Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Halloween! 2013  (Read 27705 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
Somebody (I forget) was disappointed last year when I didn't go through with this, so here we are.

I'll probably make the attempt for a better picture closer to holiday.

Nice! Are you going to add some white makeup to? Looks pretty cool already. Just try not to trip while you're hopping all night!

For those in the US here's a very Halloween-y episode of a classic 90s anime. Funny but creepy, one of the best in the series even if it is technically a filler.

Slayers NEXT (SUB) - 15 - A Big Crash? The Battle at Artemay Tower?

PS - The only setup you need for this episode is that all the characters are looking for a magical macguffin named the Claire Bible for various reasons.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:30:37 PM by Ratty »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »
Anyone else looking forward to this?
Hellsing 4 Preview: "Interrogations"
(Yes, it's the abridged series.)
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2013, 10:56:36 PM »
Nah, at first I thought the Hellsing abridged type stuff was pretty funny. But as I've thought about it more over the years it seems like, where the manga and OVAs are concerned at least, Hellsing is so over the top that making fun of the sillier aspects of it is kinda like parodying something that's already a comedy. It's just a comedy with lots of traumatic violence, action, blood and death.

As for my Halloween festivities I've been rereading the old Tomb of Dracula comic, which is great because it's one of the last big interpretations of Dracula as an evil, conceited and self-serving monster. Before he started to become a more straightforward sympathetic sex symbol in the post-Hammer era. Also contemplating marathons of the old 1940s Mummy Movies and/or Hellsing Ultimate.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:08:46 PM by Ratty »

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »
So what's everyone doing for Halloween? I imagine most plans are more concrete by now. I also realized we forgot to link this AVGN Halloween episode earlier.
Ghosts N' Goblins - Angry Video Game Nerd

Personally I made a Jack'O Lantern and have the seeds in the fridge planning to bake them soon. Marathoned Universal's "... of the Mummy" movies, Hand, Tomb Ghost and Curse. Good goofy fun, especially love hammy "no-really-I've-got-a-Fez-hat-I'm-Egyptian" John Carradine in Ghost, and how the Mummy sort of wins in that one.

Also watched Dragonball: Sleeping Princess in Hidden Castle for the first time and I definitely get a Castlevania feel from this 1987 flick, wherein Goku and a newly introduced Krillin travel to the castle of the vampiric Count Lucifer and his monster army. Any film that contains the line "They look like flying monsters with machine guns!" is probably worth watching. And this one had some great funny moments that make me wish I'd gotten to see the original Dragonball rather than the shark-jumping Z series as a kid.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »
If I dress up this year I'm going to wrap myself in wrapping paper and tape a sign to me saying To:Women From:God

Offline Zannibal

• Sir Overlod Zannibal
  • Hunter in Training
  • I walk by the moonlit graves, I'm home...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »
Happy Halloween ;D

I made a little cover for fun;

This is Halloween metal cover

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »
+1
This is technically late, but this picture doesn't do the makeup much justice.

I've had this damn thing on for nearly ten hours now (hooray for being the only one to do anything at work!). I'm amazed it's still looking any kind of decent. And shit picture of me is shit.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
I had a gig tonight, but the most Halloween-ish thing I've done is play Splatterhouse. I started playing the reboot a few days ago in honor of Halloween, but tonight I played some of the original. Love those games, but man are they difficult.

Unfortunately I think I'm going out to a bar now. Normally I'd be all over it, but I have to pick up my girl and my friends and it's rainy and not very nice out. Lol, it's bad but I'd rather be in playing Splatterhouse or Dracula X Chronicles. xD

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
My friends all kind of bailed on me and didn't show up, so I feel a bit shitty and not so festive.

Oh well, a Tim and Eric special is recorded on the DVR. Think I'll go check that out.

Love those games, but man are they difficult.

I always thought the original arcade game was difficult until I familiarized myself with and mastered the TG16 version. From there, the arcade version got a lot easier and I can beat it pretty easily. Good to build yourself up.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:42:43 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2013, 01:49:47 AM »
I cuddled and watched some movies. That was my Halloween.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2013, 03:16:41 AM »
Just ended my October/Fall Horrorthon with James Rolfe's commentary on Night of the Living Dead. Fun to listen to, and informative. I'd be down for him doing more of these, and maybe getting Mike Matei along for something he's knowledgeable on.

That makes this the final October Horrorthon 2013 list (again, with the ones I actually watched in September being before the break) with my ratings and whether or not I've seen them before (with "RW" signifying rewatch):

The Blair Witch Project - 4/5 RW
Pumpkinhead - 4/5 RW
Sledgehammer - 1/5 (but strangely enticing)
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - 4/5
The Deader the Better - 3.5/5
House of 1000 Corpses - 3.5/5 RW
Sledgehammer - 3/5 RW (better with company)
Street Trash - 4/5 RW
The Thing (2011) - 3/5
Halloween (1978) - 5/5 RW
Halloween II (2009) - 1/5 (manages to be even worse than the first in the reboot series)

Dracula (1931) - 3.5/5 RW (both with and without Philip Glass score)
Psycho (1960) - 4.5/5 RW
Frankenstein (1931) - 4/5 RW
Black Sabbath (original Italian cut) - 5/5 RW
Re-Animator (Integral Version, which fuses together the unrated director's cut and the footage shot for the R-rated cut) - 4/5 (with the unrated cut by itself being 5/5)
The Manson Family (twice—once with commentary) - 4/5 RW
Zombie - 4.5/5 RW
Corruption - 4/5
FleshEater - 2/5 RW
Dead Alive - 5/5 RW
Bad Biology - 4/5 RW
Mother of Tears: The Third Mother - 2/5 RW
Tenebrae - 4.5/5 RW
The Return of the Living Dead (with original theatrical audio) - 5/5 RW
More Brains! A Return to the Living Dead (documentary) - 4/5
Night of the Living Dead (twice—once with Rolfe commentary) - 4.5/5 RW
Basket Case - 4.5/5 RW
Basket Case 2 - 3.5/5 RW
Basket Case 3: The Progeny - 3.5/5 RW

Basket Case 3 - choke scene

Oh, and Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories, which had me all giggly the entire half-hour. Apparently it's been greenlit for its own series and not just a special. Can't wait.

Here's a couple shots of my jack-o'-lantern.

Which I allowed my sister to smash apart at the end of the day.

I should have asked her if it was cathartic.

American Movie Episode

Wore my Hausu shirt today.

Didn't do much besides work and catch up a little on lost sleep but got to chill for a bit as well.

Right. Till next year.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2013, 07:14:15 AM »
I read Carmilla, which I thought was actually a better story than Dracula until the part with the General telling his tale. So that you have a memoir within a memoir, then a recounted legend within a memoir in a memoir. It was still pretty good. Surprised there's not been more movie adaptations, considering that it's a vampire story about lesbianism. I would have thought exploitation filmmakers would be all over it.

Also beat another Castlevania (HoD) last night, bringing the number of them I've played through this October up to 5. Surprised to find that the majority of the stuff I watched on Halloween and the day before wasn't really gory at all, mostly just cartoons I remember enjoying (on the down low of course) during my tween years like Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island, which holds up very well. Also Ernest Scared Stupid, which I think rivals Goes to Camp for the title of best in the series.

Glad to see most had if not perfect still enjoyable Halloweens this year :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:24:50 AM by Ratty »

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »
So, my calves are on fire.

My friend got stuck with the closing shift at work, so I hopped on over to Universal CityWalk. A lot of Chinese/Korean tourists took pictures with me—made me feel special.

(I'm pretty sure everyone else just assumed I was just in a racist outfit though.)

Forewarning: From here on, I look like I'm enamoured with myself. So, like, if you didn't like me before for any reason, uh... I apologize for this.

(click to show/hide)

This was my first time applying makeup, so yeah, there's that (glowed in the dark, too).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:29:40 AM by Lashen »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
Nice costume! Especially like the picture in front of the sign, reminds me a bit of the chase scene from Robo Vampire.

Would you like me to delete that accidental second message?

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »

I always thought the original arcade game was difficult until I familiarized myself with and mastered the TG16 version. From there, the arcade version got a lot easier and I can beat it pretty easily. Good to build yourself up.

I've done that actually, but I still get beasted once I get to level 5. Man that level's tough. It's kinda like the Classicvanias in that you need to figure out what the best thing to do at a given moment is, but I guess I just haven't gotten to that point in the latter levels I guess.

Tags: