Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "...the XBOX ONE, no longer an always be ready and connected console..."  (Read 53255 times)

Zobias

Re: "...the XBOX ONE, an always be ready and connected console..."
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »
+5
This sums up The XBox-1

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »
+4
This sums it up better...

Xbox One Reveal 2013 Highlights

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »
+2
Since I can't post a thread due to my junior member status, here is the full breakdown + some theory filling in the gaps as to what MS has announced in regards to console operation so far.

Games have mandatory installation and can't be played off discs. Whenever a game disc is inserted and the game is not installed, an Xbox Live connection is required to initialize the install with a one-use key. On the first console you install the game on (main console that is associated with your account) the game will work for any user, and can be played without a disc in the console.

If the game disc is put in a console not mainly associated with your account, the game's install will be a limited one (where only your account is allowed to use it). If another user wants to play the game, they will be required to connect to Xbox Live and pay a fee (which is full price right now according to a statement). If the fee is paid, it becomes available to all users on the console.

Now for the second part. Everytime you log into your account, all the game licenses you have get activated for the console you're playing on (if this is your main console, it allows the game to be played by anyone, if it another, the license only applies to your account). This in turn sends out a deactivate license command to whichever other console had an active license for your games. So if that console happens to be connected to Xbox Live for a bit with whichever account, the games that are licensed to you will stop working right away.

Back to a console with an activated license. Once you disconnect from Xbox Live, a 24 hour timer starts on the game's license validity on that console. Once the license is up, you will be locked out of playing the game until you log back into Xbox Live with your account which will bring the licenses back to active status.

This is done by MS to prevent this type of scenario (with their game installation licenses):

Take a game like Skyrim which can take days if not weeks to complete and can be played completely offline for that amount of time.

Now User A has the license to Skyrim. He goes to User B and installs the game to Console B with his own account. Now User B disables the internet connection and plays Skyrim with User A's account for weeks on end, enjoying the game for free with no money spent on it while User A could also be playing Skyrim on his console while logged in online.

The only thing User B misses out on is achievements on his own account, but many people would not mind not getting achievements on their own account if they got to play games for free.

Anyways, with this 24 hour requirement. User B would only have a 24 hour period (rather than an infinite amount of time) to play Skyrim even while his Xbox was in complete offline mode and he was using User A's account offline.

This argument doesn't hold water because wouldn't the online verification of the game before it lets you play it take care of this? As an excuse for verification every 24 hours it just doesn't hold water. Even if this were some Bizzaro world were it did though, they should not be able to have this much control over how we use the media after we've bought it* anyway. Valve's steam has an online verification to, you have to log in like once a month. One of these companies realizes that outages can take a while to fix, other has not. But then again one of these companies is actually focused on games to. Microsoft doesn't seem to understand that a major reason many console gamers have stayed console gamers over the last gen has been for perceived (if not actual) convenience, and they're just taking that away.

*Or "bought the license to play it" if you prefer, we still bought the license and should have the right to transfer it whenever we wish to whoever we want. At least when it comes to physical media. You don't see car companies demanding cuts of profits from used car sales because they designed them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:20:44 PM by Ratty »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
This argument doesn't hold water because wouldn't the online verification of the game before it lets you play it take care of this? As an excuse for verification every 24 hours it just doesn't hold water. Even if this were some Bizzaro world were it did though, they should not be able to have this much control over how we use the media after we've bought it* anyway. Valve's steam has an online verification to, you have to log in like once a month. One of these companies realizes that outages can take a while to fix, other has not. But then again one of these companies is actually focused on games to. Microsoft doesn't seem to understand that a major reason many console gamers have stayed console gamers over the last gen has been for perceived (if not actual) convenience, and they're just taking that away.

*Or "bought the license to play it" if you prefer, we still bought the license and should have the right to transfer it whenever we wish to whoever we want. At least when it comes to physical media. You don't see car companies demanding cuts of profits from used car sales because they designed them.
Again, it's "pinch-penny greed". ESPECIALLY in this economy(when we haven't actually recovered to a point of modest to productive stability), why would anybody try such an anti-consumer practice such as this? It's like going to a homeless person and saying, "You want a bowl of hot water with a spoonful of chicken seasoning? All your money, your clothes, and we get to beat on you for a minute!". It REALLY is, in a sense, comical in a cartoony fashion. In cartoons and movies, they portray business types, huge corporate high rollers as these sleazy, cut-throat fat cats that are finding any and every possible way to squeeze every last penny from anybody they can, and do so in the most cruelest and inconsiderate means as possible. The whole, "I'd sell my own mom for a nickle" type of cartoonish "greedy bastards" that you kinda don't think CAN exist because, it's just a bloated stereotype. But, LOL, maybe(just maybe), the reason those characters exist is because, well, the are real people out there to inspire them. Sickening, no?

Odd thing about the always online bit. It requires you to check in online once every 24 hrs. What happens if you don't. Say I go on vacation(this is hypothetical, as I don't plan on getting this god forsaken Xblock). Does it automatically check in? Do you have to call a sibling, friend or neighbor and tell them to, once a day, log in for you? Is it really becoming like a fuckin PET? "Hey, don't forget to check on my parakeet once a day, and change the bird seed! Oh yeah, log into the internet with my Xbox One, and don't forget to change it's water bowl, because that thing gets THIRSTY!!!". The rumor(or word, as it's been said by a few sites) is that if you don't log in, the fuckin thing just doesn't work anymore. WTF? So, you skip one day, forget about it because you are preoccupied with, well, LIFE, and you are screwed. The Xbox One transforms into an expensive door stop.

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »
Angry Joe was pissed.  :-\

Xbox One Reveal: Angry Rant

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
I don't remember the Steam requiring people to log in once every month... source?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 12:18:42 AM »
Wow... fuck the NeXtBOX. Fuck MS.

Looking at the image of the new exBOX (see what I did there?) it gives me the emotional response as when I look at a bricked Wii.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:27:04 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38:35 AM »
I don't remember the Steam requiring people to log in once every month... source?

Personal experience and this http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828937979095845728/ which states that the limit is apparently 15 days. Though these lockouts could conceivably be the result of (an) unintentional glitch(es) it seems unlikely considering my personal experience with them was over a year ago if I'm remembering right. Make no mistake, Steam is very much DRM. It's just well handled, relatively user friendly DRM. I've had issues modding a game where I was unable to launch it because the new files made the game unable to detect steam for example. Even with Steam's crazygood holiday sales I almost invariably buy games from Gog when given the choice.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:50:24 AM by Ratty »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 05:51:23 AM »
Oh man too funny! I guess since "Nextbox" (haha Flame) is looking to be a Kamikaze mission, I'm gonna sit back and let the console wars unfurl. A month later when the battle has subsided from lack of sales (which i expect both systems to have based on some of the great ideas they've both come up with) I will walk into Gamestop and laugh at all the sad people who purchased one and smile as i trade in some PS3 games ;D. I just can't believe they think its a good idea with these game account permissions. Someone should make a poll now to see which one will outsell the other, then we can laugh about it in a year. JUST HORRIBLE and I myself never really was a MS fan and don't ever see it changing now.
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 06:11:47 AM »
The Xbox 180 was the best ad for the PS4 I've ever seen!!  ;D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
Odd thing about the always online bit. It requires you to check in online once every 24 hrs. What happens if you don't. Say I go on vacation(this is hypothetical, as I don't plan on getting this god forsaken Xblock). Does it automatically check in? Do you have to call a sibling, friend or neighbor and tell them to, once a day, log in for you? Is it really becoming like a fuckin PET? "Hey, don't forget to check on my parakeet once a day, and change the bird seed! Oh yeah, log into the internet with my Xbox One, and don't forget to change it's water bowl, because that thing gets THIRSTY!!!". The rumor(or word, as it's been said by a few sites) is that if you don't log in, the fuckin thing just doesn't work anymore. WTF? So, you skip one day, forget about it because you are preoccupied with, well, LIFE, and you are screwed. The Xbox One transforms into an expensive door stop.

I've always known that we were a wasteful society, but this..? This is THE biggest waste of tech that I, and the rest of the tech world, have ever seen. My bro knows this XBOX is bad. My friends know this XBOX is bad, And I know it's bad. W. T. F!

Oh man too funny! I guess since "Nextbox" (haha Flame) is looking to be a Kamikaze mission, I'm gonna sit back and let the console wars unfurl.

You won't have to. Microshaft just self-annihilated with their own doomsday machine. They didn't even get a chance to tip the scales of war in their favor. Authors should publish a book on the console wars; more specifically about what NOT to do in a console war. This is a dick move. In fact it's the biggest dick move I've ever seen. And it may very well be the only dick move to ever be seen again. This is literally bad history being made in the 21st century. I smell and see a Guinness book world record right now.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »
Even my brother, a hardcore Xbox fan, doesn't want anything to do with the X1 (that used game fee crossed the line for him), even going as far as saying he'll get a PS4 and he hasn't bought a Playstation product since the PS1. Everyone is starting to turn their backs on this thing, and serves them right for turning their backs on gamers in the first place.

I hope alot of people catches wind of this shit.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:13:42 AM by Kingshango »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »
So MS isn't going to charge YOU for used games... they're just forcing retailers to fork over a cut to them and the game's publisher. Gee, I wonder what that'll do to the average price of the games?  :rollseyes:
"Stuff and things."

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »
Well if the various Windows OS debacles have taught us anything, it's that MS refuses to learn. If this blunder is severe to force them out of the console market, then so be it I guess.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Tags:

anything