Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A few queries regarding the December sprite contest  (Read 11838 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: A few queries regarding the December sprite contest
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »
Thanks guys, these comments mean a lot to me :D
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »
I suggested the complete meal as a way to add a little depth to the contest. Food items are so incredibly small and easy to make, you'd figure doing a few would be nice. To tie them together, you use the meal theme.

Beyond that we need to discuss what size though. Normal CV item inventory icons are 16x16 I believe. I think that would be reasonable, and help make them faster to create. Castlevania has rarely ever exceeded that size for items, even in the classic games.

The icons in game also do not use an excess of 16 colors, which is very reasonable at that size as well. I would like to see that as one of the rules. Color management is a very very key component to style and art in general, especially pixel art. To be explicit, that means 16 colors per each individual food item sprite.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:04:06 AM by uzo »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »
That's more than enough colors at that scale. I second uzo's proposals.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »
Ditto, Im only against 16x16  size. In Rondo we couldn't find bigger foods?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »
That was one of the very few exceptions. You could indeed find a secret giant wall meat.

I'm referring more to the item inventory icons you see in the later games though, which are all 16x16.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
Ah. I was figuring we'd be making the itemdrop versions of the food, not their icons.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
Regarding the exploration titles they're one in the same, with the exception of SotN I believe.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
SotN was the one I was envisioning, given its plethora of fully-plated meal options.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »
Now I remember that a giant Turkey saved uzo in his livestream against SotN's Dracula... See uzo? You owe one to these giant foods! :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
The main reason I'm more for having the ability to do a single item is because I'm gonna be a noob when I pick it up and give it a try.  If I don't get started right at the beginning of Dec., I'll be starting when my current online class ends and I have much more time -- the 18th.  Although, my reason for liking the single item is mainly the noob stuff and not as much the time constraint.

And I was imagining "the sky is the limit" in a sense, remembering the seemingly endless list of foods you could get in SotN...but I'm not sure I know what the difference is between itemdrop versions or their icons?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 05:02:32 PM »
And I was imagining "the sky is the limit" in a sense, remembering the seemingly endless list of foods you could get in SotN...but I'm not sure I know what the difference is between itemdrop versions or their icons?

Here some examples:

Icons:

Drops:

Notice that some are strange, "mini" versions of the real thing. Ok maybe not strange, but these bigger are so better looking.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:04:15 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 04:47:34 AM »
I personally prefer the item drop editions because they foods just look prettier with more details.
I'll add the 16 colors per food item requirement.

So, what's the final maximum size?
Since we're doing a free for all, may I suggest a maximum amount of foods per submitter? We don't want to cram the entire thread with a plethora of foodstuffs, right? Plus, that would make the ones creating the sprites devote more time and effort for polishing.
And as a little add on work for the spriters, they have to make a write-up of the item description since I love reading those.

Lelygax has been added to the judges.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 05:35:38 AM »
I think the limit should be around 3 items, 5 tops.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 04:21:24 AM »
What is the final maximum size per food item?

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 06:36:51 AM »
What is the final maximum size per food item?

I find 64 X 29 pixels to be a good size. I have a roasted pig for Vamprotector that size and it fit's well with the smaller sized foods really well.

It also works great for a palette of foods.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:40:03 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Tags: