Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: #1 reason to own an Ouya  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:53:16 AM »

Beat ’Em & Eat ’Em in 1080p

(potentially NSFW)
(click to show/hide)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »
lol. cool.
Part of the point of Ouya is that you can do anything with it you want.
Add emulators, program your own games, whatever.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »
I had one for a day and returned it for an apple tv.

I needed it to have a netflix and hulu plus app. I tried side loading them and the lag was awful.

It's too bad though cuz I thought the games looked fun, but I had a deal with my fiance though that I would get something that could run those apps well.

:(
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »
Playing Atari games at 1080p resolution seems... weird.
My WiiU plays Atari games at 480p and the pixels are all perfectly square.  I kinda miss the old Coaxial Cable noise, haha.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:47:19 AM »
There's a 1:1 aspect ratio in 2600.emu which makes the pixels almost perfectly square, but I think the 4:3 option looks nice.

It would be cool if it got updated with a filter that created the crap coaxial flicker and also the warp/bend of a CRT with scanlines.

I never had an Atari 2600 growing up so I'm not exactly nostalgic for it. NES and SNES were my era. So I don't really know the essential games to be playing.

SO RECOMMEND, YOU ARSCHOLES :D

I remember Dig Dug being fun.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »
LOL I still don't see it as a reason to own an Ouya. :P

Having said that, these were my fave Atari games back in the day:
-Moon Patrol
-Yars Revenge
-Phoenix
-Kangaroo
-Frogger
-Space Invaders
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:15:58 AM »
My favorite Atari games are Pitfall and Boxing.

We had an Atari when I was a toddler. I remember playing it and chewing on the joysticks. I got in trouble for that!

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »
Boxing is awesome if you have a 2nd joystick.
As for Pitfall... does that game ever end?  I remember starting it and running to the Left instead of the Right 'cuz I was a rebel.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 11:02:36 AM »
Along with those already mentioned I'd recommend any Atari fan try-

Frankenstein's Monster
Popeye (it doesn't have all the levels from the Arcade, but I love the way the theme song sounds on the 2600)
Haunted House
Space Cavern

And if you've got someone else to play with, definitely buy Outlaw.

Boxing is awesome if you have a 2nd joystick.
As for Pitfall... does that game ever end?  I remember starting it and running to the Left instead of the Right 'cuz I was a rebel.

Not sure if Pitfall ends or just reloops, but I think Pitfall 2 had an end at least.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:04:16 AM by Ratty »

Offline RegalSin

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »
I own a real Atari and Master system. Why again?

Ouya was a good idea, but it is relying on the idea of cell phone games. No cartridge or cd types. Which sucks.

So far there is

Resident Evil games
Final Fantasy games
Megaman games.

Are these on the Auyuuu? I am pretty sure you know the titles I am talking about,

I still do not need an Ouyu for that. It is like a waste of money. If I had two options, buy rhis Abbi-yo-yo, or a Phonystation 4, I would choose the phonystation. Even the Wii blows the Auyo away. I mean no, no, no, this thing is due to crash. A person in a 3rd world nation might find it useful, but nope, not going to catch on. Even in a 3rd world nation.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
Phonystation 4

lol! Sorry dude, just had to let that out  ;D  I know what you mean though.  'Playstation 4'
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 03:18:55 PM »
I've been somewhat interested in the Ouya, but its initial reception seemed to be less than stellar.  But it would be nice to have a tiny little emulation station hooked up to my TV.  Of course I could run my PC through my TV, but somehow the fact that the Ouya is a console just makes it more desireable to me.

It's strange, but I'm not too nostalgic for the Atari 2600.  I played it for years before the NES, and while I'm hugely nostalgic for the NES, I just don't have much of a desire to hook up my old 2600.  What's even weirder is that I've always been a big Atari fanboy.  I still play my Jaguar and Lynx on a regular basis.  But not my 2600.

I used to love Pitfall, Space Invaders, Outlaw, Combat, Air Sea Battle, River Raid, and dozens of others.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 03:06:36 AM »
+1
The Ouya being a tiny little box that you could fit into your pocket (if you had baggy enough pants, anyway) is certainly much of the appeal. I only got it because it was on sale at Target. $80 is still a lot of cash, but I wanted to give it a shot; I wanted a console I could hook up to my TV and play old school games in 1080p, and for that it's great.

The emulators by Robert Broglia (all free in the Ouya store, by the way) are all top-notch and all feature Wiimote(+ Classic Controller) and Wii U Pro Controller support, so you can toss that chintzy Ouya pad aside; you can also hook a PS3 controller up to control the Ouya's interface and all other apps and emulators, but it's a little bit of a pain to get it recognized, and it doesn't want to shut off when you're finished and can drain your battery dry—but that could be due to not powering down the Ouya completely, only putting it in standby. Hoping somebody develops a way to automatically retrieve a Bluetooth controller's PIN so that connecting these controllers will be quicker and easier, and so that a Wii U Pro can control the GUI, etc.

MAME4droid desperately needs Wiimote support because I have a couple Hori fighting sticks and would love to get a more authentic arcade feel with the controls.

The FPse emulator also runs PlayStation games rather well, and once my HDD enclosure arrives, I'll be popping an 80gig drive into it and loading that sucker with tons of games, and hopefully can get Policenauts patched properly.

Now if only I could get Snatcher to run without a hitch... The video tends to disappear at random spots during the opening cinematic (during quick cuts when Gillian's talking to his wife) and it's driving me batty because I just wanna kick back and play through the game again.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:09:17 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
Emulators are free, you know.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 01:52:57 AM »
Derp, of course they are, I was just pointing out that the Google Play page I linked to has all those Android-based emulators for a price, and I didn't want some nerd coming in and saying "HURR HRUR YOU PAID MONEY FOR EMUZ"

Unless you meant the idea of buying the Ouya in order to emulate, in which case it's 'cos of the convenient size of the thing. I suppose a tablet with HDMI out could've worked just as fine, though.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything