I also prefer Chronicles' sprite over the original X68000 sprite... except for the PINK hair. What the hell? It's red on the cover art, why is it pink in the game itself? It's Playstation, for crying out loud, color limitations are nonexistent, why pink?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:45:42 PM by JayDominus »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2012, 02:47:40 AM »
Now speaking of which, yeah, I also prefer Chronicles' sprite over the original X68000 sprite... except for the PINK hair. What the hell? It's red on the cover art, why is it pink in the game itself? It's Playstation, for crying out loud, color limitations are nonexistent, why pink?

Because it just wouldn't be a Castlevania without some inconsistent hair coloring.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2012, 03:28:45 AM »

I don't like the Chronicles design (fashion disaster), but Ayami had a good go at injecting something new into the character. 

The original CV box art still has so much magic about it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think the Chronicles look would be totally terrible under the brush of a lesser illustrator, but Ayami's usual brilliance serves to make it passable. Also agree that imho the best Simon Belmont is still the one from the cover of CV1.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:33:33 AM by Ratty »

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »
Man, even "Chronicles" Simon's gloves don't even make sense. What was Kojima thinking?

Offline kingu

• Dragon
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • You should have saying!
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
it's incredible that people just never realize what some design aspects actually are. the red is half of a tunic and the "boa" is fur for the tunic, not any different than the fur on the side of it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »
Man, even "Chronicles" Simon's gloves don't even make sense. What was Kojima thinking?

Stylization over practicality I think is one of her drawbacks. But every artist has their faults.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JayDominus

• Count Janus Dominus
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2012, 01:27:04 AM »
Couldn't have said it better myself. I think the Chronicles look would be totally terrible under the brush of a lesser illustrator, but Ayami's usual brilliance serves to make it passable. Also agree that imho the best Simon Belmont is still the one from the cover of CV1.
...or the other illustrator wouldn't go with "bishie BDSM lover" look at all, and simply modernized Simon a bit instead. Seriously, Kojima may be good at drawing stuff (even  though I'm not always happy with how she draws protagonists, her Dracula is always good), but she's not perfect and Chronicles Simon shows it.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2012, 09:41:57 AM »

How so? Just curious.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »
+1
How so? Just curious.

Look at his fingers.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2012, 09:45:17 AM »

Look at his fingers.

No fingers. That gives him greater manual dexterity as opposed to a full leather gauntlet. I think it makes sense since as a vampire hunter you have to be fast to battle unnaturally quick adversaries.
In general it makes sense that most Belmonts don't wear heavy armor since they often fight enemies that can tear through armor like it was paper.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »
yeah I actually really like the gloves... thats it tho

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Chronicles Simon
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2012, 06:50:15 AM »
He looks like he's into S&M....

Seriously hate the design. Some designs I hated which is odd because that person is such a great artist.

Isaac comes to mind....w...t....f....

Symphony of the night still has my favorite Artwork/character designs of all..

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »
I dig the red hair. Makes him look unique compared to most other belmonts who are invariably blonde or brown haired.

except for Juste, who has white hair.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
I dig the red hair. Makes him look unique compared to most other belmonts who are invariably blonde or brown haired.

except for Juste, who has white hair.

I never liked that. Red hair is a recessive trait and I can buy that Simon might be the only Belmont in the line to face Dracula with it showing up. But long white hair? It doesn't make any sense. It was obviously done to make Juste look more like Alucard. But Alucard only had long white hair because he was a half-Vampire (the human half showing in the whiteness) who had been asleep in his coffin for so long while his hair still grew. I guess it would sort of make sense if the later Belmonts were descended from Dracula as I like to think in my personal canon. But in IGA's own timeline they're not, I guess that's a hole he tried to plug up by making Leon a blonde/a bit Meg Ryan-ish.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »
Actually Alucard's hair is light-blonde; it's a misconception that it's white.

Tags:

anything