Donvermicelli's Seranna
1 (12.5%)
Kokushibyō's Roxanne Belmont
1 (12.5%)
kaonstantine's Alunia Belmont
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 28, 2015, 12:10:00 AM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: February 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest  (Read 27691 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: February 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
Damnit I forgot to animate. :(

It's always optional.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 07:36:48 PM »
There's some really excellent sprites here.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2015, 12:44:53 AM »
Voting is closed.
We'll just wait for the judges to hand out their respective verdicts.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »
Great job to everyone!  So many entries, and all done so well...this was difficult!  (Somehow, it was still fun to do, so thanks for the privilege of letting me judge this one!)  Again, ;-) I say we should use our entries from each of these contests to just make our own game...Castlevania: Dungeon Forum of...something.

Anyway, on to my verdicts if you would like to know!  I thought about placing each winner under their own spoiler tag, and the honorable mentions under another...but on account of the fact that such an act may just be annoying, I'll just use one tag for them all.  [Drumroll] [/Drumroll] ;-)
(click to show/hide)

Once again, and absolutely stellar job done by all!  I don't know how anyone else really feels, but I say all of these forum contests are pretty awesome!

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 05:18:51 AM »
Oh yeah you are right theANdROId about the Ice, its because it is a space ship, its Vic Viper,I just wanted to do something that some Castlevania do, you know find some items that looks like something from other game, so thats why the Ice make that XD.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 05:27:41 AM »
Great job to everyone!  So many entries, and all done so well...this was difficult!  (Somehow, it was still fun to do, so thanks for the privilege of letting me judge this one!)  Again, ;-) I say we should use our entries from each of these contests to just make our own game...Castlevania: Dungeon Forum of...something.

Anyway, on to my verdicts if you would like to know!  I thought about placing each winner under their own spoiler tag, and the honorable mentions under another...but on account of the fact that such an act may just be annoying, I'll just use one tag for them all.  [Drumroll] [/Drumroll] ;-)
(click to show/hide)

Once again, and absolutely stellar job done by all!  I don't know how anyone else really feels, but I say all of these forum contests are pretty awesome!

That "skirt" is actually more akin to a loin cloth.

If you look at it again, I drew it as if it's blowing in the wind.

The white trim in it is the bottom of it. So the wind had blown it a bit to the side and she has a little bit of thigh exposed on the side.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
Belmontoya, wherever you are, please give your judgment so that we can formally close this contest.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 02:59:59 PM »
1st place:

Kaonstantine: Alunia Belmont

Love this. Great design, great animation. What kaonstantine does is bring a fresh style to the table. I wish we saw more sprite artists work with their own voice, rather than emulate style. Kao takes risks and breathes new life. Thank you for the great entry! I only wish you would have put more time into a backstory.

2nd place:

Donvermicelli's Seranna

Great work on this. She has an original design. The pose is good but a little awkward for the only sprite. I would have liked to see a standing pose in addition to get a better feel for the costume.

3rd place:

Theplottwist: Ariane Belmont

Another great piece by Theplottwist. You are a master of the SOTN style and an amazing artist. This entry had some controversy, but it was ungrounded in my opinion. Even davinci used a model for the Mona Lisa. There is nothing wrong with using references. I gave you 3rd place because I would like to see you show us another style of your sprite work. By now we all know that you are a skilled artist. I want to see what else you can do!

Great work everyone! Thanks for playing!

The worst monsters are human.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 04:13:13 PM »
So, to save anyone the math:
First: Tie between Ariane (plot) and Roxanne (ZSG)
Second: Tie between Seanna (Don) and Alunia (Kon)
Third: Zoe (dark)

Is that okay?  Are there rules for ties?  I dunno!

That "skirt" is actually more akin to a loin cloth.

If you look at it again, I drew it as if it's blowing in the wind.

The white trim in it is the bottom of it. So the wind had blown it a bit to the side and she has a little bit of thigh exposed on the side.

My bad...it isn't at all what I was imagining.  I can now better see what you were going for now.  Admittedly, it does still seem a bit odd, but much less so than when I was picturing a skirt.  Still a good piece overall though!

Oh yeah you are right theANdROId about the Ice, its because it is a space ship, its Vic Viper,I just wanted to do something that some Castlevania do, you know find some items that looks like something from other game, so thats why the Ice make that XD.

Oh my gosh I can't believe that didn't occur to me!  Nice cameo!  If you use that in a game one day, maybe it could be a rare happening that does extra damage or something (like the "shrunken head" vegetable Peach pulls in the Smash Bros games)?!!

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »
As for the ties, I've already asked Jorge to help with that.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 08:21:37 AM »
For ties, both people get the award representing that place.
However, the award for the place under it becomes lost, that place now qualifies for the next award.
Since we only offer three awards, that meant that if there are two ties, there is no third place award.

In this case, theplottwist and ZSG both get Gold.
Donvermicelli and Kaonstantine get Bronze, since the first place had two awards.
No awards are given for darkman's entry, not because it wasn't good, but because of the award structure mentioned above.  I did it this way for previous ties in the past two months.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
For ties, both people get the award representing that place.
However, the award for the place under it becomes lost, that place now qualifies for the next award.
Since we only offer three awards, that meant that if there are two ties, there is no third place award.

In this case, theplottwist and ZSG both get Gold.
Donvermicelli and Kaonstantine get Bronze, since the first place had two awards.
No awards are given for darkman's entry, not because it wasn't good, but because of the award structure mentioned above.  I did it this way for previous ties in the past two months.
Didn't for the previous music contest ( I believe it was) there was a tie and the 2 entries got the same 1st place award while the 3rd person was actually promoted to 2nd Place...

Correct me if I am wrong...

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »

I had a blast making the character, sadly I was short on time so sadly I couldn't really work out multiple poses (or beef up her story).
Here is to hoping the rest had as much fun as I did.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:50:51 PM by Donvermicelli »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
Didn't for the previous music contest ( I believe it was) there was a tie and the 2 entries got the same 1st place award while the 3rd person was actually promoted to 2nd Place...

Correct me if I am wrong...

I'm pretty sure that's not what happened. 
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 12:50:55 AM »
Proof of what Jorge said from the December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest:

I'll use standard rules for ties without tie-breaker:

-All tied winners get the award they tied for.
-The award for the tier under that disappears.
-The runners-up get the tier under the disappeared tier award.

So for this, we shall have two Gold Awards, no Silver Award, and the 2nd place gets the Bronze.

Look at BMC_War Machine's profile and his Dec award is a bronze even if he got 2nd place in the rankings.

Tags: female belmont 

anything