Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Dungeon Award Sprite Contest  (Read 57011 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania Dungeon Award Sprite Contest
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2014, 09:24:02 AM »
I like all the icons, honestly, even if they don't reflect a progression from "lest to best".
And Jorge highlighted something that I'm expecting to happen in every contest: imaginative ways to use all submissions. The true goal of this contest, in MY opinion, is to generate interest in honing the artist's skills to razor sharp (through the will to win), so virtually anything he draws will be used by someone in something.

I was afraid people would feel desincouraged from drawing because the "losing" submissions would be used for nothing, but by how things are going, I see that this will NOT happen.

About the lack of "imagination"... Well... I think there ARE better concepts than mine... There always are  :P

I was hoping that too!

Also, it would seem that everyone is putting all their stock in just this contest.. There will be a new contest for next month that doesn't involve making an award. We all will vote on what the theme will be, so no worries!

At either rate, there will always be an abundance of new and original sprites now for the forum  that can only be found here so I think it opens ALOT more communication between members their needs and any personal projects.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: 1st Annual Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
I must say that I found this contest, while useful (due to future contests), somewhat ... restrictive in imagination.  I think theplottwist more or less snagged the best idea to be used.  I know Uzo mentioned items, and other similar objects, in ascending order (or a whip, or the double and triple powerups and so on), but let's be honest here:  the winner "object" will most definitely be a figure (either human or creature or anything inbetween).

Also, because of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place format, the bronze, silver and gold concept is the most recognizable (again, theplottwist).  The trio of busts I submitted, for example, don't really occur in any natural "order".  In CVIII for example, each character has their strengths, weaknesses, and specific uses.  The only way I could ofset this was by coloring them in the bronze, silver and gold palettes, to make it more apparent they are trophies and representing particular places in the contest.

This is more or less just my thoughts on this contest.  I won't be hurt if it has no bearing on the results or submissions, but it was with this frame of mind that I approached, and felt somewhat ... at a lack for imagination or interest because of what the end result required.

You know... I was thinking the other day that we should go ahead and have a second contest to run along side this one.
Since this one is mostly a utility.

What do you guys think? You want a second parallel contest for right now?
(It would start after we settle this business of rules.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:44:31 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »
I'd rather finish an existing contest than run a parallel one.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
Re: 1st Annual Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2014, 05:35:25 AM »
You know... I was thinking the other day that we should go ahead and have a second contest to run along side this one.
Since this one is mostly a utility.

What do you guys think? You want a second parallel contest for right now?
(It would start after we settle this business of rules.)

Yeah bro, let's not muck this one up any further right now! lol

Besides we would all have to vote on the next theme. I would like it that everyone has ample time to provide their ideas with their full attention on the next particular contest.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2014, 06:09:47 AM »
Yeah, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've got a complicated one as is right now.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
Well the rules poll is closed so I'm updating the first post appropriately.
So from now until Monday the 27th you guys can enter as many sprites as you feel like and they will each be evaluated as single entries.
See? Simple.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:10:00 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2014, 02:31:33 AM »
+1
My icons:

New Addition, Medusa head:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:32:12 PM by kaonstantine »

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 03:24:46 PM »
My icons:

You guys are making my job difficult!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 06:58:59 PM »
I can't wait to get into these. So much I want to say already but of course I can't comment until judgement day...

I'll try my best to write up what I think about every entry when we do the judgement.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
Couldn't you just write it now and save it in a Word document or something?  Get your thoughts out now while they're fresh, and share them later when the time is right?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2014, 12:08:52 AM »
Dang! Those sprites look great!
It's a good thing I'm not judging. hahahaha!  :D

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2014, 02:22:34 AM »

I feel bad for myself, but since I wanted to try...
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
RE: 1st Annual Castlevania Dungeon 3-D Art Contest
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »
All participants/viewers of the sprite contest, please check out the dungeon's 3-D Work thread as well.

I just posted the dungeon's 1st contest for that thread.

The deadline is the end of November, so that give's everyone enough time to enter that contest as well.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2014, 02:42:45 PM »
Couldn't you just write it now and save it in a Word document or something?  Get your thoughts out now while they're fresh, and share them later when the time is right?

I keep pretty good mental notes. It's also going to be something I'll need to do when I see them all though too.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »
I keep pretty good mental notes. It's also going to be something I'll need to do when I see them all though too.

Is anyone collecting these sprites in one place as we go for judging or are we just going to wing it as they come?

Tags: Fuck it 

anything