Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Metroid Other M" Review Wackiness *No Spoilers!*  (Read 22274 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: "Metroid Other M" Review Wackiness *No Spoilers!*
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 10:59:07 PM »
I don't like to rush through these kinds of games. I try to get as much out of the environments as I can. So, anyway, about 5 hours in, I think. For what the game is, I would like more catchy music here and there, and more "new" that isn't related to the change of gameplay/camera perspective. This game is definitely in the vein of Fusion--There's still plenty of exploration and puzzles to do, but the exploration is designed to push you in a direction so far. If you rush in that direction like they want, you miss A LOT of hidden stuff, though. By slowing down the pace, I've caught a number of cool secrets. I'd prefer something more open, but the game does work, regardless. There are moments that feel very much like I am playing Prime 1 or Super Metroid in 3rd person 3D. ...It may be a bit too familiar... But it's still a great game and is not blemishing Metroid by any means as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »
Some have suggested it's PTSD

um I don't think anybody is doubting that Samus's symptoms match that diagnosis.  The problem is she's been fighting Ridley for 24 fucking years and has never shown susceptibility to it before.

like Gray Voice said in the (canon) manga. It's in reference to what happens in the first few chapters.

Just because some obscure side story did something retarded first, it doesn't make a major game doing the same retarded thing any more acceptable.

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 09:05:45 AM »
I agree it was a pretty silly scene, I'm just saying that, given the fact that this was intended to be "a look into Samus's character," they wanted to make a reference to what Ridley did to her as a child. Again, it was dumb, but I think that's the context we're supposed to look at it in.
I wouldn't call the manga a side-story though, since it explains how Mother Brain came to be, how Samus lost her parents, how Ridley always comes back, everything to do with Adam, basically everything pre-first game.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:56 AM »
Yeah, in previous games it was pretty much impossible to really see with our own eyes what Samus 'feels'.  I'm pretty sure that if Metroid Fusion was remade in the vein of Metroid: Other M, she would be freaked out to see Ridley again, corrupted by the X Parasite.

In the Prime games, Retro studios purposefully chose not to show any of these emotions.  In Super, I'm sure she undergoes through a lot of emotions when she sees the Baby metroid, but again, there was no way to portray that on that tiny, emotionless sprite of hers, short of putting dialogue lines at the time.

I have knows that Samus was a compassionate human with emotions since Metroid II: Return of Samus, when she chooses not to shoot the baby Metroid.

Technically speaking, if you don't count the Prime games (which I think people aren't even though I love them), she's fought Ridley twice only.  I'm not sure if Zero Mission's 'other Ridley' counts as a Ridley experience, but I would say that Metroid 1 and Super Metroid are the ones that count, according to Other M.  **SPOILER**Although she probably should not be surprised that Ridley is back in Other M, it is the first game in which you really get to see her freaking out.  It's a turn-off for a lot of fans, but those fans are retards.**END SPOILER**  Fans expected her to be a soul-less cold mercenary with no feelings.

Even in Super Metroid, when she's about to die by Mother Brain, there's a point in the game in which she's 'unable to shoot and move', which 'could' count as a similar problem (only there's no one to witness it and alert her of this, just the player).  She's supposed to be so messed up that she cannot control herself... but it could be an emotional problem, not just the lack of energy.  So this is nothing new, in the Metroid Universe.

Super Waffle:  24 years in OUR gaming history doesn't translate into 24 years of Samus's Life.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 11:35:11 PM »
Having fun some six or seven hours in. The story may not be the freshest thing ever in theory, but darn if it isn't entertaining. The whole experience is starting to feel more cohesive. I've noticed people are referencing background story here...I seriously hope I get some Chozo/Power Suit explanations. That's what I'm waiting for in the flashbacks.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
I'm about 5 hours into it and I'm loving this chimeric beastie!
The way they basically melded classic Metroid game play with Prime & to a small extent Ninja Gaiden with a kick-ass story is great.
It does have it's flaws, but like the Nintendo Power reviewer put it; it's so much fun to play that the minor flaws it does have are easily tolerable.
"Stuff and things."

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »
Fans expected her to be a soul-less cold mercenary with no feelings.

False. Fans expect her to have emotions yet be in control of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwsOePKaqjw

Also, this made me lol.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
the problem is that for 20 some odd years Samus has been a silent ass kicker thats totally alone on hostile alien planets and now that games CAN show her as a person interactin with other ppl and having a life and feelings its never exactly what everyone expects. Odds are all the asian players had no issue with Samus like this cause her character was created for this game BY asians. Its the same kinda cultural disconnect that happens in 90% of pretty much everythin that comes outta japan

Had nintendo let a western team make this first big humanizing adventure for Samus thered prolly be the same thing goin on in asia land right now

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »
Fans expected her to be a soul-less cold mercenary with no feelings.

No, people knew she was a

But Other M turned her into a

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »
False. Fans expect her to have emotions yet be in control of them.

Fans have read the manga & played Fusion, and knew what her character already was from them.

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 09:57:06 PM »
1 poor example and a comic vs. a series of actual games.

k

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »
The manga is canon, though.
Speaking as a Metroid Fan.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
And so are the games.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 10:29:21 PM »
this is basically what happens when a fan's superior idea of how something was is crushed by the creator himself.
fan: this cat was a symbol of the purgatory we face in our everyday lives, facing real life consequences.
creator: no sorry it was just a cat lol.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »
I laugh at all the fans who are getting their panties in a twist about this.
It's really not nearly as big a deal as they portray it to be.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags:

anything