Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Legend of Zelda Timelines!!" or "It's one of THOSE! Run for your lives!!"  (Read 8589 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)

Oh yes, some people become insane about trivial stuff.

As for myself, I enjoy both old and new Sonic games, with some exceptions. I like 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, 4 episodes 1 and 2, Generations, Unleashed, I am OK with Rush, Rush Adventure, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Heroes, I am not so OK with Rivals 1 and 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog, and I dislike Sonic for PS3, Colours and, from what I've seen so far, I won't like Lost World.

But that's just my personal taste, I can't understand how people can be so hateful to teach their sons to hate something. It's like when I was little my mom was telling me to like the Atari games because she loved them, and to hate the Playstation. It's so stupid, and sad...

Yes it is a bit disturbing, I think at that point, when you try to force your tastes and interests on your child, you're trying to make them be you instead of letting them be themselves. And I just don't think that's right. That's not the strangest bit of Sonic-related parenting I've heard though, iirc there was one couple who gave their daughter the first name Yujinaka, after "Yuji Naka" the man who created Sonic.

Sorry to hear your mom tried to force you to only like Atari Pfil, I enjoy the 2600 every now and then but there's no comparison between it and the PS1.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:35:25 AM by Ratty »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
I don't know, I think it's a suprisingly solid timeline for the most part.

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Personally I like the timeline. It's funny back in 2009 I posted my timeline on a Zelda forum, and I had Four Swords Adventures after Twilight Princess and everyone was telling me that I was wrong to put it after TP. So the fact that the real timeline has FSA after TP kind of puts a smile on my face.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Personally I like the timeline. It's funny back in 2009 I posted my timeline on a Zelda forum, and I had Four Swords Adventures after Twilight Princess and everyone was telling me that I was wrong to put it after TP. So the fact that the real timeline has FSA after TP kind of puts a smile on my face.

That'll teach them to mock you, eh?  8)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)

Yes it is a bit disturbing, I think at that point, when you try to force your tastes and interests on your child, you're trying to make them be you instead of letting them be themselves. And I just don't think that's right. That's not the strangest bit of Sonic-related parenting I've heard though, iirc there was one couple who gave their daughter the first name Yujinaka, after "Yuji Naka" the man who created Sonic.

Sorry to hear your mom tried to force you to only like Atari Pfil, I enjoy the 2600 every now and then but there's no comparison between it and the PS1.
Oh no, english got me wrong again!  :P
I made a comparison, that it would be like if when I was little my mom did that.
She didn't  :)
She stayed entire nights with me teaching me how to play NES games, and she bought me the SNES and the Playstation. Atari 2600 is her favourite console, though, because it was the one she enjoyed in her youth. I still remember my mom staying up after dinner playing games when I was sleeping... when my family was one in the same house...
In fact, she's still buying me games from time to time today, last time she bought me my PSMove for my birthday!  :)
My mom rules! But she lives so far away, I miss her!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
I made a comparison, that it would be like if when I was little my mom did that.
She didn't  :)
She stayed entire nights with me teaching me how to play NES games, and she bought me the SNES and the Playstation. Atari 2600 is her favourite console, though, because it was the one she enjoyed in her youth. I still remember my mom staying up after dinner playing games when I was sleeping... when my family was one in the same house...
In fact, she's still buying me games from time to time today, last time she bought me my PSMove for my birthday!  :)
My mom rules! But she lives so far away, I miss her!

A PSMove have a strange desing if you ask me, what you are using it for? LOL

Also Im laughing here about these strange fans that you guys mentioned here.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Thats a perfect example of fans being so silly to understand when to stop. A timeline never existed to begin with, they only did one so fans could shut up and leave them rest a bit. I've ever said that a timeline doesnt existed since fans started trying to make one and this book is a proof, since it doesnt do a good job IMO.

Some titles could be really connected, but not all of them. Trying to connect every title in a timeline is like trying to put a square block into a hole made for round blocks, it is possible but only if you break another parts destroying your toy.

Pretty much. There is no timeline. It only existed because the talk of it existed. Now they are trying to make it fit into some sort of twisted timeline, but it doesn't exist. And nothing they do short from being nonsensical, will get it to "fit."

At least CV has a timeline, one that has been redacted and changed but it has a straight through and through timeline. Might even have time forks with St Germaine being introduced.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
A PSMove have a strange desing if you ask me, what you are using it for? LOL
Oh you naughty! I played GalGun and Okami HD! PUN PUN!

Yes, some fans mentioned in this topic are a case for the madhouse  :P
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
There was a timeline in that they knew exactly what order the first 4 games were in. Not in the sense that they had a grandiose plan for future titles.

I read an article yesterday that brought up some very interesting points about Aonuma-san's involvement in the series. It's an interesting coincidence that all the games that either he wasn't involved with or didn't much care for happen to be in a timeline that is labeled the "Era of Decline".

All of the inconsistencies happened because of OoT. It was supposed to be the "Imprisoning War" mentioned in ALttP, but the way it was executed made some pretty glaring plot holes. After that all the games Aonume worked on used the split ending of OoT to establish the Child Era and Adult Era games without any seeming consideration of the original four games.

There are still a lot of issues with the official timeline that can only be fixed with retcons or whole new games to be added in between others. Kinda like TotG2/ALBW.

And in my opinion the decision to make the original timeline a what if scenario is a sorry-ass-lazy-little-bitch way of going about it. It's smart from a designer's point of view to establish a get-out-of-jail-free card, but just comes of half-assed.

Here's the article:
http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/the-aonumaverse
"Stuff and things."

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Personally I think the threeway timeline is clever. Three timelines, three parts of the Triforce, three main characters(Link, Zelda, and Ganon)who have different affects on history.

I like to call the adult timeline the timeline of wisdom since it was Zelda's actions by sending OOT Link back to the past that removed the hero's bloodline which led there to be no hero to stop Ganondolf leading to the Gods sealing away Hyrule which sets up the games on the adult timeline.

I like to call the child timeline the timeline of courage since it was Link's actions after being sent back that changed history and sets up Twilight Princess.

I like to call the decline timeline the timeline of power since Ganondolf killing OOT Link sets up the events that lead into ALTTP.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Personally I think the threeway timeline is clever. Three timelines, three parts of the Triforce, three main characters(Link, Zelda, and Ganon)who have different affects on history.

I like to call the adult timeline the timeline of wisdom since it was Zelda's actions by sending OOT Link back to the past that removed the hero's bloodline which led there to be no hero to stop Ganondolf leading to the Gods sealing away Hyrule which sets up the games on the adult timeline.

I like to call the child timeline the timeline of courage since it was Link's actions after being sent back that changed history and sets up Twilight Princess.

I like to call the decline timeline the timeline of power since Ganondolf killing OOT Link sets up the events that lead into ALTTP.

Zelda's actions in the Adult timeline lead to the complete destruction of Hyrule... that don't seem so wise to me. In fact it seems more like she let her compassion outweigh her wisdom.

About the decline timeline and the "death" of OoT Link. Does it actually say anywhere that Link is killed? I seem to recall HH only stating that he's defeated, not necessarily killed.

Checking... Yeap.

HH P.92
"Of all possible outcomes, Link, the Hero of Time, faced defeat at the hands of Ganondorf.
The thief obtained the three pieces of the Triforce, transformed into the Demon King,
Ganon, and continued to threaten the world in future eras.
The conflict surrounding the Triforce continued without end, the blood of the gods
weakened, and the kingdom of Hyrule shrank to a shadow of its former glory."

"THE HERO OF TIME'S DEFEAT
The Seven Sages Seal away the Demon King
Ganondorf the thief obtained the Triforce of Power and managed to
get his hands on Princess Zelda. The Hero of Time, Link, challenged
him in a battle that would determine Hyrule’s very existence, and lost."

While it's possible Ganondorf kills Link, it's just as likely that he simply bests him and leaves him alive after taking the Triforce of Courage out of sheer arrogance which Ganondorf IS prone to.

Also I believe I found a plot hole (as defined as a contradiction in a plot) in HH.

HH P.92
"At last, Ganondorf found himself in the possession of the Triforce of
Wisdom that dwelt within Princess Zelda, and the Triforce of Courage
that dwelt in Link. His true power achieved, he transformed into the
Demon King. The Seven Sages of Hyrule, led by Princess Zelda, sealed
Ganon and the Triforce in the Sacred Realm
as a final resort."

HH P.93
"THE IMPRISONING WAR
For a brief time, it seemed as though peace
had returned to the kingdom.
However, there were many who knew of
the existence of the Triforce and the entrance
to the Sacred Realm because of the
events set in motion by Ganondorf. Their
lust aroused, they rushed to gain access to
the holy land
in their quest to obtain the
power of the gods.
Little did they realize that the Sacred
Realm had been transformed into the Dark
World by Ganondorf ’s evil heart. None
returned from their adventures. Instead,
only the power of darkness flowed forth."

"THE SACRED REALM IS SEALED BY THE SAGES
The king of Hyrule ordered the Seven Sages to seal the Sacred Realm.
The Knights of Hyrule guarded the sages as they offered up their
prayers, but demons descended upon them from within the Sacred
Realm, and a fierce battle unfolded in which the majority of the combatants
were killed.
The entrance to the Sacred Realm was sealed once again, tight
enough that it should never have been reopened."

So...? When the hell did the Sacred Land get UNSEALED in the first place? It says plain as day that OoT Zelda and the rest of the sages sealed Ganon in the Sacred Realm. It doesn't say anything about that seal being weak. In fact if I take HH at face value, then OoT isn't the Imprisoning War at all.

If this is in fact the case then it kind of makes perfect sense that FSA was originally intended to be the Imprisoning War. I'm starting to think that the only reason FSA was placed after TP was because from a design point of view it's actually related to TP and Aonuma just didn't want it in the exiled Decline Era.
"Stuff and things."

Tags: Legend of Zelda 

anything