Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Castlevania Season  (Read 32118 times)

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2021, 01:58:08 PM »
I just wonder how revolution-centric the series will be and how much shoehorning will take place. With the first 3 seasons focusing a lot on the theme of religious and cult madness(for the lack of a better term) I don't think they picked Paris(in the time of a revolution no less) on a whim. And it's hard to guess how much characters they'll even retain from the games. I would like to see how they'd handle Orlox and Shaft, but with the way the writters meddle with the canon it's very hard to say.

But hey, we'll get animated Maria, so at least Waffle's gonna be all giddy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 05:23:11 PM by Holy Diver »
Gotta get away

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2021, 06:57:38 PM »
+1
rooting for vampire Marie Antoinette

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2021, 10:38:17 PM »
I wonder if we’ll start with child Maria or start directly with Adult Maria.  Maybe with a little flashback here and there from her childhood.  I suppose Richter probably won’t end up saving four damsels this time, but they might be turned into interesting characters.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2021, 11:15:39 PM »
Why the French revolution? From what I could gather the French reign of terror, which followed the revolution, was far worse in terms of mindless bloodshed. Almost sounds like a missed opportunity there.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2021, 06:11:37 AM »
rooting for vampire Marie Antoinette

Or how about the Headhunter from Aria of Sorrow.  or is that the same thing?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 08:22:58 AM by Reinhart77 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2021, 10:40:23 AM »
Or how about the Headhunter from Aria of Sorrow.  or is that the same thing?

It is if you've ever seen the Return to Oz movie. I'm sure that's where the Headhunter came from.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2021, 03:44:20 PM »
+1
dang they are really clinging to that "Renard" surname lmao

can't wait to see all those guillotines turning into Guillotiners because "they're possessed" or something

Also, the new writer is Clive Bradley. IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0975294/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 01:24:44 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2021, 05:57:49 PM »
How do you think they'll characterize Richter? They could make him a famous respected badass with a lot of influence or a spoiled dandy who'd rather have nothing to do with the family business. Both could lead to him being manipulated by Shaft, if they go that route.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »
How do you think they'll characterize Richter? They could make him a famous respected badass with a lot of influence or a spoiled dandy who'd rather have nothing to do with the family business. Both could lead to him being manipulated by Shaft, if they go that route.

I suspect they'll follow his plotline a great deal closer than they did Trevor or CVIII in general, simply because people are MUCH more aware of Richter's story than of CVIII. So, I do believe they're doing the Shaft manipulation bit (if someone doesn't think Shaft's name is dumb, that is). I only hope they don't pull the "cynical hero" again, like every single character on the rest of this show is.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:32:39 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2021, 07:20:23 PM »
(if someone doesn't think Shaft's name is dumb, that is).

Watch out, Richter Belmont!

I only hope they don't pull the "cynical hero" again, like every single character on the rest of this show is.

Hard agree. Everyone cussed a fuck ton, made self deprecating jokes, and was always quick witted. Comedy could come from anywhere else but Richter really wasn't the type to crack a lot of jokes.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: New Castlevania Season
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2021, 10:54:44 PM »
I suspect they'll follow his plotline a great deal closer than they did Trevor or CVIII in general, simply because people are MUCH more aware of Richter's story than of CVIII.

I dunno about that. I don't remember SOTN or Rondo of blood taking place in France during the french revolution so they aren't exactly off to a good start as far as accuracy goes.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2021, 06:04:01 AM »
It’s going to be loosely based off of RoB. They’re just using some of the characters, the plot is most likely going to be original

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2021, 07:35:49 AM »
The way the show ended doesn't lend itself for a more accurate adaptation either. That being said, RoB happens a few years after the French Revolution, so at least it's not that far off

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2021, 09:17:22 AM »
I dunno about that. I don't remember SOTN or Rondo of blood taking place in France during the french revolution so they aren't exactly off to a good start as far as accuracy goes.
I mean doesn't rondo take place in 1792? That would place it right smack in the middle of the French Revolutionary period.

So there's little "why" to be had. Times of great upheaval are I feel, underrated points of interest for stuff like this, because there's already a lot of chaos and bloodshed going around that make for a good backdrop to a vampire plot. It's why I think Bloodlines and PoR are interesting tonally, with their WW1/WW2 settings (though I tend to feel POR vastly underutilized it)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:22:50 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2021, 09:42:34 AM »
It's why I think Bloodlines and PoR are interesting tonally, with their WW1/WW2 settings (though I tend to feel POR vastly underutilized it)

Agreed. Outside of the story backdrop we see virtually no evidence of WW2 aesthetics anywhere in or near the castle. No abandoned howitzers, troop transports, or tanks. No discarded weapons, clothing, nor even swastika flags or banners, which by 1944 would have been almost everywhere in Europe at that time. We do however see some soldiers turned to stone statues by Medusa in one of the final four paintings but that's stretching things a bit in my mind as it was a painting and not in the real world environment. You can get a uniform armor piece from Vincent's shop but again, it's not convincing enough for me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:00:30 AM by X »

Tags: