Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Actrazor remake!  (Read 4898 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: September 24, 2021, 06:17:31 PM »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 07:55:54 AM »
I did, am playing it. It's cool but building the first town was extremelly annoying to get through. The game just never stops throwing tutorials at you and halting your gameplay at every 5 seconds to say some dumb thing you already know how to do. Hopefully the next towns won't be as obnoxious.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 10:36:57 PM »
The models don't look very good... :sob:

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 08:08:50 AM »
Yeah Ive seen it. Want to get it but not impressed with the visuals tho so will probably wait until I catch it on sale

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 01:14:08 PM »
I grabbed it late last night.  I agree with all that's been said, modeling looks like a rushed, pre rendered fan game.  Tutorials slow the pace down to a crawl.  As much as i LOVE the original game, i'm having a hard time appreciating this one so far..
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 11:53:12 PM »
I've been playing this for a better part of the day, and despite a lot of the things I have some minor gripes with, I have to say I'm enjoying this remake.

(click to show/hide)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 12:54:10 AM »
Game Sack mentioned sprites are prerendered, and the Switch and Steam versions have issues with framerates, and the already mentioned endless tutorials that stop after the first town.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 05:53:10 PM »
Bloodpool wasn't much better. Even without the tutorials the game still constantly stops what you're doing to play a cut scene, then dumps you in town, then plays another cut scene. The temple is there so you can check on your people and get quests, but then the game just has to interrupt your groove to dump other crap on you. It creates a real bad stutter to the gameplay. This is the thing where you wonder whether they actually played the game or not during development.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 07:08:07 PM »
Game Sack mentioned sprites are prerendered, and the Switch and Steam versions have issues with framerates, and the already mentioned endless tutorials that stop after the first town.

That's where I first heard of the remake. I was hoping they expanded on the town-building in a fun way, but it sounds kinda bleh.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 12:38:15 AM »
I was hoping they expanded on the town-building in a fun way, but it sounds kinda bleh.

They did and they didn't. You can build defensive arches and towers to stave off the invaders that like to pop up every so often. When the level of civilization goes up you bulldoze the current buildings and the people (despite being killed by the demolitions -woops!- lol) rebuild with a more advanced look and increased productivity to the structures. I think there could have been a better way to do that without sacrificing people and property. It is inconvenient when a raid happens and you just destroyed a beneficial part of the town that helps against such incursions. And yes, the interruptions do start to quickly grate on one's nerves when the player's got a good thing going. It's almost as if the game is playing at least half the game for you and you don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter. I like that they attempted to bring back a good ole title from the golden age of SNES gaming, however I feel they tried a bit too hard and in the wrong direction.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 08:34:53 PM »
Yeah, the town defense part of the game feels really tacked on. You could do a lot of the other stuff in the original title -- control where your people built, destroy old sections of town as the civilization level went up (which allowed you to increase the population more and potentially get enough "town experience" to level up again). I like the fact that faith from quests, and not just population level, is the metric for leveling up, although even then it does reduce the need for the town building. Why craft the town more specifically when eventually you're just going to get all the EXP you can from quests and then the town doesn't need you anymore?

I also though putting little action sequences in the demon portals was interesting. I didn't hate that as it did help to break up the pace some. At the same time, though, I really dislike that you can't just go and take out the portals and focus on the town building. The structure of the town building is so regimented that there's no improvisation to be had. The pace is all wrong, made only worse by the town defense sections. I didn't think "more features in Actraiser" would be a bad thing after everything they ripped out of Actraiser 2, but this game just doesn't have the right balance to its new features.

The one change I fully support, though, are the enemy drop-crystals. Those made fighting and killing enemies in the platforming sections more interesting, and the bonuses were nice. Otherwise, yeah... as pretty as the game looks and sounds, there's a lot that doesn't work about this remake.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 05:36:56 PM »
+1
So i spent about 8 hours this weekend with this again to give it another chance and while it's still not what i'd like to have in an actraiser remake, it still became fun after i gave it some time.  If you can get past filmore then you should be fine lol.  I haven't beaten it yet, im at marahna now.  But if you're on the fence with this, give it another shot.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 10:33:40 AM »
Funny thing. Marahna is more difficult then the final area of the game: Northwall. I don't know why that is. It was perhaps the hardest area in the original, but not in the remake. Has anyone stuck around to get a 100% in each area? Both me and my bro did.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 03:49:41 PM »
The God sim part of it looks kinda boring and that's my favorite aspect of the original, so I doubt I'll play this unless it becomes hugely discounted.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 02:10:33 AM »
Been playing this a bit and REALLY enjoying it. My only problem is that the graphics are genuinely so bad, this would be an absolute 10/10 if they had like classic sprite artists working on it instead of the cheap mobile graphics, because the music and strengthening of the plot is really really good.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Tags:

anything