Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "New" Ghosts 'n' Goblins games?!  (Read 8759 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« on: September 25, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »
I recently learned that, in the last year or so, there have apparently been two new Ghosts 'n' Goblins games for the iPhone, subtitled Gold Knights and Gold Knights II. Surprisingly, they look like they have PSP quality, though the interface looks clunky. I don't go in for cellphone games, so I wish they'd port these or make them downloads for the consoles. Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised this classic franchise has any new installments after the seemingly lackluster sales of the PSP iteration (or "iterations" if you count the remixed version of GnG Ultimate in Japan).

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:00:16 PM »
well Ill be damned there is! I just looked on my iphone the first one is on sale for 99c and 2nd one is 4.99. I dont really care enough to buy em but its cool to see that theres new gng games

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:09:37 PM »
They have been out in Japan awhile now, I've seen videos of them on Nico Nico. They seem to be in the style of Gokumakaimura Kai/Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins from the PSP.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »

whaaat?
I recently got an iPhone.. gonna check them out immediately.

Offline csgx1

• Awards
Re: "New" Ghosts 'n' Goblins games?!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »
I'm a huge GnG fan and didn't know this.  Seems like a decent looking game from screenshots.   I bet the controls would make it even harder. 

Offline ShinAkumaXX

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:20:08 AM »
Sad that my favorite style of games are now basically made for cell phones and PSP. 2D games! I never really played these much. Nobody had them when I grew up. I played some on emulators, and they seem hard as hell.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »
Them bosses got life meters! Now we can see just how much more we can hit them till they finally DIE! Yeah... tortured myself quite afew times playing super Ghouls & ghosts. The only thing that really annoyed me was if you didn't get ahold of the goddess braclet, then after defeating the final boss, you had to go back and find it in order to finish the game for real! It was a good game but that really sucked.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
Them bosses got life meters! Now we can see just how much more we can hit them till they finally DIE! Yeah... tortured myself quite afew times playing super Ghouls & ghosts. The only thing that really annoyed me was if you didn't get ahold of the goddess braclet, then after defeating the final boss, you had to go back and find it in order to finish the game for real! It was a good game but that really sucked.

-X

Those aren't life meters for the bosses, they're magic meters for the player characters. I have both of them, and the first one is definitely better than the second.

UGnG on the PSP was the shit thought. That game is one of the best things they ever put out on the PSP, it's just too bad I can't find all the damn rings so I can actually beat the thing.  :P

Offline Pentagram-cracker

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »
I played Ghosts n Goblins years ago on Sega Genesis and it was a really fun game! I loved the creepy artwork and enemies. In a way it kind of reminds me of Castlevania.

I may be getting Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins for PSP. I hope it'll be a fun game. :)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
I prefer Gokumakaimura Kai over UGnG (aka in Japan as Gokumakaimura), they took out the backtracking and item fetching in favor of old school straight up platforming, with the rings as nice bonuses to collect continues (the game gives you 7 continues on the easiest setting, fewer on harder ones, makes the game much harder to finish). GK eats my lunch of course as I have not finished it.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »
The funny/sad thing is reviewers seem to think these games are ports of UGnG, but they are clearly TOTALLY NEW!

I prefer Gokumakaimura Kai over UGnG (aka in Japan as Gokumakaimura), they took out the backtracking and item fetching in favor of old school straight up platforming, with the rings as nice bonuses to collect continues (the game gives you 7 continues on the easiest setting, fewer on harder ones, makes the game much harder to finish). GK eats my lunch of course as I have not finished it.

I still haven't gotten all the UGnG rings (and am completely, frustratingly lost about where else to look), and heard that the remixed Japanese version streamlined the whole thing, which I think sounds great. UGnG's respawn ideas and such didn't sit well with me. It's levels were good, but weren't as consistently wild or balanced as the previous games.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »
Not sure about GnG Online. Looks well-done, but I think its missing the gameplay of the series.

Offline VeteranVk

• Hunter in Training
  • Vampire killing since 1988
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »
The GnG series spawned one of my favorite games ever. Demon's Crest! That game deserves alot of love and ZOMG if Capcom ever revisits it in 2.5d or 3d... I'd faint.
I now Prossess a what?

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 04:19:19 AM »
2.5d was done really, Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins, but it needed a bigger release, like a 2.5d console release, now that'd kick ass, i only really got into the series a couple years ago when i played the original arcade cabnet in someone's basement, after that the fun took off, the frusteration of my younger gaming years came back, for what was a lovingly welcomed challenge old school style
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Tags:

anything