Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Probible cause of Vampire legends  (Read 4973 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
I think that is from folk tales. In the past they used to believe your image in the mirror was a reflection of the soul, and because vampire are dead, they have no soul. Hence, they cast no image in a mirror.   

I've thought about this reflection theory myself but I can't agree that Vampires have no reflection. From a logical standpoint it's just not possible since the body of a vampire is like that of any other organism; made up of substance. Any physical object made visible by light will be seen in a mirror. Vampires obviously have mass and are obviously visible due to light. Even a ghost's reflection can be seen in a mirror though it is mostly transparent. I'm also confused about those folk tales regarding the absence of a soul. Vampires, zombies, etc, have souls. They just never left the body after it died so to speak which is why imo they are known as the Un-dead.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 03:33:16 AM »
Vampires, zombies, etc, have souls. They just never left the body after it died so to speak which is why imo they are known as the Un-dead.

It depends on your point of view, really. Vampires and other undead were believed to be animated corpses with no real mind of their own, at least in the past.       

It also depends on how you define "the soul".
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:39:29 AM by Nagumo »

Tags: