Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Metroid Other M" Review Wackiness *No Spoilers!*  (Read 22300 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
"Metroid Other M" Review Wackiness *No Spoilers!*
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:00:56 PM »
Metroid Other M is garnering some of the most wildly mixed reviews in recent memory. Some are saying very good to near-perfect, while others are crying below average and even "sexist." I can only imagine that there might be a lot of subjectivity in the experience, and has to do a lot with people's perceptions of things like "What defines Metroid," "What kind of person is Samus," and "Where can Metroid expand on its formula."

Personally, I've always saw Samus as a loner/emotionally-scarred warrior with a maternal side, so if that's bugging people, it's not going to bug me. (We saw this as early as Metroid II when she spared the baby, and again when she spoke nostalgically of Adam in Fusion. Even Metroid Prime 3 showed us a vulnerable Samus). Moreover, as far as design, I think this was the right time to transition. After four games, the 1st-person-centric gameplay of the Prime series ran its course. Bringing back the 3rd-person option (outside the Morph Ball) is, at at the very least, one thing I've been desiring since finishing Metroid Prime 1, and even as far back as Samus' appearance in the original Super Smash Bros on N64. I'm not one of those fans who says it must be in 2D, as I feel that's limiting just like 1st-person is; I wanted a 3rd person 3D Metroid, and I'll at least have the satisfaction of that being given a try if nothing else. I haven't played the game yet, and it is likely that a more perfect blending of Metroid Prime 1 and Other M is needed in Metroid's future, but I'm pleased Nintendo took this bold risk. Unfortunately, as I pre-ordered online, I won't get to play my copy of the game until an additional week out.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:03:17 PM by RichterB »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Re: "Metroid Other M" Review Wackiness *No Spoilers!*
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:22:19 PM »
whys everyone so anti fp or anti 3rdp? You do realize anythin that can be done in 3rd can be done in first its just a different view of the same thing... Its just the developers dont put the effort in to make it work that way

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:11:51 AM »
I would really like to see Nintendo pull off a 2.5D Metroid game. Metroid: Other M is almost here where I live and I'll scoop that game up along with LoS too.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »
I'll be picking it up tomorrow! :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:44:08 PM »
Other M is an insult to the Metroid story because it goes out of the way to

*No Spoilers!*

Damn.

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »
Amazon says it will be arriving Saturday at the latest. It sounds like a love-it-or-hate-it game, and I hope I'm one of the people that loves it.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
Ive got it but havent played it yet *shakes fist at minecraft*

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
I would really like to see Nintendo pull off a 2.5D Metroid game.

Yeah, they should just buy/borrow/steal whatever engine Shadow Complex uses and just make a Metroid game. It would be fab!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 08:49:59 PM »
Beat it with 100% completion.  Huzzah for staying up ridiculously late and swearing at the screen!
When you beat it, you unlock "Theatre Mode", at which you can 'view' the game cutscenes and short boss gameplay vids, consecutively, which makes it just as long as a feature-length movie.

My nephew and I 'watched' "Metroid: Other M" as a result, hahahaha!

EDIT:
Also, great game. :)
I don't mind that Samus talks.  She seems more 'human' now, as a result.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
you beat it already!? goddamn what is it like CODMW2 single player type length?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 10:59:34 PM »
No I put in 12 hours.
16 to get 100 percent.

I just, y'know.... slept less, that's all.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »
Played about 2 hours today. Basically like seeing Metroid in 3D come to life the way many of us imagined it would prior to Prime (no disrespect to Prime's own brand of excellence). I'm pleased so far. It has room to grow, and it has some quirks, but the critics lost their minds on this one. This is definitely, easily Metroid-esque (and Samus' portrayal makes sense so far). I would say it's like a mixture of Fusion and Zero Mission--but expanded by being in 3D. And speaking of Fusion, the story and characters are actually engaging me a lot more than in Fusion. More spoiler-free thoughts to come as the game goes on...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:30:51 AM by RichterB »

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 11:40:55 AM »
I got it last night, beat it earlier this morning.
Outside of the disappointing finale, I liked the story a lot.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »

That should be vague enough.

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »
Some have suggested it's PTSD, like Gray Voice said in the (canon) manga. It's in reference to what happens in the first few chapters.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:37:12 PM by RegalX7 »

Tags:

anything