Poll

Vamprotector Powerups Poll: Who shall get first place?

1st Place: Jop
2 (33.3%)
1st Place: VladCT
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 31, 2015, 04:37:04 AM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: January 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest- Vamprotector Powerups  (Read 11190 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

Duration:From now until January 29th.

Deadline for submissions: January29th (11:59 PM PST)

Judgement:by tribunal from January 29th to January 31st at midnight and winners announced on the morning of February 1st (ore earlier if the judges are already done)

Volunteer Judges: Darkmanx_429; theANdROId; To Be Announced

Theme: Create original Castlevania x Contra fused powerups;

Prizes:Award medals for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. The 1st Place winning entry will also be featured in my fan-game Vamprotector and the winner will have the option of designing other ones, if they choose to do so.

Guidelines for Participants:
-Provide your sprite in 1x and 2x zoom at least.
-Contestants may submit up to 5 entries and each one will be evaluated individually.
-Must have a write-up of the description of each item submitted (can be funny/punny or just plain ol' serious)
-Contestants may update their entries freely before the submission deadline.
-You may withdraw any entry at any time before the judgement begins.

Guidelines for Judges:
-Judgement will use a point system.
-4 points awarded for your first place choice.
-2 points awarded for your second place choice.
-1 point for your third place choice.
-When posting your scores write up an explanation/critique of your judgement.
-Additional rounds of judgement will be used for tie breakers.
-Judges cannot participate in the contest.
-There will be a poll to vote for the most popular sprite and this popular vote would serve as an extra judge.

No color restrictions.
Animation is optional.
Minimum pixel size is 26 X 26.
Maximum pixel size is 32 X 32.
The screen size that I am working from is 320 X 240 pixels.
Remember it's fused Castlevania X Contra Powerup. 

Here is one of the examples that I have in play:

Be sure that you guys check my thread for the feel and theme of Vamprotector. Here is an older vid of the game:

Vamprotector PC Release Preview Trailer

Remember it's Action Oriented more to Rondo of Blood/SCV4 gameplay not so much to the SOTN exploration. But it also a Contra title!

If you have any inquires about the plot of the game to put towards your design then you can post them here and I will answer them.

FOR PEOPLE NEEDING IDEAS, DOWNLOAD MY "VAMPROTECTOR FUSIONS STYSTEM" PDF Right under my first post.

Entries:(hehehehe, will add stuff once poeple say what they've done is final)

VladCT:

Bullet Tip (Vamprotector version): Imbues the whip with the ability to shoot fireballs by channeling the soul of Christopher Belmont.

Wind Charm: Grants an aura drawn from the winds and enhances your jump height.

Jop:
Bird Power or Feather Power:
(click to show/hide)
Cat Power or Fur Power:
(click to show/hide)
Dragon Power or Scale Power:
(click to show/hide)
Turtle Power or Shell Power:
(click to show/hide)

Death Power or Scythe Power:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:25:42 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: January 2014 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest- Vamprotector Powerups
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 03:04:13 AM »
Yellow fish.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post a list of what powerups you already have in (sprites too if possible)? That way there's less chance of a too-similar entry being submitted in vain, and we'd have a better shot (snicker) of coming up with one to balance with what you already have in place.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
Re: January 2014 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest- Vamprotector Powerups
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »
Yellow fish.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post a list of what powerups you already have in (sprites too if possible)? That way there's less chance of a too-similar entry being submitted in vain, and we'd have a better shot (snicker) of coming up with one to balance with what you already have in place.

There's an example in the first post bro.  To be honest it's pretty open dude. Actually I don't have alot to show for the actual fused power up sprites yet. Fused powerups are supposed to have a multitude of effects the players can take advantage of, such as item fusion to create special whips, stat effects,  or just fun ones that don't really effect the gameplay, but are a fun distraction. I'll post my Fusion list, if it will help you guys!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:13:40 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: January 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest- Vamprotector Powerups
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:54:14 AM »
Any works in progress from anyone or is it too early?

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 05:18:51 AM »
To be honest, I think they might be having the same problem as I am, that is drawing up total blanks. Sorry.
EDIT: Never mind, I think I might have an idea for one power up now. How the heck did Bullet Tip slip my mind?

EDIT2: And here we are. Tell me if the animation is a bit iffy since this is my first time animating it on my own and all.

Bullet Tip (Vamprotector version): Imbues the whip with the ability to shoot fireballs by channeling the soul of Christopher Belmont.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:05:14 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:02:51 AM »
To be honest, I think they might be having the same problem as I am, that is drawing up total blanks. Sorry.
EDIT: Never mind, I think I might have an idea for one power up now. How the heck did Bullet Tip slip my mind?

EDIT2: And here we are. Tell me if the animation is a bit iffy since this is my first time animating it on my own and all.

That is super neat!

For anyone drawing blanks be sure to checkout my Vamprotector Fusion Systems PDF. I have some descriptions on there that could help you out!

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 05:06:27 PM »
Come on guys, we need at least two more people competing here. :V
By the way, try looking at power-up items and relics from other Castlevania games too for inspiration.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:44:45 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 08:45:49 PM »
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do things, honestly.

It mostly stems from ignorance, as I haven't followed the project as much as I probably should have, so how exactly the weapon system works is confusing. And since I'm at work at present - and can be called away at any moment - I don't have the time to read through twenty-seven pages' worth of content.

Can the powerups be for either of the weapons, and/or combinations of the two?

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »
The doc's just 3 pages long actually, and I think you can just go for the ones that are marked "to be announced" for an easier time like I did.
^^

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »
Reading through that now, actually, since guest traffic's at its usual standstill for this time of night.

I actually had a couple of ideas involving the Sacred Fist and Torpor Crystal, but getting them to complement the game well has been the challenge.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 05:52:22 AM »
Wait, I just realized something. It's stated that the minimum is 26x26, yet the example is 26x18. Is this an oversight or do I have to redo my submission (which I might have to anyway since it's actually 26x16)?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 05:55:45 AM by VladCT »
^^

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
Wait, I just realized something. It's stated that the minimum is 26x26, yet the example is 26x18. Is this an oversight or do I have to redo my submission (which I might have to anyway since it's actually 26x16)?

Nan dude 26 X 26 give or take. It's fine and more importantly it looks good.

Reading through that now, actually, since guest traffic's at its usual standstill for this time of night.

I actually had a couple of ideas involving the Sacred Fist and Torpor Crystal, but getting them to complement the game well has been the challenge.

Which is the main point of this month's contest. Tried to change it up a lil bit for you guys to think outside of the box. That idea you mentioned sounds very interesting....

The doc's just 3 pages long actually, and I think you can just go for the ones that are marked "to be announced" for an easier time like I did.

Yep. This.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do things, honestly.

It mostly stems from ignorance, as I haven't followed the project as much as I probably should have, so how exactly the weapon system works is confusing. And since I'm at work at present - and can be called away at any moment - I don't have the time to read through twenty-seven pages' worth of content.

Can the powerups be for either of the weapons, and/or combinations of the two?

The powerups can be for either gun or whip modes or both.

Combinations are welcomed!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:54:29 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »
I still dont know what the f... im doing and read the 3 page of the doc but I dont understand a lot of things and dont know why so I decide to show what I make and if there is some problem well just stay and think if can fix it XD

Well Here is:
(click to show/hide)
Cat Power or Fur Power:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

The gifs its only to show how I think the attack looks but not have to be the final version, I make all that quickly because I think only need to judge the powerups so remember the gifs is only in case you dont understand what I say in the description and I use Desmond only because I was working with him.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »
I still dont know what the f... im doing and read the 3 page of the doc but I dont understand a lot of things and dont know why so I decide to show what I make and if there is some problem well just stay and think if can fix it XD

Well Here is:
(click to show/hide)
Cat Power or Fur Power:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

The gifs its only to show how I think the attack looks but not have to be the final version, I make all that quickly because I think only need to judge the powerups so remember the gifs is only in case you dont understand what I say in the description and I use Desmond only because I was working with him.

These are great! Maria would be proud!

I will post these as your entry unless you come with a "Final" updated entry.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:52:10 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 04:31:39 AM »
Okey, im going to edit the post if I need to edit something or come with the 5th idea.

By the way who will be the 3rd Judge? or its a secret?

Tags: