Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Contra Return is the greatest Contra ever, should come to consoles  (Read 8586 times)

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Contra Return is the greatest Contra ever, should come to consoles
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
so epic! and they should bring it to consoles with all the characters! it would be easier to adapt than what Blizzard went through to make Diablo III playable on console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d10kXDmdog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy1aayTRnN0

well yea sure the level design is simple but it has more epic replay value than all the previous Contra games.  console version could add local co-op and more features!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Contra Return is the greatest Contra ever, should come to consoles
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
+1
Some characters I recognize, but there's others I've never heard of before. They either must be from other titles that came out after Hard corps: Uprising or they were invented for this title.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:08:29 AM »
Nah, this so-called ”Contra” is actually garbage. The gameplay is a far cry from the greatest in the series. You’re not missing out, don’t worry Affinity  ;D

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »
+1
Yeah, I tried it myself when it first came out. Not a fan at all. Hard Corps will still always be #1.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »
The one official and modern Contra game that never was recognized as such due to poor marketing / naming was Hard Corps : Uprising. It actually shows not only everything a good modern Contra should be, but also in a respect , Castlevania, especially for Level 3.

Why they hell didn't they just call it "Contra" so people knew what the hell it was, bought the game, and then could show that 2.0 and 2.5 D are still viable in todays world?

Stupid Konami.
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »
Maybe Hard Corps: Uprising wasn't called Contra because it is more of a standalone alternate universe entry as it's backstory interferes with what was established in Contra: Shattered Soldier.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 07:42:18 AM »
This... makes me really appreciate Contra 4.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 09:57:23 AM »
This... makes me really appreciate Contra 4.

Well, using that logic, there never sound have been a second to fifteenth Final Fantasy, given the lack of relationship between pretty much all of the titles.

In general, quite a lot of series have little or no continuity between stories when it comes to sequels. Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade, etc. But they all retain their titular namesake to at least give people  a general idea what to expect, and let them know that at least some elements of what fans have come to expect will be present in some form or other.

It was quite honestly a fluke that I found Hard Corps : Uprising and discovered what it really was....
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 10:51:32 PM »
There's no way this is Contra, this looks like something completely different with a remix of the first Contra games 1st stage playing in the background. Sorry, I'll pass.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 02:42:24 AM »
Looking at the topic title and remembering other threads created by affinity, I would be genuinely interested in seeing what her top 25 favorite video games ever would look like. There has been some very....unusual opinions coming from her in the past. And I’m all for that! Democrazy and freedom of speech! Yay!

Just curious cause it’s all very entertaining and unpredictable  :D

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
Well, using that logic, there never sound have been a second to fifteenth Final Fantasy, given the lack of relationship between pretty much all of the titles.

In general, quite a lot of series have little or no continuity between stories when it comes to sequels. Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade, etc. But they all retain their titular namesake to at least give people  a general idea what to expect, and let them know that at least some elements of what fans have come to expect will be present in some form or other.

It was quite honestly a fluke that I found Hard Corps : Uprising and discovered what it really was....

Context is important. When most of the titles in a series do have continuity, there is nothing wrong with singling out a divergent story in this way. I applaud them for letting Hard Corps: Uprising stand on its own merits.

Also, Xenoblade has continuity.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »
This entry (if it is an entry) seems quite divergent.
Hence my statement about liking Contra 4, which actually feels like a Contra title and includes a lot of goodies for newcomers and old fans, etc.

This entry is... a thing.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
uprising was a real contra game and is probably number 2 favorite for me
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »
uprising was a real contra game and is probably number 2 favorite for me

Yeah, it's really hard for me to rank Contra 1, 2, 3, and Uprising. Each has their place for me. When you try to quantify them, well ,  nothing would be there without the original, 2 was also a nice improvement, 3 was groundbreaking for the series, and Uprising brought it to further perfection...They all have their unique place in history as well as being my favs--all I know is that Uprising is right up there with the best of them, no question about it.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 03:48:47 PM »
Yeah, it's really hard for me to rank Contra 1, 2, 3, and Uprising. Each has their place for me. When you try to quantify them, well ,  nothing would be there without the original, 2 was also a nice improvement, 3 was groundbreaking for the series, and Uprising brought it to further perfection...They all have their unique place in history as well as being my favs--all I know is that Uprising is right up there with the best of them, no question about it.

psshhhh for me my favorite is easy

hard corps on the sega genesis babeeeee

Tags:

anything